70 sextillion visible stars

matter

I was browsing cnn.com and according to australian astronomers they found 70 sextillion stars in a strip of sky. They say thats more than all the grains of sand on the earth. That's incredible. The universe is so huge its scary. There must be intelligent life on some planet out there, but what bothers me is we may never find them. It just seems that outer space is so vast and hostile that the chances of us ever communicating with them are very slim. Even 5000 years into the future. Sure we may be more advanced in our knowledge and technology, but then we have to start our journey, and I'm sure that won't be easy. The universe is just so huge, and there are so many stars, that it seems impossible to find anything like us. If they're even trying to find us, they're having a hard time as well. We're a needle in a haystack the size of the earth. How depressing.

This guy that lives down the street from me is helping either engineer or build the machine that is going to replace the hubble. Then the universe will become even larger.

matter, cease your fear, communication is not as far out of reach as you think. seek and you will find, knock and it shall be opened unto you. Don't knock on my door though, i do not know the keyes, but i have seen them used.

hahahaha. Jk . . . . . . . . . .or not.

Originally posted by matter

according to australian astronomers they found 70 sextillion stars in a strip of sky. They say thats more than all the grains of sand on the earth. That's incredible. The universe is so huge its scary.

Heh - Yeah, you can probably hear my synapses fizzing from where you are as I try to imagine 70 sextillion stars ;)

But it's not depressing - it's awesome, absolutely FANTASTIC! The visible sky is absolutely teeming with activity - it's a busy, vibrant cosmos most likely with more variety that we can ever imagine.

:D

i know what you mean (are we talking about life in general or stars specifically(i mean life in general(you may think its weird for me to connect two 'unrelated' things but thats just the way i think))) often it seems there are so many more hopeless things in my life that even if happiness exists, its wont be something i can ever attain. But then there a few things that completely contradict this feeling, those few factors are what keep me alive.

Originally posted by matter

I don't know man. I try to remain optimistic but it just seems hopeless.

maybe we just have to find a way to sent information faster than light.

(maybe not faster than light but making space between smaller)

maybe other worlds are just waiting until we/others figured that out and then finding other intelligent live could be as simple as turning on the radio and listen to what is 'said' (if not ecrypted).