Do fish dance?

iNow

26 minutes ago, iNow said:

Oops, what?

Maybe video is unavailable outside the US??? It’s a PBS show (public broadcasting)

Yes, it says, unavailable. But I can see other PBS videos. Also, sometimes I get a message saying something like, unavailable in your area, but this just says, "This video is not available." Well, I don't think you can do anything about it :( 

15 hours ago, Genady said:

image.png.b0f7d49e71b108f07b2c1fbcd2700e2b.png

I've interpreted this dance as a "war dance" rather than a mating dance:

Considering general patterns of reef fish behaviors, the paired behavior reported here could be interpreted either as spawning or as an agonistic encounter between two males.

P. maculatus pair spawning consists of a female rising in the water column, a male coming alongside her, and then both quickly swimming 2 m - 3 m at about 45 degrees up, spawning, breaking off, and returning to the bottom [5]. The behavior reported here was different.

No eggs and milt were seen, while they are easily observable in P. maculatus spawning [6].

The fish were similar in size and shape while male P. maculatus differ from females [7, 8].

Consequently, this new behavior likely was an agonistic behavior between two males. The third P. maculatus in the vicinity during the last two observations presumably were females. … The interactive wriggling of barbels could constitute a competitive comparison of barbels by two males, similar to male insects comparing their antennas, and to male deer comparing their antlers.

1 minute ago, iNow said:

I thought perhaps this topic might generate cool tangents like "what does it mean to dance?" or "what is a fish?" or "is there music in the ocean?" but that flopped

What is a fish in the most interesting of those questions. Depending on how you define "taxon" we either are fish or fish is not a meaningful label for vertebrates.

https://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Taxon_types.htm

A taxon (pl. taxa) is any group of organisms that is given a formal taxonomic name. Loosely, a monophyletic taxon is one that includes a group of organisms descended from a single ancestor , whereas a polyphyletic taxon is composed of unrelated organisms descended from more than one ancestor. 

On 1/26/2023 at 3:33 AM, iNow said:

Oops, what?

Maybe video is unavailable outside the US??? It’s a PBS show (public broadcasting)

I see:

https://www.youtube.com/?embeds_euri=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.scienceforums.net%2F

instead of the video id..

Edited by Sensei

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, geordief said:

I tried telling that quip to my daughter but just got a deadpan expression.

Did you pronounce it bass (as in mass) or bass (as in mace)?

On 1/27/2023 at 9:31 AM, iNow said:

"what does it mean to dance?"

... and walleye enjoy it as I mullet over? Eel take you in his arms 'cause you're the gill of his breams, and you'll blush when you see the ocean's bottom!

I have to stop surfing the net!

Lol. Nice^

What got me thinking about this topic was how rhythms and movement are everywhere... our heartbeat, our circadian rhythms, the day night cycle, the phases of the moon... we feel/hear within the mothers womb... the swooshing and flowing of her movements and her rhythms... it's everywhere.

And I realized, this is common across animal species, and likely fish too... these cycles and movements and waves... we upon hearing and feeling these waves often dance to them, enjoy music as another type of wave. We even seek out music based on our mood, and our moods change when listening to different music or sounds.

So, why not fish too? We're not THAT different in this context, after all. 

And this thread seems to have confirmed that, even if only a bit. 

12 minutes ago, iNow said:

Lol. Nice^

What got me thinking about this topic was how rhythms and movement are everywhere... our heartbeat, our circadian rhythms, the day night cycle, the phases of the moon... we feel/hear within the mothers womb... the swooshing and flowing of her movements and her rhythms... it's everywhere.

And I realized, this is common across animal species, and likely fish too... these cycles and movements and waves... we upon hearing and feeling these waves often dance to them, enjoy music as another type of wave. We even seek out music based on our mood, and our moods change when listening to different music or sounds.

So, why not fish too? We're not THAT different in this context, after all. 

And this thread seems to have confirmed that, even if only a bit. 

This is what you mean, right?