The Magic Capacitor: a short science fiction story.

JacobNewton

I examined the apparatus closely. It was a blend between a capacitor and a magnet that ran on electricity. 

"What's the purpose of this capacitor?" I said.

This capacitor has the power to levitate," said Swansont quietly. 

"you mean, like a levitating shaoulin monk?" I said, curiously. 

"Yes, that's right," said Swansont boredly. 

"How does it work?" I said. 

Swansont began to explain. 

"The capacitor is powered by the force of gravity," he said. When the force of gravity is powered by the electromagnetic field, it causes a disutrbance in the gravity continuum, the field of gravity that encompasses time and space," said Swansont. 

"What happens then?" I said. 

"The field of gravity thus disturbed, causes the capacitor to levitate," he said. 

"But what's the purpose of the capacitor?" I said. 

"To cause an energgy storage, a convertor of gravitational to electromagnetic energy!" said Swansont. 

I understood immediately. 

"So basically, this magic capacitor-" 

"Magic isn't a scientific word," said Swansont sharply. 

"Oh well, this...super capacitor of sorts, basically converts electromagnetic energy to gravitational energy, after harnessing gravitational energy from the earth's core-"

"Harnessing, not quite the word I'd use myself," said Swansont. The trick is to bypass the gravitational field of the earth altogether."

"Like how rockets leave the earth's surface?" I said. 

"yes, but at sea level," said swansont. 

"How in the world-"

"Basically, after the gravity barrier is surpassed, the capacitor in question immediately converts the surplus gravity absorbed during takeoff into electromagnetic radiation" explained swansont.

I was amazed at the idea. 

"What purpose can this invention avail humanity?" I said. 

"Levitation," replied Swansont.

Disclaimer: All characters and other entities appearing here are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, dead or alive, or other real-life entities, past or present, is purely coincidental.

Edited by JacobNewton

3 minutes ago, Bufofrog said:

A silly SciFi story is not classical physics.  Not a good start...

Nevertheless, it's food for thought. What if a capacitor could be built, roughly along those lines outlined in the story, that could empower the human race to levitate like shaoulin monks?

Just now, swansont said:

You forgot the disclaimer: All characters and other entities appearing here are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, dead or alive, or other real-life entities, past or present, is purely coincidental.

haha thanks for reminding me. Er...am I legally in the wrong if I didn't add them, just curious, after all its a blog post after all :D

But in any case, added them all the same. 

Hope you enjoyed the story! 

:D

16 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

after all its a blog post after all

!

Moderator Note

No, it isn’t. If you want to do a blog, you need to do it elsewhere. This is a science discussion board.

What if a capacitor could be built, roughly along those lines outlined in the story, that could empower the human race to levitate like shaoulin monks?

That’s not how capacitors or gravity works

6 minutes ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

No, it isn’t. If you want to do a blog, you need to do it elsewhere. This is a science discussion board.

That’s not how capacitors or gravity works

Oh OK, I'll make my stories more scientifically accurate next time. 

5 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

Oh OK, I'll make my stories more scientifically accurate next time. 

!

Moderator Note

You’re missing the point. This isn’t your blog, and there isn’t a “share your stories” section. There should not be a “next time”

1 hour ago, JacobNewton said:

that could empower the human race to levitate like shaoulin monks?

It’s Shaolin, and none of them are levitating (despite their incredible training and gymnastic abilities)

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

I’m familiar with Shaolin training. I can assure you none are able to levitate

when you say 'familiar with'....are you a shaolin master yourself? Or alternatively, are you in possession of the full repertoire of the Shaolin Monk Ethos? 

Unless you are, its unlikely you could say offhand, as a casual observer, what those freaks are capable of. Ive seen videos and I'm pretty sure they can in fact levitate their powers are vested in them by virture of "being one with the cosmic energy" something like that.

I mean, Jesus could levitate because he was full of the holy spirit. Shaolin Monkeying is similar in a sense, they are possessed by the spirit of the Force, and as such their powers are beyond the beleivable, the rational. 

Edited by JacobNewton

4 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

now that is a debatable point. shaoulin monks can control the weather, the power to control the elements is vested in them via the Force. I am quite confident the ability to levitate is well within their repertoire. 

right..

image.jpeg.a9f6d00969d647b17819e3745431314a.jpeg

1 minute ago, Genady said:

image.jpeg.a9f6d00969d647b17819e3745431314a.jpeg

but you are replying without even examining the facts

6 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

when you say 'familiar with'....are you a shaolin master yourself? Or alternatively, are you in possession of the full repertoire of the Shaolin Monk Ethos? 

Unless you are, its unlikely you could say offhand, as a casual observer, what those freaks are capable of. Ive seen videos and I'm pretty sure they can in fact levitate their powers are vested in them by virture of "being one with the cosmic energy" something like that.

I mean, Jesus could levitate because he was full of the holy spirit. Shaolin Monkeying is similar in a sense, they are possessed by the spirit of the Force, and as such their powers are beyond the beleivable, the rational. 

2 minutes ago, Genady said:

Here J***s sneaks in...

Jesus, an example of They That Could Do Extraordinary stuff. Just an example, or Sai Baba, or Moses, if you prefer it. 

All these fellows could levitate because they were "on the Force" or 'possessed by the holy spirit" or "demon possessed"..

And that brings us to the definition of "demon possessed"....parallel dimesnions might have the solution. If there are parallel dimensions overlapping these dimensions, then surely there must be a manifestation of that occurence on the physical plain, like people developing special powers...on that note didn't einstein say each successive dimension controls the next one? in which case, the previous dimension overlapping this one at intervals, would manifest in out of the ordinary abilities in the denizens it possesses. 

6 minutes ago, Genady said:

image.jpeg.8c4d4da157aea87089be5869da1e0183.jpeg

oh aright i was just guessing with that one

but that aside, back to the shaoulin monk topic..shaoulin monks do have weird powers vested in them via the Force...they can do extraordinary stuff. People who levitate can probably be classified as a special creed of shaoulin monk. 

Edited by JacobNewton

More than most, but enough to know that an ethos is insufficient to overcome basic physics, with which I’m also somewhat familiar. 

as a casual observer, what those freaks are capable of. Ive seen videos and I'm pretty sure they can in fact levitate

I’ve got a bridge I want to sell you.

by the spirit of the Force

That was Star Wars, not Shaolin. 

48 minutes ago, JacobNewton said:

People who levitate can probably be classified as a special creed of shaoulin monk. 

Correct, the nonexistent one. 

1 hour ago, iNow said:

More than most, but enough to know that an ethos is insufficient to overcome basic physics, with which I’m also somewhat familiar. 

I’ve got a bridge I want to sell you.

That was Star Wars, not Shaolin. 

Correct, the nonexistent one. 

"bad physics"...it was a sc fi story!! 

"I’ve got a bridge I want to sell you"...oooh i see you're still an unbeliever, you are one of those fellows in the new testament "ye verily even if they brought back a dead relative from hades they wouldnt beelive in the kingdom of god" ...no changing a closed mind.

"

That was Star Wars, not Shaolin. "

Why nitpick

Correct, the nonexistent one.  : there are proven cases...wait let me link you...how do u explain THIS

9 hours ago, JacobNewton said:

"bad physics"...it was a sc fi story!! 

Yeah, I forgot that all your threads are ridiculous time wasters. Appreciate the reminder. 

Edited by iNow