Is electric wallpaper a way forward ?

studiot

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64402524

Look carefully and you will notice there is something slightly different about Kris Bilski's house in Hull.

It has no radiators.

Yet even on a -2C winter's day, it's nice and warm inside.

This is because Kris is an early adopter of electric, infrared wallpaper.

Thin, metallic sheets are hidden behind the plaster of his walls, which are connected to the mains electricity of his house.

These sheets emit heat by infrared waves.

7 hours ago, Endy0816 said:

Yeah, I was wondering about safety and what happens during eventual renovations.

Do wonder how this compares to other electric radiators.

Well if they can make it safe and allow you to paint over it with normal paint, it could be a good idea. Radiators are ugly, siting them is always a problem and they take up space. But, as some have pointed out, heat pumps give you a lot more heat per kWh of electricity, so I'm not sure how useful on a wide scale it will be. 

24 minutes ago, studiot said:

Beware these materials

If the North Atlantic Current is stopped, you will have no choice to properly insulate your homes too.

In British houses I see only bricks.. doubtful that it is a layer of bricks with a 10-20+ cm layer of air with another inner layer of bricks.

Oh wait, you are totally unprepared for this. Bummer.

Today the temperatures are -10 C at night, -5 C during the day and this is the equivalent of your UK +5.. +10 C ;)

It will be -22 C, for two weeks, according to news media..

3 hours ago, exchemist said:

Well if they can make it safe and allow you to paint over it with normal paint, it could be a good idea. Radiators are ugly, siting them is always a problem and they take up space. But, as some have pointed out, heat pumps give you a lot more heat per kWh of electricity, so I'm not sure how useful on a wide scale it will be.

I've seen newer radiators and covers that look pretty good with modern ones having more automation options, but yeah, woud still lose floor space.

I'm mainly wondering what happens when someone unwittingly hammers a nail or drills into it.

1 minute ago, Endy0816 said:

I've seen newer radiators and covers that look pretty good with modern ones having more automation options, but yeah, woud still lose floor space.

I'm mainly wondering what happens when someone unwittingly hammers a nail or drills into it.

I think I'll hang a picture there..........FfzzzzBANG...... 

1 minute ago, John Cuthber said:

That's a little like assuming that people have no internal organs because all you see is skin.

You insulate your house against heat leakage from the outside (e.g. what is visible by taking photo), not from the inside.

Otherwise, please instruct us how the British prevent heat leakage from their homes?

4 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

No.

In the UK -10 is equivalent to -10.
That's the point of having a standardised scale.

Not really. You're talking about a completely different topic at the moment.

If you expect the average minimum temperature in "winter" to be -20 C, you prepare your homes and industries differently than if you expect the average minimum temperature to be 0 C or +20 C.

Are homes in Hawaii prepared for subzero temperatures?

15 minutes ago, Sensei said:

You insulate your house against heat leakage from the outside (e.g. what is visible by taking photo), not from the inside.

Otherwise, please instruct us how the British prevent heat leakage from their homes?

If you expect the average minimum temperature in "winter" to be -20 C, you prepare your homes and industries differently than if you expect the average minimum temperature to be 0 C or +20 C.

It would help if you would stop talking in riddles. 

6 minutes ago, exchemist said:

It would help if you would stop talking in riddles. 

..I don't think I'm making any riddles in this thread.. All I said was that Brits who want to pay lower energy bills should properly insulate their homes in the first place..

2 minutes ago, Sensei said:

..I don't think I'm making any riddles in this thread.. All I said was that Brits who want to pay lower energy bills should properly insulate their homes in the first place..

How many folks died in the Grenfell disaster because of this mantra ?

Anyway this thread is about electric foil heating systems.

And the outside temperature was stated as -2C in the article.

It was also stated that the system would 'not cost less to run'.

Please keep on topic.

10 minutes ago, studiot said:

You don't know enough about building insulated fireproof buildings because you're too lazy by too much temperatures in the winter..

https://www.google.com/search?q=fireproof+styrofoam+insulation

Anyway this thread is about electric foil heating systems.

And the outside temperature was stated as -2C in the article.

Please keep on topic.

Heating and proper insulation are the same subject. One relies on the other..

Where?

"Is electric wallpaper a way forward ?" What does "a way forward" mean? i.e. what do you want to gain..

Edited by Sensei

17 minutes ago, Sensei said:

No that is not all you said. You also spoke some gibberish about -10 being equal to +5 and started blithering about bricks and Hawaii. 

None of which has anything to do with the subject under discussion. 

I'm not sure how this is an advance on underfloor heating.

In the UK, new houses are pretty well insulated, with double layer of brick and thermal block, and a cavity filled with foam. Older houses can have the empty cavity injected with foam, and older still houses are cold. But you in add an internal layer of insulation and eliminate draughts even on the oldest houses, and add double glazing and loft insulation. 

With all of the lovely cheap renewables, and ground source heat pumps, we should be fine for heating in the future. 

5 minutes ago, exchemist said:

None of which has anything to do with the subject under discussion. 

The topic of discussion was constrain only to "Is electric wallpaper the way forward?"..

..which is not a very well-defined topic of discussion..

But since you're not interested in my input, I'll stop..

7 hours ago, Sensei said:

No.

Cavity wall insulation and polystyrene sheet internal insulation show that you are wrong.
What you see on the outside is often brick.
And bricks are lousy insulation. They are structural, not thermal.

Some of their buildings are
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mauna-Kea/forecasts/4205

But that doesn't matter much.

Then why did you introduce it?

Do you really think that those who live in well insulated houses don't want to pay smaller bills?
The current issue with UK energy bills isn't insulation. It's profiteering (aided by a corrupt government). That's probably a bit beside the point..

7 hours ago, studiot said:

None. They died because some bastard wanted to save money and broke the law to do it.

You don't know enough about building insulated fireproof buildings

We have known for decades that you use fibreglass if you are worried about fire.
If you go back a bit before that we used asbestos lagging.
My 19th century house now has about 15 cm of fire retardant polyurethane foam in the roof.

What evidence do you have?

Edited by John Cuthber

'Electric wallpaper,' which uses cutting-edge infrared technology, is being installed in council homes in Greenford, promising incredible savings on energy bills and carbon emissions.

If it is as effective as expected at lowering bills and increasing energy efficiency, it could be installed on a much larger scale in council homes (and beyond).

46 minutes ago, Wanderlust12 said:

'Electric wallpaper,' which uses cutting-edge infrared technology, is being installed in council homes in Greenford, promising incredible savings on energy bills and carbon emissions.

If it is as effective as expected at lowering bills and increasing energy efficiency, it could be installed on a much larger scale in council homes (and beyond).

Reference please.

My opening article said and I quoted

On 2/6/2023 at 11:46 AM, studiot said:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.