Aphantasia is not a real condition

2 hours ago, Genady said:

We have already mentioned one example of mental representation which is not an invisible image, namely a song in one's head.

Hearing a song in your head isn't really a mental representation, though. Mental representations are different than hearing songs in your head.

3 minutes ago, ArtsyGirl said:

Hearing a song in your head isn't really a mental representation, though

Of course it is. 

4 minutes ago, ArtsyGirl said:

Mental representations are different than hearing songs in your head.

In what specific ways?

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

Of course it is. 

In what specific ways?

Because hearing songs in your head is just different than mental representations.

4 minutes ago, swansont said:

I claim that nobody makes mental images. What evidence can you present that they do?

100% of people don't form mental images is possible, A lot people form invisible mental images without visualizing is possible as well, but the phenomenon Aphantasia itself is not real and there's no evidence, I'm tired of talking about this, Let the moderators delete the thread, I'm leaving the thread, now.

13 minutes ago, ArtsyGirl said:

Because hearing songs in your head is just different than mental representations.

That’s a very forceful argument you’ve outlined. Please allow me additional time to consider it. 

Edited by iNow

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

That’s a very forceful argument you’ve outlined. Please allow me additional time to consider it. 

It's not, Hearing songs in your head is different than mental representations. I'm leaving the thread now, bye.

Edited by ArtsyGirl

2 minutes ago, ArtsyGirl said:

Hearing songs in your head is different than mental representations.

Yes. You said this the first time. It was wrong those times too, but not unclear. Merely repeating yourself adds nothing. 

8 minutes ago, iNow said:

Yes. You said this the first time. It was wrong those times too, but not unclear. Merely repeating yourself adds nothing. 

I'm sorry about that, I don't want to repeat myself, though. Yes, Hearing songs in your head is a type of mental representation.

2 minutes ago, ArtsyGirl said:

Well, you aren't, I want this thread to be deleted.

!

Moderator Note

We don't delete anything, since folks put so much work into these discussions. That kind of censorship doesn't encourage honest conversations.

14 minutes ago, Phi for All said:
!

Moderator Note

We don't delete anything, since folks put so much work into these discussions. That kind of censorship doesn't encourage honest conversations.

Yeah, I want this thread deleted now.

This thread is just bizarre, to be honest.

I am autistic, and have been involved in the neurodivergence community for quite some time, both on a local and an international level. Aphantasia is a relatively common comorbidity for people on the spectrum; I personally know 3 (maybe 4) fellow autistic people who have this, and my social circle is by no means large. Even among the general neurotypical population, this isn’t rare - there has been a study conducted on this only a few months ago:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1053810021001690

Evidently, aphantasia and its opposite - hyperphantasia - are very much real. Claiming otherwise isn’t just ignoring the evidence, but - and that’s much worse - it is dismissing and invalidating the suffering and challenges of those who have it, because this has a very real impact on people’s lives.

Edited by Markus Hanke

1 hour ago, Markus Hanke said:

I am autistic, and have been involved in the neurodivergence community for quite some time, both on a local and an international level. Aphantasia is a relatively common comorbidity for people on the spectrum; I personally know 3 (maybe 4) fellow autistic people who have this, and my social circle is by no means large. Even among the general neurotypical population, this isn’t rare - there has been a study conducted on this only a few months ago:

Evidently, aphantasia and its opposite - hyperphantasia - are very much real. Claiming otherwise isn’t just ignoring the evidence, but - and that’s much worse - it is dismissing and invalidating the suffering and challenges of those who have it, because this has a very real impact on people’s lives.

Markus, this has taught me several things I did not know. 

As usual, when you post....😃 

3 hours ago, Markus Hanke said:

The comorbidity isn't very much real, It's a very unexplained phenomenon and no one knows for sure that this phenomenon has evidence or not, It occurs very much in the stone age, that 100% of cave people didn't form mental images or formed invisible mental images or imagine without visualizing. I'm sorry if I said to you guys that the phenomenon isn't real, but it's very unexplained like Bigfoot that the phenomenon doesn't exist but not forming mental images isn't possible. but people who don't form mental images or forming invisible mental images still have imagination because most things in imagination are merely invisible like a imaginary friend.

Edited by ArtsyGirl