calcium acetate layer on evaporation

observer1

So I basically wanted to make calcium acetate. So I took some vinegar and egg shells, mixed them and kept them in a container fr about about 3 weeks. I kept an excess of eggs and it finally stopped reacting. After that, I transferred the water and calcium acetate without the shells or the egg layer using a filter. I later left the cup to evaporate fr about 2 weeks and a mostly transparent, yellowish layer started forming on top. Is is calcium acetate?

Edited by observer1

17 minutes ago, observer1 said:

yes, so is this yellow because of me using eggs or is something ELSE happening?

Hard to say but eggs most likely. There is some protein in eggshells. Also if the shells are brown, there is a protoporphyrin pigment present, which may perhaps generate a yellow colour. 

2 hours ago, observer1 said:

It was white eggs

I basically was following this video, except i did not heat it to evaporate, I lift it to evaporate
Link :-https://youtu.be/32vCLXTjnyQ

Maybe protein then. Especially if it is a skin on top. I would expect CaOAc crystals to settle out at the bottom, I think. But you must expect to have impurities if you use a a source of minerals from the environment around you. Almost nothing is pure.

On 2/23/2023 at 7:08 PM, exchemist said:

Maybe protein then. Especially if it is a skin on top. I would expect CaOAc crystals to settle out at the bottom, I think. But you must expect to have impurities if you use a a source of minerals from the environment around you. Almost nothing is pure.

btw I forgot to mention that it only appears yellow when concentrated.
When kept in a lot of water, the water appears transparent.
Also, will I be able to break the proteins if I heat them, making it somewhat whiter?

38 minutes ago, observer1 said:

To my mind this is all getting too speculative to be useful. I can only make a few suggestions as to why it is yellow. Could be protein. Could be a bit of one of the coloured porphyrin type compounds I mentioned. Could be a trace of iron, e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(III)_acetate . Or something else entirely. Eggshells, like just about anything biological, are not a pure chemical substance.  

But by all means try heating it to see what happens to the colour, or recrystallising to see if it comes out whiter.

Edited by exchemist

• 1 month later...

so basically,
it might be the organic stuff reacting with air while in water and turning yellow
to get around it, I started evaporating in a larger plate, so more surface area and faster evaporation, so not it is becoming nice long white crystals.
if i heat it it basically turns black

3 hours ago, observer1 said:

so basically,
it might be the organic stuff reacting with air while in water and turning yellow
to get around it, I started evaporating in a larger plate, so more surface area and faster evaporation, so not it is becoming nice long white crystals.
if i heat it it basically turns black

If it goes black when heated, you have some organic material present.