How to separate a container containing NaHCO3 and CaCO3

observer1

1 minute ago, observer1 said:

do you mean how i am going to use the answer?

No, I mean let's hear what your ideas are for how to separate the two, before we give you the answer. 

You see, you are asking a lot of very simple questions on this forum, which makes me wonder if you are a student trying to get help with homework. Can you suggest one possible technique for separating a mixture of two solids?

• Phi for All changed the title to How to separate a container containing NaHCO3 and CaCO3
2 hours ago, exchemist said:

Can you suggest one possible technique for separating a mixture of two solids?

separation of two solids by mixing in a solution only one of it can dissolve in and getting deposition on the bottom for the other one.

37 minutes ago, observer1 said:

separation of two solids by mixing in a solution only one of it can dissolve in and getting deposition on the bottom for the other one.

Yes, that can often work. Why not look up the solubility in water for both compounds, then, to see if it might do the job in this case? 

the thing is it works in water but you need a lot of water to dissolve nahco3 and caco3 is also insoluble in water.
using iso-propanol is also not working as both the caco3 and nahco3 get clumped together in the mixture.
i cant find any solution online where one liquid is soluble to nahco3 but insoluble to caco3

would a context on why i am asking this give the answer?

Edited by observer1

15 minutes ago, observer1 said:

the thing is it works in water but you need a lot of water to dissolve nahco3 and caco3 is also insoluble in water.
using iso-propanol is also not working as both the caco3 and nahco3 get clumped together in the mixture.
i cant find any solution online where one liquid is soluble to nahco3 but insoluble to caco3

would a context on why i am asking this give the answer?

Yes the solvent would have to be water, but in principle you could separate them this way. Though I agree the solubility of sodium bicarbonate is a bit limited so it would take a lot of water and a lot of evaporation. 

Context is almost always very helpful. Without context you may get responses that are not what you are looking for.   

12 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Context is almost always very helpful. Without context you may get responses that are not what you are looking for.   

Here is what i did:-
CaCO3(eggshells) + 2CH3COOH ---> Ca(CH3COO)2 + H2O + CO2
Ca(CH3COO)2 + 2NaHCO3 ---> 2CH3COONa + CaCO3(powder) + H2O + CO2
The problem is that there is nearly no way for you to know that if the residue on the bottom of the container is caco3 or nahco3 since both are white and insoluble.
so i want a way to separate both of them

5 minutes ago, observer1 said:

Here is what i did:-
CaCO3(eggshells) + 2CH3COOH ---> Ca(CH3COO)2 + H2O + CO2
Ca(CH3COO)2 + 2NaHCO3 ---> 2CH3COONa + CaCO3(powder) + H2O + CO2
The problem is that there is nearly no way for you to know that if the residue on the bottom of the container is caco3 or nahco3 since both are white and insoluble.
so i want a way to separate both of them

Well if it's just a few eggshells you won't have much material, so you could in principle dissolve any NaHCO3. The solubility seems to be 8.7g/100ml at room temperature.

If you want to know what the precipitate is, you could try to wash it with a big excess of water and try a flame test. Ca will give you a brick red colour whereas Na will give a bright yellow. But any Na contamination can dominate because the Sodium D line(s) is(are) so strong, hence the need for washing.