Ancient Rome teaches us about self healing concrete

TheVat

https://www.sciencealert.com/we-finally-know-how-ancient-roman-concrete-was-so-durable

Recent research finds that lime clasts in Roman concrete, formerly thought to be poor mixing, served a vital purpose.  (I was first introduced to the wonders of Roman concrete in Robert Harris' novel, Pompeii)

Maybe this could help save those seaside condo foundations in Florida that are so beset with problems.

Just now, TheVat said:

Ancient Rome teaches us about self-healing concrete

When I read the title, I thought, this must be in the politics section..

Oh, well..

Optimates have been, after all, conquered.. So, no, "concrete" has been conquered by populares..

Just now, TheVat said:

Maybe this could help save those seaside condo foundations in Florida that are so beset with problems.

..Mar-a-Lago is the center of "concrete" in the U.S. ATM..

13 hours ago, TheVat said:

That's an interesting article.

The heat generated would probably be a major problem for large pours unless you had many slaves handy.

On 1/7/2023 at 5:22 PM, TheVat said:

https://www.sciencealert.com/we-finally-know-how-ancient-roman-concrete-was-so-durable

Recent research finds that lime clasts in Roman concrete, formerly thought to be poor mixing, served a vital purpose.  (I was first introduced to the wonders of Roman concrete in Robert Harris' novel, Pompeii)

I cannot answer for florida foundations problems since you have provided no details.

However it is worth pointing out that there is a huge difference between the chemistry of lime-carbonate 'concrete' and the modern portland cement alumino-silicate based concrete, that the Romans had no knowledge of.

One major difference that is known is that the carbonate concrete never stops hardening, but this proces is slow, taking centuries to millenia.
So I am not suprised to learn that the Romans developed accelerators.

I see from the article that the example is of unreinforced concrete.

That too is not suprising.

Carbonate concrete pH is inappropriate for protecting iron and steel against corrosion, unlike portland concrete.

This is posted in Engineering so it is unclear whether this is a scientific announcement about carbonate concrete or a question about failures in Florida  ?

Good discussion base either way. +1

A couple of years back I posted an article (SCIAM if I remember correctly) about the Roman stuff.