BBC science news article [Antarctic and Arctic sounds]

paulsutton

I found the following article on the BBC news science website 

The Antarctic and Arctic sounds rarely heard before

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64514258

With reference to this." a seal that sounds like it is in space". Is this me, or does this just sound sloppy. As far as i am aware sounds don't travel through the vacuum of space.   Also to make such a comparison we would need a proper frame of reference to compare the sound to, e,g an actual seal in space

I do understand the other comparisons "Singing" ice, and a seismic airgun thundering like a bomb . As for example the latter would be on earth anyway,  and ice cracks and creaks too.  

Or am I just misinterpreting that statement.

Or should I try and avoid articles that are meant to reach non scientific people.

Thanks

Paul

34 minutes ago, paulsutton said:

or does this just sound sloppy. [?]

It's sloppy journalism. A seal wouldn't make any noise in space.

I think they're referring to the reverberation in their underwater recordings. Some people associate reverberating noises with something similar done in early sci-fi movies. Dr Who probably didn't help, since the opening theme to the show features a reverberating electronic tone while the Tardis flies through space.

38 minutes ago, paulsutton said:

Or should I try and avoid articles that are meant to reach non scientific people.

Hard to tell until you read them, and then it's too late. Think of it like eating a stew made with some things that are good for you, and some that aren't. Only digest the good bits, and spit the rest in the trash.

• swansont changed the title to BBC science news article [Antarctic and Arctic sounds]
4 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I think they're referring to the reverberation in their underwater recordings. Some people associate reverberating noises with something similar done in early sci-fi movies. Dr Who probably didn't help, since the opening theme to the show features a reverberating electronic tone while the Tardis flies through space.

Hard to tell until you read them, and then it's too late. Think of it like eating a stew made with some things that are good for you, and some that aren't. Only digest the good bits, and spit the rest in the trash.

Thanks

You would think the BBC would do better than this eh

Paul

15 minutes ago, paulsutton said:

Thanks

You would think the BBC would do better than this eh

When you have advertisers to promote, you use familiar imagery. They aren't selling science.

Iirc, the first time I saw a movie/TV show where the spaceship didn't make a roar or a whoosh moving through space was Firefly in 2002. It really caught everyone's attention for a second. It seemed like they made a technical error before you realize that's the way it would be, quiet even when the engines fire.

14 hours ago, Phi for All said:

In space, no one can hear you talk ballocks. 

On 2/6/2023 at 8:29 AM, paulsutton said:

I found the following article on the BBC news science website 

The Antarctic and Arctic sounds rarely heard before

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64514258

With reference to this." a seal that sounds like it is in space". Is this me, or does this just sound sloppy. As far as i am aware sounds don't travel through the vacuum of space.   Also to make such a comparison we would need a proper frame of reference to compare the sound to, e,g an actual seal in space

I do understand the other comparisons "Singing" ice, and a seismic airgun thundering like a bomb . As for example the latter would be on earth anyway,  and ice cracks and creaks too.  

Or am I just misinterpreting that statement.

Thanks

Paul

They are trying to not be boring but they made them self look stupid.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.