How to a just my sleeping patterns?

TrIVIAL/\bLue

Guest andrew

yeah if you want to adjust your sleep, just lie there until you sleep, even though it's not your normal sleeping time. you might not sleep for a while and when you get up, you will be a bit tired from the lack of sleep, but you will sleep better at that time the next night.

I use to do the same thing, sleep late and wake up at 3pm and be all sluggish. It was a beech when Monday came around.

waking up at 1pm isnt bad at all really. ive had sleep problems much worse, at times i had my days and night completely reversed, if not then id be on a 4pm to 5am schedule. my habits are normal now because since the beginning of june i been waking up at 5am mon-thursday to go to a summer class in the morning. now, no matter how late i stay up i wake up at exactlly 11am, always 11am (assuming no work or school), like an internal alarm clock. ive been drinking more water latley too, i only drink water now and that is supposed to help

I like the ideas of good diet but when coupled with yoga and real meditation, you only need a couple hours sleep at a time and you can nod off anytime you want to.

In South America behind rebel lines I slept very restfully but was always snapping to attention instantly at the slightest sense of any danger. Sometimes had to stay awake for five straight days. It was discipline that made it possible.

Yoga and meditation or martial arts and meditation helped me. They will fine tune a mind besides the other benefits to the body.

Just aman

My idea is complete opposite of all of yours. Wake up when you want to, that way...your body will goto sleep earlier, and get used to waking up earlier. The teenage body needs atleast 8 hours of sleep a day to function properly, and grow properly, just set an alarm for the time you'd like to wake up, and within a couple of days, you'll be sleeping earlier (because you'll be tired as hell).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CelticSkyhawk
Originally posted by aman

In South America behind rebel lines I slept very restfully but was always snapping to attention instantly at the slightest sense of any danger. Sometimes had to stay awake for five straight days. It was discipline that made it possible.

Five days straight? Discipline does well for that, but so does being scared out of your wits. ;)

Seriously though, I've fought problems with insomnia and narcolepsy through most of my teen and adult years. Your best bet is to learn to discipline yourself. Meditation is very helpful in relaxing for sleep. :zzz: Meditate in the early evening, go to bed 1 - 2 hours later and set your alarm for 8 hours. Your body will adapt, we're incredible beings for that ability.

You know your sharp when you always wake up five minutes before your alarm goes off, shut it off early and get up.

Meditation helps a lot, but do it right. Discipline.

It builds character.:cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

Just aman

You know your sharp when you always wake up five minutes before your alarm goes off, shut it off early and get up.

I was going to make a post on this; regarding biological clocks.

About once a week I'll wake up literally 2 or 3 seconds before my alarm clock goes off. I'm being honest here. Its getting to the point where I start reaching for the clock as soon as I wake up. Is this explainable? Or just one of those things..

About once a week?:zzz:

If you volunteer for the Peace Corps and go overseas you will wake when you want to exactly, see things more clearly and intensely, and start to get a glimpse of the human capability. I'm just using the Peace Corps as an example but any new, strange, and dangerous habitat will do.

Subjectivly from my experience we do have a clock, a very accurate clock, and much more inside us.:cool2:

Just aman

Guest CelticSkyhawk
Originally posted by aman

About once a week?:zzz:

If you volunteer for the Peace Corps and go overseas you will wake when you want to exactly, see things more clearly and intensely, and start to get a glimpse of the human capability. I'm just using the Peace Corps as an example but any new, strange, and dangerous habitat will do.

Subjectivly from my experience we do have a clock, a very accurate clock, and much more inside us.:cool2:

Just aman

I agree entirely. I have had a roommate that was notorious for coming into my room and alarm me awake. It got to a point where I would wake up as soon as the door to my room was opened or if by chance I left it open, I would wake up when he walked into the room. He wasn't noisy about it, I just woke up and I would be alert for it. Now that I'm living more comfortably, I feel okay to sleep and don't usually wake up so abrupt.

It sounds like we get really slack in our abilities when life gets to easy.:zzz:

Tblue, you need some excitement in your life. Not stress, but challenges you can deal with and feel good about.

Put some levis in a backpack and go hop a train.

Just aman

I've made the shift from night-owl to day laboror many times. For me at least, the secret is to turn the clock forward, not backwards.

Force yourself to stay up later, and allow yourself to lay in bed later. This should move your clock forward about 4 hours a day, and after a weekend of adjustment, you should be both rested and in sync.

IOW, if you get off at 7am Friday, stay up till 3, and sleep till 3 saturday. Stay up till 7 Sunday, and sleep till 7 Monday. Then you are back in sync for monday morning, with plenty of rest.

• 3 weeks later...

it is very easy

i wake at 3 am

and sleep at 6-9 pm

the way you do it is AN ALARM

put the alarm on at 3 am

try to sleep at like 11 PM

u will be immensly tired

when u go through the entire day sleep at 6 pm

and keep ur alarm at 3

u will now wake at 3 for ur cycle

• 1 month later...

I seem to remember reading somewhere that humans naturally fall into a 25 hour day cycle if they are not influenced by their environment ie. can't see if it's light outside or not.

Your body will adjust to your routine and after a few days.

When i had to work shifts during the summer my sleep patterns were extremely different one week to the next but i seemed to get into a 2-week cycle and soon adjusted.

If sleep is needed to reset the brain after long periods of use you would think that the most intelligent people should need the most sleep.

As you mentioned Faf that our enviroment does tend to eliminate the sleepy people. That would not be a positive pressure in our evolution.

Just aman