Is tongue rolling purely genetic?

kenny1999

On Google, there are two contradictary answers. One is purely genetic so if you don't inherit some genes you can never roll your tongue no matter what. Another answer is one can learn and practice to roll their tongue even if they are born to be a  non-roller. Which one is the fact?

There is no gene for tongue rolling.  

In 1940, the prominent geneticist Alfred Sturtevant published a paper saying the ability to roll one’s tongue is based on a dominant gene. In 1952, Philip Matlock disproved Sturtevant’s findings, demonstrating that seven out of 33 identical twins didn’t share their sibling’s gift. If rolling the tongue was genetic, then identical twins would share the trait. Sturtevant later acknowledged his mistake.

On 2/3/2023 at 6:48 AM, TheVat said:

There is no gene for tongue rolling.  

In 1940, the prominent geneticist Alfred Sturtevant published a paper saying the ability to roll one’s tongue is based on a dominant gene. In 1952, Philip Matlock disproved Sturtevant’s findings, demonstrating that seven out of 33 identical twins didn’t share their sibling’s gift. If rolling the tongue was genetic, then identical twins would share the trait. Sturtevant later acknowledged his mistake.

I have been trying to roll my tongue for a long time but I can hardly roll any. Although it is not related to genes, is it unlikely for someone to practise rolling tongue if they are not able to do it on day 1?

Edited by kenny1999

10 hours ago, kenny1999 said:

I have been trying to roll my tongue for a long time but I can hardly roll any. Although it is not related to genes, is it unlikely for someone to practise rolling tongue if they are not able to do it on day 1?

Many wind musicians (especially trumpets) are occasionally called on to 'fluttertongue' which is produced by rolling the tongue. Some find it harder than others (depending on their mothertongue as much as anything else) but most seem to get the hang eventually.

There is still disagreement among geneticists on this.  You can research it on the internet, and you will find that some geneticists believe it is genetic but suffers from "incomplete penetrance" which is a situation where not all those who have a gene can express it.

42 minutes ago, OldChemE said:

There is still disagreement among geneticists on this.  You can research it on the internet, and you will find that some geneticists believe it is genetic but suffers from "incomplete penetrance" which is a situation where not all those who have a gene can express it.

It's not expressed in both identical twins all the time. I think that supports  that position: incomplete..

Edited by StringJunky