Viruses replace antibiotics

Viruses that target bacteria are known as bacteriophages. Bacteriophages have been tried as possible medicine. The idea is at least a century old or more. It is my understanding that the level of success was very limited. Experts can give you a more complete account.

Google for "bacteriophages as antibiotics" and you will find many entries.

1 hour ago, joigus said:

Viruses that target bacteria are known as bacteriophages. Bacteriophages have been tried as possible medicine. The idea is at least a century old or more. It is my understanding that the level of success was very limited. Experts can give you a more complete account.

Google for "bacteriophages as antibiotics" and you will find many entries.

Yes, thank you. I've read about it. I know it's not working right now. I wonder if in the future it will become something that will save humanity if antibiotics stop working?

Right off the top of my head, using bacteriophages by means of suitable biotechnology is by no means a crazy idea. After all they're --what-- a couple thousand bases in their nucleic acid sequence? I'm guessing the reason why it hasn't been proven efficient might be related to the human body's immune response to pieces of alien DNA/RNA set loose in the body fluids. But I don't know.

Maybe @CharonY --who is the resident expert in bio-- might find some time to answer the questions I'm just able to guess at right now.

I do remember reading that people were considering this option again.

8 minutes ago, joigus said:

Right off the top of my head, using bacteriophages by means of suitable biotechnology is by no means a crazy idea. After all they're --what-- a couple thousand bases in their nucleic acid sequence? I'm guessing the reason why it hasn't been proven efficient might be related to the human body's immune response to pieces of alien DNA/RNA set loose in the body fluids. But I don't know.

Maybe @CharonY --who is the resident expert in bio-- might find some time to answer the questions I'm just able to guess at right now.

I do remember reading that people were considering this option again.

I don't have exact information, but I have heard that this area is being studied in Georgia. I would also like you to answer the question about the possible uselessness of all antibiotics in the future is this possible?

It won't be a magic bullet. Phages have their place, but they are not ax universal as antibiotics used to be and have range of other limitations. While we need more options in the future, so far no solution presented itself. So far mitigating antibiotics use might be more important. It is bit like climate change. There are clear mid-term strategies, but we won't commit to them, so we keep hoping that somehow new technologies will save us.

20 minutes ago, PhilGeis said:
!

Moderator Note

Can you give us a quote or even a comment about how you want this document handled as part of the discussion, please? You aren't supposed to simply post links or videos or anything that has to be opened without giving the membership a reason why.