Advertising Teams and Contests

I’m an technician class amateur radio operator. But advertising is forbidden on amateur radio. Another rule is that communications can not be encrypted in signal or speech. The exception to advertising is that you can offer radio equipment for sale periodically.

I tell you this because I really wanted to use crypto over the airwaves. I have used crypto before, legally on private bands.

But back to advertising. We aren’t allowed to advertise on SFN. Can someone point me to the rule book? I don’t mean selling goods or spam ads. But what if you were putting together a team of creatives? Or trying to find fellow hams? Does anyone know if building a team over amateur airwaves is advertising? And I don’t think it is allowed on SFN.

If you post and want further communication from SFN members is that advertising even though it was an open communication? (They replied to your post without being spammed.)

And what if we announced a contest online? Amateur radio has many contests. On the Simple Yet Interesting we had a challenge. I didn’t win but I don’t consider it a complete defeat. Contests aren’t always about money. But what if users could start small contests. And the contestant wins original artwork or secret knowledge?

These are just some ideas I wanted to advertise. (Because every time you post you are essentially advertising your ideas.)

You would delete a contest? Like a programming challenge or capture the flag?

Also, posting ideas is not advertising. Such comments are not helpful in ensuring people take you seriously. 

Not as in selling a product but sharing ideas: for input, feedback, and quest for knowledge.

I may be mistaken but this doesn't feel like a 'capture the flag' sort of crowd. You can post most anything in the lounge so you could post a contest there and see if you get any traction. If you violate any rules I'm sure the mods will let you know.

I posted a challenge in Simple Yet Interesting.

I am serious. I want to see if someone here is a better programmer than me. It is a programming challenge as much as a math challenge. I think it is a good first challenge. Challenges are challenging to write.

I don’t know if most of you remember that before the Internet, magazines were the way to distribute information. For example, the RSA problem appeared in 1979 Scientific American. Also, there was a feature called the Amateur Scientist for amateur experiments.

Good magazines are hard to find today. But it leaves something that could be formatted to fit the web.

If you know of any good programming challenges or ideas, reply to this post.

37 minutes ago, Trurl said:

If you know of any good programming challenges or ideas, reply to this post.

Yes. How to represent a hierarchical structure in a table so that it is efficient for SQL queries.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:51 PM, Genady said:

Yes. How to represent a hierarchical structure in a table so that it is efficient for SQL queries

Sounds like a challenge to me. Someone in the forum probably has an answer.

Not my area of expertise, but what if we had a couple members ask ChatGPT give us starting point?

5 minutes ago, Trurl said:

Sounds like a challenge to me. Someone in the forum probably has an answer.

Not my area of expertise, but what if we had a couple members ask ChatGPT give us starting point?

Well, I know the answer. And I've just checked with ChatGPT, following your suggestion. Turned out that it knows the answer, too. Not too surprising as the answer is about 30 years old. It is a clever answer anyway.

Well I’m glad you know the answer because I don’t. So much of today’s programming is using existing libraries. That is why I like reading cryptography protocols because the main idea is simple. I really am not a good programmer. That is why GPT is a game changer. I can’t learn all the interfaces. And things I have learned are outdated. Remember Flash. I think GPT might fix this problem of languages and formats. But do you think we will end up with lots of code we have no idea how it works?

17 minutes ago, Trurl said:

But do you think we will end up with lots of code we have no idea how it works?

Yes, but not will. The legacy code issues are almost as old as the programming itself.