Looking for fluid mixing results I can verify

Pádraig

Hi all,

I have a mixing simulation drawn up on the programme Ansys, where I am mixing two fluids. I want to verify my mixing process, by using this process to mix two other materials and take a variable of each material (e.g. viscosity) and compare the actual final mixing value to the one that I get when I mix them in my simulaiton.

Is there a paper, site, or other available resource that contains mixing data for any two fluids?

2 hours ago, Pádraig said:

I have a mixing simulation drawn up on the programme Ansys, where I am mixing two fluids. I want to verify my mixing process, by using this process to mix two other materials and take a variable of each material (e.g. viscosity) and compare the actual final mixing value to the one that I get when I mix them in my simulaiton.

Is there a paper, site, or other available resource that contains mixing data for any two fluids?

There are, but they are usually behind paywalls.

I'd be wary of using viscosity as your parameter. A particularly important viscosity behaviour is that of a binary mixture of water and ethanol. It is highly irregular in certain proportions and certain conditions due to specific interactions between the components. You can get the experimental data easily enough, but then the question is whether Ansys contains an appropriate mixing model for that particular system. Empirical data always trumps predictive modelling. It comes down to what you're exactly trying to achieve.

Could you pick entropy instead? It follows a much more predictable path that's quite simple to calculate. Look for a wikipedia page on Entropy of Mixing. 

On 1/31/2023 at 7:20 PM, sethoflagos said:

There are, but they are usually behind paywalls.

I'd be wary of using viscosity as your parameter. A particularly important viscosity behaviour is that of a binary mixture of water and ethanol. It is highly irregular in certain proportions and certain conditions due to specific interactions between the components. You can get the experimental data easily enough, but then the question is whether Ansys contains an appropriate mixing model for that particular system. Empirical data always trumps predictive modelling. It comes down to what you're exactly trying to achieve.

Could you pick entropy instead? It follows a much more predictable path that's quite simple to calculate. Look for a wikipedia page on Entropy of Mixing. 

I can do Static Pressure and Pressure Coefficient (both 0) and Absolute Pressure, I couldn't find any setting for Entropy

On 1/31/2023 at 5:18 PM, Pádraig said:

I want to verify my mixing process,

Option 1) Perform the simulation by long hand calculation - the way we used to do this stuff.

Option 2) Depends on your precise contractual relationship with the software suppliers. 

Edited by sethoflagos