We’re Slow-walking Our Way to WWIII (Agree/Disagree)

iNow

• iNow changed the title to We’re Slow-walking Our Way to WWIII (Agree/Disagree)
21 minutes ago, iNow said:

We’re slow-walking our way to World War 3. 

Agree? Disagree?

Why?

Nobody can know. But if China starts supplying weapons to Russia then it could snowball, certainly. Very important that the US finds a way to make it not worth China's while to try that. 

Edited by exchemist

10 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Nobody can know. But if China starts supplying weapons to Russia then it could snowball, certainly. Very important that the US finds a way to make it not worth China's while to try that. 

I heard that it would not make that much (strategic) difference.

Don't know the reasoning behind that. 

Can China afford to take the side of Russia against Europe?

1 minute ago, geordief said:

I heard that it would not make that much (strategic) difference.

Don't know the reasoning behind that. 

Can China afford to take the side of Russia against Europe?

What do you think would be the consequences for the relationship with Europe if it did? Can Europe afford to cut off China? 

That's not the way I'd put it. If WWIII is going to happen, I'd say it's already started. Most countries are attacked daily by foreign intelligence services via multiple media, and that will be viewed in hindsight as a precursor if this becomes a global conflict. 

OTOH, I have different reasons to hope for a better outcome than I did two years ago. The threat from Iran has changed now that the regime there is being challenged internally. Turkey is in a different situation currently than it was two years ago. 

I honestly can't imagine what will happen between the US and China. Both are highly dependent on technology, and neither wants to risk damaging their own capabilities. 

I think Russia allowed their leaders to risk too much, and I hope its people are as tired of this authoritarian regime as Iranians are of theirs. I hope Putin continues to be vilified by most of the world, at least enough to keep China from teaming up with him. China doesn't want leaders who take over old territories to be criticized.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

What do you think would be the consequences for the relationship with Europe if it did? Can Europe afford to cut off China? 

It would  be very hard of course but the  economic  relationship with China has only been important in recent years .

If we have the choice between having civilised or distanced  relations between a regime that is actively propping up an assailant on its borders I  am not sure whether there is much  real choice.

Putin will not stop at Ukraine(but of course he will stop at the borders of Nato)

I suspect China is stepping in to deescalate. Xi meets with Putin. 2 days later, Russia pulls back and announces new Silk Road investments across the landmass.

Xi takes his history of internal power displays and shows the world China is already stronger than US on the global stage. US couldn’t end Ukraine conflagration, but China could. 

Or not. 

Can Europe afford to cut off China? 

Can anyone?

8 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

it's not like you can actually invade a nuclear power and take them over. 

I bet the West could invade and takeover North Korea and Iran, or India could invade Pakistan if they really wanted to. 

9 minutes ago, iNow said:

I bet the West could invade and takeover North Korea

I am sure they could, I am also equally sure that North Korea would nuke Seoul.

13 minutes ago, iNow said:

India could invade Pakistan

They could and then Pakistan would would nuke New Delhi.

Just now, Bufofrog said:

am sure they could, I am also equally sure that North Korea would nuke Seoul.

Probably Japan and potentially Singapore, too 

1 minute ago, Bufofrog said:

They could and then Pakistan would would nuke New Delhi.

Correct 

3 hours ago, iNow said:

We’re slow-walking our way to World War 3. 

Why do you think so.. ?

We are already in the middle..

No one calls conflicts as they happen..

"The Hundred Years' War" was called in its early days?

I already said in another thread what is happening:

V.P. is waiting for the current Western democratic leaders terms to end..

To replace them with ready-made sockpuppets, walking among you.

If someone is not a complete idiot, knows who are they..

They do not even hide in the darkest corner of the room..

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/02/23/trump-putin-ukraine-invasion-00010923

They openly share their affection for ass-licking..

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday described Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine as “genius” and “savvy,” praising his onetime counterpart for a move that has spurred sanctions and universal condemnation from the U.S. government and its trans-Atlantic allies.

“I went in yesterday and there was a television screen, and I said, ‘This is genius.’ Putin declares a big portion of the Ukraine — of Ukraine — Putin declares it as independent. Oh, that’s wonderful,” Trump said in a radio interview with “The Clay Travis and Buck Sexton Show.” “He used the word ‘independent’ and ‘we’re gonna go out and we’re gonna go in and we’re gonna help keep peace.’ You gotta say that’s pretty savvy.”

Just an example.

If Anonymous were smart, they would annihilate his all assets, and the all similar to him, minions, instead of all these idiotic actions in Russia..

Edited by Sensei

2 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Disagree.

"No one calls conflicts as they happen"..

BTW, Russians (etc.) do not call World War II, World War II, but "The Great Patriotic War".. and according to them it didn't start 1st September 1939, but 22 June 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Patriotic_War_(term)

History lessons in each country are completely different.. But you don't have a clue about that..

12 minutes ago, Sensei said:

"No one calls conflicts as they happen"..

BTW, Russians (etc.) do not call World War II, World War II, but "The Great Patriotic War".. and according to them it didn't start 1st September 1939, but 22 June 1941.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Patriotic_War_(term)

History lessons in each country are completely different.. But you don't have a clue about that..

And, as I and, evidently, you know, it was Russians who defeated Germany, while allies jumped in when it got clear to them that Russian are winning.

39 minutes ago, Sensei said:

But you don't have a clue about that..

Would prefer this type of thing not happen here, please. 

Is it possible you thought Zapatos was replying to your post immediately prior to his and that’s what triggered this counterpunch, bc it appears to me he was actually replying to my OP and it had nothing to do with you 

14 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Hmm. How do I respond to that without getting suspended...

You let me help 

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Turkey is in a different situation currently than it was two years ago. 

Migration to other countries after the massive earthquake disaster is likely to drive increases in right wing bile and fascism and various xenophobias.

Russia and China and NK and Iran and Saudis and Qatar etc will all likely use their programming prowess to amplify that. 

At least the Israel government has been keeping things super chill. Oh… wait. 

Love it or hate it, one thing you can say about globalization of the economy is that it makes a world war really unattractive for just about any country.  Global supply chains were a tiny sliver of what they are now, back in WW1&2.  One way to avoid war has been to make it too economically punishing for the parties involved.  Putin is an aberration, an exception to this, and now that we are entering a second year of the conflict, the slower deeper effects of sanctions will begin to manifest.  Russia will have to back down and the global appeal of authoritarian governance might take a downturn.  It's already gotten a nice kick in the pants with Bolsonaro's ouster and Trump's ongoing alienation of the GOP power brokers.

Despite their posturing, I think the named belligerents, except probably Kim, understand they still have some ways to go in military techology before they can be confident of attacking NATO. Number of boots on the ground and land area can create an exaggerated projected image of power. Manpower numbers is becoming less important with the advent of increasingly autonomous systems and hybrid warfare methods. imo. Motivation and commitment by personnell is massively important as well, as evidenced by Ukrainians.

Edited by StringJunky

11 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

I doubt there could be a world war again it's not like you can actually invade a nuclear power and take them over.  There can be world conflict, but not a world war like WWII IMO.

I agree. I'm no historian or political analyst, but this looks very much like a CWII rather than a WWIII, because the nukes are still there. Technology has completely changed the rules, and it keeps doing so. This has led to a whole newfangled model of warfare and intelligence. You only have to look at the influence of such things as the Internet, drones, and what's in store with the possibilities that AI offers.

4 hours ago, joigus said:

this looks very much like a CWII rather than a WWIII

Not if you're in one of the schools or apartment buildings or historical sites across Ukraine being struck with Russian missiles like right now. Or if your mom and sister are being raped by their soldiers, etc.