Do you believe the USA really landed on the moon?

PeterBushMan

Do you believe the USA really landed on the moon?

What difference does it make what anyone “believes”?

I always felt that the best response one can give to MLHs isn’t scientific at all, but political - the USSR and Maoist China believed it to be real, and that’s to say an awful lot given the global political, military and intelligence situation back in the day. Had this been fake, you can be absolutely sure that the communist bloc would have found out about it, and oh boy would they have had a field day with that :) 

12 minutes ago, Markus Hanke said:

What difference does it make what anyone “believes”?

I always felt that the best response one can give to MLHs isn’t scientific at all, but political - the USSR and Maoist China believed it to be real, and that’s to say an awful lot given the global political, military and intelligence situation back in the day. Had this been fake, you can be absolutely sure that the communist bloc would have found out about it, and oh boy would they have had a field day with that :) 

It is so, indeed. I've watched this from within, as lived in the USSR then. The propaganda there magnified all and every failure they could find about USA, big or small. They had nothing bad to say about the Moon landing.

12 minutes ago, Genady said:

It is so, indeed. I've watched this from within, as lived in the USSR then. The propaganda there magnified all and every failure they could find about USA, big or small. They had nothing bad to say about the Moon landing.

I wasn’t around yet at the time of the moon landing itself, but I was born and grew up in a former East Bloc country myself. So ditto. A lot of mud was slung both ways across the Iron Curtain, but no one doubted the scientific and technological capabilities of the other side, for obvious reasons. I don’t know for sure, but I would also bet that the USSR remotely tracked every step of the moon mission, and intercepted each and every communication, including telemetry. Fun fact: the Soviet Luna-15 mission (a robotic attempt to collect samples of moon rock and dust) crash landed right as Apollo 11 was on the moon, and just a few hundred miles away.

Interestingly, what the USSR did deny was that there was a race to the moon going on between the two nations at all. But they never denied that the Apollo mission was successful.

7 hours ago, PeterBushMan said:

They forget their 50 years old technology?

What does this even mean? Are you suggesting the technology available at the time was insufficient? Are you so gullible that you ignore the fact that the major powers at the time were closely watching the space race? Are you saying the technology was so bad that we couldn't do go to the moon, but it was so good that it fooled everyone at the time?!

This is why conspiracy is for idiots. You can't even put together a reasonable argument, let alone support your crackpot ideas with evidence.

When Apollo 11 landed on the moon in July 1969, one of the scientific experiments deployed by Buzz Aldrin was the ‘Lunar Laser Retro-Reflector’

https://wtop.com/science/2019/07/the-experiment-still-running-on-the-moon-and-tv-re-runs-50-years-later/

“The idea behind it was we needed to accurately measure the distance between the earth and the moon, see if that distance varies, map out its orbit,” explained Todd Jaeger, a lunar laser expert who used to work at NASA, and is now with Heraeus Conamic, a German technology company that made the fused silica reflector mirrors used in the experiment.

When Buzz Aldrin left the moon lander, he laid out the reflector module on the surface that enabled scientists here on Earth to shoot a laser at the moon, and have that light reflected right back them.

“It comes back, I take that round-trip time, divide by two, multiply it times the speed of light, and great I’ve got the distance,” said Jaeger.

“The actual signal comimg back from the reflector has gone down to about 10% of what it was, but luckily lasers have gotten 10-to-100 times more powerful,” Jaeger said. “So we’ve made up for that degradation from moon dust and micrometeorite impact, etc.”

So if human being didn’t land on the moon, what have scientists been bouncing laser light off for the last 53 years  - UFOs ?

The  LLRR was also featured in an episode of of the Big Bang Theory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v52LFgUq-8&t=23s

Edited by toucana
typo - experiments

What I find hard to believe is that Buzz Aldrin keeps remarrying and is now reported to have done so again on Jan. 20, his 93rd birthday.

As Samuel Johnson said, remarriage is the triumph of hope over experience.

Of course the US didn't land on the moon. That technology is as yet beyond human capability. Just that one little capsule landed in 1969, and then four more in the following years. Only 12 guys altogether. Hardly any accomplishment at all. 

Folks, you have not followed OPs logic properly. Remember things in the past are old, and old things don't work. Which is why everything older than 30 years ago is just garbage, everything 20 years ago is suspect, everything 10 years ago barely acceptable and everything we do now is new and exciting until 5 minutes ago. 

You clearly are not going with the times of disruptive technology, where nothing really exists or persists and where we re-invent a new wheel every time someone gets high.

47 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Folks, you have not followed OPs logic properly. Remember things in the past are old, and old things don't work. Which is why everything older than 30 years ago is just garbage, everything 20 years ago is suspect, everything 10 years ago barely acceptable and everything we do now is new and exciting until 5 minutes ago. 

You clearly are not going with the times of disruptive technology, where nothing really exists or persists and where we re-invent a new wheel every time someone gets high.

It might be an age thing. There is alot more methods for faking things now, rendering greater scepticism about less tangible things, like the Apollo landings if you weren't around then,

Edited by StringJunky

4 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

It might be an age thing. There is alot more methods for faking things now, rendering greater scepticism about less tangible things, like the Apollo landings if you weren't around then,

Yes, it was the technology for successfully faking the Apollo moon landings that didn't exist 50 years ago. Not sure it exists now, but good enough for successfully faking a story about the moon landings being faked - good enough for the gullible, a low bar to step over - sure.

@PeterBushMan - Was that the best you've got? I seriously doubt the production equipment used for making model T Fords exists anymore and lots of the documentation for that equipment is likely lost too but that doesn't mean model T Fords were fake. Anyone making a model T Ford now will use different methods.