Atlantis

flyboy

Atlantis was alluded to once by Plato (I think), and now you got people looking all over the world for the damn place. It never existed. Here are some links:

http://skepdic.com/atlantis.html

http://www.csicop.org/sb/2001-09/atlantis.html

(I don't yet know how to post links properly, so you will all have to deal with the whole thing. Sorry.....)

got any ideas?
1.Current thinking favours the Minoan civilisation, centred in the Eastern Mediterranean and destroyed by the explosive eruption of Santorini around 1500BC.

2. The West Indies present several options including Cuba, Dominica and the Bahamas. Here destruction would have been in the form of rising sea levels.

3. A maritime culture based on the Azores is a further possibility.

anyone ever think that atlantis is buried under 2 miles of ice in antarctica?

It's not. I've heard that arguement before, and completely demolished it. The entire idea and everything supporting it was a total load.

If anything, I'd go with Knossus or somewhere else nearby getting volcanized, hurricaned, and then embellished heavily.

Mokele

Was Atlantis not a city which was technologically advanced?

Why would someone disbelieve in the City of Atlantis?

Did this city not have a vast surplus of gold?

Wouldn't you consider the idea of a technologically advanced civilization using gold for conductors?

How about the total lack of any kind of evidence except for one man's record of one loony's story?

Seriously, there's more support for the existence of elves and goblins than Atlantis. At least stories about *them* are told by more than one culture.

Mokele

Was Atlantis not a city which was technologically advanced?

Did this city not have a vast surplus of gold?

It's very straightforward why it's hard to believe that Atlantis was as advanced as that Walt Disney movie made it seem, and that some of Atlantis's defenders would have you believe. Plato mentioned specifically that the Atlanteans were defeated in war by the Athenians. So unless you believe it is reasonable that an army of sandal-clad spear throwers can take down a great space-faring civilization with the latest in laser-beam weaponry and massive, armored battle titans, you may want to reconsider what you think of Atlantis's technological sophistication.

on my antarctica note, how come nobodys tried to drill into the ice and actually see whats down there?

Actually, that's most of what's happening there. The Ice cores can be used in paleoclimatology, reconstructing the history of the earth's climate. There's also a weird under-ice lake there which has been totally isolated for millions of years we're investigating.

Would you like a nice holocaust with floods everywhere?

Considering that last time Antarctica melted, the result was a *gradual* rise in sea-level and world-wide tropical or temperate temperatures (and a vast abundance of giant reptiles), sure! Shit, there were alligators in alaska then. If we were only so lucky nowadays.

Mokele

Not entirely, one can use an area but still preserve it by managing the use (hunting permits being an excellent example). If unmanaged, yes, bad things happen, but with proper management, some degree of use can coexist with preservation.

Mokele

Maybe it's just me and my cynicism, but I don't really see 'management' as 'preservation'. I really think the only way humans can preserve a thing is to stay the hell away from it. It always surprises me how well things managed themselves (before us), compared to our contemporary attemts to manage them, which always seems to result in somebody getting rich and a new MacBurger joint going up between the staff car park and the tourist coach park.

it would seem that we`ve already unwittingly altered Antartica before even setting Foot there (and a good many other places we know nothing about).

I`m with Glider here, lets learn from our mistakes and leave at least SOMETHING un "Managed".

as for Atlantis, I would hazzard to say that we`ve lost a good many more isolated civilisations besides this "Atlantis" place due to natural phenomenon. and how anyone can say it was "Technologicaly advanced" without a scrap of proof where it was even suposed to BE! is beyond me, and in the realms of Sci-Fi (and not even Good Sci-Fi at that).

Maybe it's just me and my cynicism, but I don't really see 'management' as 'preservation'. I really think the only way humans can preserve a thing is to stay the hell away from it. It always surprises me how well things managed themselves (before us), compared to our contemporary attemts to manage them, which always seems to result in somebody getting rich and a new MacBurger joint going up between the staff car park and the tourist coach park.

Offten times when arciologists (damn my spelling) discover things such as roman mosaiks they cover them up again their logic being "it's lasted 2000 years like that lets leave it for some other generation to find and enjoy"

• 2 months later...

For my take.

An advanced (for it's time) civilization around Bronze Age tech existing about 11,000 years ago. Destroyed by a natural disaster near the end of the last Ice Age.

All the garbage about psychic powers started with the Spiritualist movements during the late 19th Century, Madam Blavatsky and her ilk. The "Super Weapons" came later as different authors jumped on the money making bandwagon, by the 1970's linking nicely in with "The Bermuda Triangle".:);)

[edit] Mokele, do you have any links for the ice cores into the lake? It sounds utterly fascinating. Any life in it would surely be very unusual.[/edit]