Any MENSA members here?

JacobNewton

5 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I suspect the answer would be same if the ballot was secret; for instance, in coal mine or building site a show of hand's would yeald, from the same bollot, a result that was inversely proportional.

Sorry, I don't understand your reply and/or how it relates to my earlier comment. Specifically, what does it have to do with a secrecy of the ballot and what is inversely proportional to what.

46 minutes ago, Genady said:

Sorry, I don't understand your reply and/or how it relates to my earlier comment. Specifically, what does it have to do with a secrecy of the ballot and what is inversely proportional to what.

Would you like to think you're stupid?

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

Do you want to be stupid?

I think I understand the source of our miscommunication. I don't know what "to be stupid" means except for the medical situations such as dementia.

I can understand what "stupid behavior" and "stupid decision" are, though. I certainly don't want to act stupidly or to make stupid decisions.

I could guess that "to be stupid" means to act stupidly on average, i.e., more often stupidly than not. In this case, no, I don't want that.

On 1/21/2023 at 2:39 PM, Genady said:

For example, most drivers believe that their driving is above average.

It is important to recognise that they might be right.
For the same reason that most people earn  less than the average salary.

6 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Would you like to think you're stupid?

I think the question should be "would you like others to think you are stupid?".

46 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

It is important to recognise that they might be right.

It is off topic, but I'm curious to find out if they in fact are. I don't know though how it is measured.

52 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

I think the question should be "would you like others to think you are stupid?".

Why this should be the question?

2 hours ago, Genady said:
3 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Why this should be the question?

Because the difference between a show of hands and a secret ballot is not what you vote for , but what others learn about you.

1 minute ago, John Cuthber said:

Because the difference between a show of hands and a secret ballot is not what you vote for , but what others learn about you.

I see. (It still has nothing to do with my comment to which the secret ballots thing was a reply, but it doesn't matter anymore -- ancient history.)

On 1/21/2023 at 3:06 AM, JacobNewton said:

Well, 134 is borderline genius, in fact I score around the same range at IQ tests, I've peaked at 154 on one IQ test and 122 on a mensa test. 

But the point is that IQ, theres different forms of IQ. Spacial, verbal, linguistic, music, mathematic, logic etc

You no doubt score high on the mathematical aspect of IQ tests while spacial/artistic components of IQ tests are more down your partner's line of ability.

I'm no genius and not even bordering on such, so there you go the tests fail miserably. We did the test as a bit of fun competition between siblings, I don't even know what would constitute as a good/bad/average score. I have heard 200 banded around for those considered very intelligent, so I assumed I sat just slightly above average, which would fit well with my academic and working career.  

I'm not a big fan of these types of tests for the reasons I stated in my previous posts, but they are ok for a bit of fun.  

On 1/21/2023 at 1:33 PM, swansont said:

Everything? No.

I think checking your IQ is an act of vanity in most cases. I've never been asked my IQ in a job interview or any professional setting. It never comes up in social settings. If you are checking your IQ to reassure yourself that you are smart, it's probably because you have an inferiority complex.

I don't think this is true for all cases. Some people may avoid doing the tests in fear they might score lower than they expect. So whether you do the test for vanity or whether you avoid the test in fear of disappointment both may indicate an inferiority complex. Some people are just interested in where they may fit in comparison to the average within their society, and not really have issue either way, but just accept it is what it is. Then others, myself included, who don't particularly find the tests that important just do it for a bit of fun and don't really care either way what they score (so long as they beat their sibling! lol).  

18 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

I think both questions are equally valid.

15 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Indeed, but the difference depends on the culture in which the question is asked; my original question isn't culturally dependant. 

On 1/21/2023 at 7:03 PM, swansont said:

Everything? No.

I think checking your IQ is an act of vanity in most cases. I've never been asked my IQ in a job interview or any professional setting. It never comes up in social settings. If you are checking your IQ to reassure yourself that you are smart, it's probably because you have an inferiority complex.

Knowing your IQ can be an indicator as to what professions you might excel at. e.g like Einstein, if your IQ were 160, you might feel encouraged to become a scientist. If you score high on linguistic tests, you might want to become a DJ. 

If you have a certain personality type, e.g ENTP, you might choose such and such a profession. 

IQ tests, peronality tests, are all indicators, guiding lights.

Edited by JacobNewton

14 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

Knowing your IQ can be an indicator as to…

… how well you do on IQ tests. Why laypeople still use this garbage score when it’s akin to phrenology is beyond me. 

15 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

If you score high on linguistic tests, you might want to become a DJ. 

Linguistics are writing and words. DJs are auditory and creative improv, layering of sounds. 

15 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

If you have a certain personality type, e.g ENTP, you might choose such and such a profession

Which has zero to do with IQ. You’re conflating it with Myers Briggs. 

16 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

Their primary value is entertainment, not scientific. 

7 hours ago, JacobNewton said:

Knowing your IQ can be an indicator as to what professions you might excel at. e.g like Einstein, if your IQ were 160, you might feel encouraged to become a scientist.

Are all MENSA members scientists? Did Einstein need an IQ test to encourage him to be a scientist?

7 hours ago, JacobNewton said:

If you score high on linguistic tests, you might want to become a DJ. 

If you have a certain personality type, e.g ENTP, you might choose such and such a profession. 

We were talking about IQ tests. Don’t move the goalposts.

2 hours ago, swansont said:

Are all MENSA members scientists? Did Einstein need an IQ test to encourage him to be a scientist?

We were talking about IQ tests. Don’t move the goalposts.

I'm referring to school and college students; if Adam for example were assured that his IQ was 180, he might well be persuaded to take up Science for O levels, and consequently university. 

My point being those IQ tests were designed to show the way, pave the way, act as a guiding light. (In the IQ test category, are to be found other examples of same phenomenon, personality tests, etc, just putting that out there for what its worth.)

Just now, JacobNewton said:

My point being those IQ tests were designed to show the way,

No, as John pointed out earlier, they were designed to figure out learning deficits. It is more about the IQ 90 rather than the 180 folks.

1 minute ago, JacobNewton said:

I'm referring to school and college students; if Adam for example were assured that his IQ was 180, he might well be persuaded to take up Science for O levels, and consequently university. 

And this is an awful way to decide a 

2 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

And this is an awful way to start an education. If there is no interest in the topic, the whatever the IQ is measuring is doing nothing. Universities are full of bright, bored and struggling students.

8 minutes ago, CharonY said:

No, as John pointed out earlier, they were designed to figure out learning deficits. It is more about the IQ 90 rather than the 180 folks.

And this is an awful way to decide a 

And this is an awful way to start an education. If there is no interest in the topic, the whatever the IQ is measuring is doing nothing. Universities are full of bright, bored and struggling students.

be that as it may, would you deter people from using IQ tests as a means of knowing where they stand intellectually? If so, why? Theres nothing wrong with using IQ tests like IQ detectors, to ascertain one's IQ range, with the benefits that act entails...

4 hours ago, JacobNewton said:

be that as it may, would you deter people from using IQ tests as a means of knowing where they stand intellectually? If so, why?

They could do it, if they so choose. They just should be aware that this is not an indicator of where they are intellectually. I.e. one should not misinform folks on the meaning of such measures. If you are doing well in something, you are doing well regardless of what your score might be, and vice versa.