why are religious people mocking the big bang and evolution theory?

vitttorrio

Hello! I wasn´t raised religious but i am very open to everything. On my high school i often hear other students making fun of people convinced of the big bang and evolution theory. The big bang theory came from an catholic and its not like the theories are made up. They are based on years of research (both theory and practise) and advances in technology. I just dont understand how scientifically proven facts dont fit into their concepts of world. It is just like in middle age when they didnt believe the earth is the center of the universe.

You get all kinds of regressive kookery. Like Flat Earth Theory. In the case of denying the big bang, it's simply to assert the creation of  "the world" according to their own mythology. Of course, that biblical "world" was a vanishingly small fraction of the universe of which we are aware now, and the creator-gods of the time didn't require the quantities of space, time and energy we now to know to be involved. So, in order to make their story "true", they have to pretend very hard not to know a great many things they do know and choose to deny. Hence the sarcasm and outre comparisons: it's a smoke-screen for self-deception. There is a little more to the denial of evolution: that's not just an aspersion on their deity; it's personal. They desperately want to be the special, favoured creatures of someone with super-powers. 

Edited by Peterkin

I think it is very difficult to know why people do what they do. Their personality, development, and environment affect their behavior, and then they come up with a narrative to explain and justify it, sometimes, to themselves and to others. Let me ask you: why do you want to know the answer to this question?

Science for millennia has directly challenged the church’s claims to absolute truth. These particular subjects were more of an affront to core scriptures and teachings than most others. 

They don’t care how computers and GPS work, but get nervous when others start telling them about how life is the way it is or how the observable universe seems to have begun. That’s “their” territory. 

… at least that’s what they tell people when selling their wares. 

Peoples' identity is often tied to the group they belong to. It is incredibly important to be a part of that. That is where your friends are. You have a lot invested in the group.

If you deny the beliefs of your group you are ostracizing yourself and cutting yourself off from an important part of your life. For many people it is better to not look too closely, or to entertain questions which in the long run can do you harm.

I overlook things my family members do that I would find unacceptable in others. People vote for candidates in their political party who are clearly unqualified. It is a lot more common than many people recognize.

5 hours ago, vitttorrio said:

On my high school i often hear other students making fun of people convinced of the big bang and evolution theory.

It's called 'groupthink' and the objective of the group involved is to subjugate you into accepting their ideology with threats of humiliation and ostracism. 

If you're a sheep you follow; if not then you tell them to go **** themselves..