'Six Strikes & You Are Out ?'

toucana

3 hours ago, mistermack said:

I think we're spoilt here in the UK, having a fairly simple system that works. The ruling party hires and fires the PM. Genius !!

Having said that, you need a majority to make it work well. Coalitions are a different story.

Yeah, Constitution wasn't written with any Parties existing in mind.

They're not in there anywhere lol.

Edited by Endy0816

3 hours ago, mistermack said:

It's a new era now, and people are prepared to do stuff that people in the past would not have contemplated.... Maybe that  sort of stuff used to go on in the background. 

This was what I was replying to, in your earlier post, but perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by "people in the past."   In any case, there are several examples throughout our history where that sort of stuff was going on in the foreground, with Jackson being the first of several "we were robbed" grudge-holders who made allegations of fraud and corruption and showered the winning candidate with criticism and charges of illegitimacy.    

Sorry you got a neg vote - that was not from me.

21 minutes ago, TheVat said:

This was what I was replying to, in your earlier post, but perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by "people in the past." 

I didn't really think too much about that phrase, because I was contrasting the 2,000 election with the last one, so that's what I meant by 'it's a new era now'. 

I wouldn't say the past was squeaky clean by any means, but most of it happened in the shadows, it wasn't done in broad daylight and been supported by half of the population, like Trumps exploits. 

In the context of American history in my lifetime, Donald Trump's attempts to overturn the election are something new and sinister. Especially given the support he still has, and that he's not locked up. 

32 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Sorry you got a neg vote - that was not from me.

I wear them with pride !!

Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen shared today that unless the House (the one who took 16 tries to elect a Speaker) votes to raise the debt ceiling (i.e. agrees to pay for spending they’ve already done and put on the credit card) by Thursday (6 days away), the US will default. 

Edited by iNow

• 3 weeks later...