The Earth is not Accelerating Upwards.

Willem F Esterhuyse

You ask, or make the most inane statements.

Realize that in Physics we deal with models.
And if the 'reality' of the situation can best be represented bysomething accelerating, or a made-up particle which might not really exist, or any number of other assumptions which are unsupported, we explore them, and see if they lead to consequences we can observe and measure.

12 minutes ago, MigL said:

Realize that in Physics we deal with models.
And if the 'reality' of the situation can best be represented bysomething accelerating, or a made-up particle which might not really exist, or any number of other assumptions which are unsupported, we explore them, and see if they lead to consequences we can observe and measure.

+1

But we do not deal in unsupported assumptions.

We (like to think) we have sound reasons for these assumptions

52 minutes ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

If space accelerates in towards the center of Earth, where does it go?

It does and it compresses.

The compression of rocks at depth is enormous.

27 minutes ago, MigL said:

They all follow the same format. "You can't pet a hairless cat because 'petting' is defined as stroking fur! I'm going to insist on using this single, rigid definition no matter how you reply, even though I alone find it interesting and meaningful!" And the questions in the OP are always incredulity-based, which suggests they aren't being asked in good faith. I don't think it's a successful format for learning anything, and certainly hobbles any attempt at a decent discussion.

1 hour ago, Genady said:

I think that OP rather is about a centripetal acceleration.

No, I posted it, I was picturing something akin the the 'river model' which is tied to general relativity. 

1 hour ago, studiot said:

It does and it compresses.

The compression of rocks at depth is enormous.

Yes, but that's not the compression of space. 

1 minute ago, mistermack said:

No, I posted it, I was picturing something akin the the 'river model' which is tied to general relativity. 

Sorry, when I said, "I think that OP rather is about a centripetal acceleration", I meant OP in this thread we are here now, namely, Willem, 

https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/128865-the-earth-is-not-accelerating-upwards/

It does in the river model. 

In fact, if you say that space-time is curved, than that is equvalent to saying that space moves. If it didn't, space-time could never be curved. 

32 minutes ago, Genady said:

when I said, "I think that OP rather is about a centripetal acceleration",

Oh yes, I see that could be read both ways. 🙂

7 minutes ago, mistermack said:

It does in the river model. 

In fact, if you say that space-time is curved, than that is equvalent to saying that space moves. If it didn't, space-time could never be curved. 

I don't think so.

That would be true if and only if 'space' was embedded in a higher dimensional manifold.

Current theory is that this is not the case and that the physical manifold we call space is not embedded in anything.

That is possible because of Gauss famous little theorem  - The theorema egregium -  which distinguishes between intrinsic and extrinsic curvature.

1 minute ago, studiot said:

I don't think so.

You lost me there, (not your fault, mine) 

My reasoning is that if space is always stationary over time, how can you say that space-time can be curved? 

If the shape of anything is different after an elapsed time, then something has to move. 

24 minutes ago, mistermack said:

if space is always stationary over time, how can you say that space-time can be curved? 

An example could be the spacetime around non-rotating spherically symmetrical massive body, aka Schwarzschild metric. The space there is stationary, and the spacetime is curved, isn't it?

Edited by Genady

1 minute ago, Genady said:

Example could be the spacetime around non-rotating spherically symmetrical massive body, aka Schwarzschild metric. The space there is stationary, and the spacetime is curved, isn't it?

If the space there is stationary, how can a stationary object begin to move towards the massive body, without accelerating? 

5 minutes ago, mistermack said:

If the space there is stationary, how can a stationary object begin to move towards the massive body, without accelerating? 

Without accelerating? It will accelerate. How is it related to the space being stationary? Perhaps, we mean different things.

14 minutes ago, Genady said:

Without accelerating? It will accelerate. How is it related to the space being stationary? Perhaps, we mean different things.

In general relativity, the object is not considered to accelerate, but to simply float free in curved spact-time.

3 minutes ago, mistermack said:

In general relativity, the object is not considered to accelerate, but to simply float free in curved spact-time.

In GR, free falling object considered to have a locally inertial reference frame. The things float freely inside that frame, i.e., relative to the free falling object.

Relative to the outside observer who is stationary relative to the central mass, the free falling object accelerates.

1 hour ago, Genady said:

In GR, free falling object considered to have a locally inertial reference frame. The things float freely inside that frame, i.e., relative to the free falling object.

Relative to the outside observer who is stationary relative to the central mass, the free falling object accelerates.

And therefore, relative to the same outside observer, the locally inertial reference frame accelerates. 

3 hours ago, Genady said:

Yes.

Well, either the observer accelerates, or a free falling object accelerates. 
But to decide which is happening, I'm looking at which is experiencing a force. 
In general relativity, gravity is not a force. But the observer IS experiencing a force through his feet. 
So from a GR point of view, the observer is the one that is accelerating, and hence the surface that he's standing on is likewise accelerating. 
So the OP is pointing out that the surface of the Earth is accelerating upwards, away from the centre, all over the world.
So here in the UK, the surface is accelerating upwards, and on the opposite side, in New Zealand it's also accelerating upwards but in the opposite direction because the Earth is a ball. 

In the thread that I linked, I was trying to argue the notion that this happens because space (or the element of space that determines the position and motion of inertial frames) is constantly falling into massive bodies, whether they are a black hole, or a planet like the Earth.