'Six Strikes & You Are Out ?'

toucana

Kevin McCarthy’s loss in the ballot to become Speaker of the House marks the first time such a thing has happened in US Congressional history since 1923, when it took 9 ballots to elect Fredrick Gillet (R-Mass) as Speaker of the House.

After losing a sixth straight ballot earlier today, Kevin McCarthy reportedly said that he had no problem in breaking the record for the number of ballot attempts on the Speakership. It is not clear however that he understands quite how high that bar might be.

In 1855 it took 133 ballots over the course of two months for the 34th Congress to elect Nathaniel Banks as their new presiding officer and Speaker of the House - Anyone care to start a sweepstake on how long this could run ?

11 minutes ago, toucana said:

Kevin McCarthy’s loss in the ballot to become Speaker of the House marks the first time such a thing has happened in US Congressional history since 1923, when it took 9 ballots to elect Fredrick Gillet (R-Mass) as Speaker of the House.

After losing a sixth straight ballot earlier today, Kevin McCarthy reportedly said that he had no problem in breaking the record for the number of ballot attempts on the Speakership. It is not clear however that he understands quite how high that bar might be.

In 1855 it took 133 ballots over the course of two months for the 34th Congress to elect Nathaniel Banks as their new presiding officer and Speaker of the House - Anyone care to start a sweepstake on how long this could run ?

If those are the historical  precedents,why should this time be much different?

Consensus seems to be a dirty word these days and everyone seems to play the game for their own reward and at others' expense. 

Who,I wonder loses out if this drags on?Do they all think they are winners?

53 minutes ago, geordief said:

Who,I wonder loses out if this drags on?Do they all think they are winners?

No governing can occur until the speaker is elected. No legislation brought to the floor nor voted upon. No ensuring funding or avoiding shutdowns.

Also… No other newly elected representatives from across the entire country can be sworn in to begin their new role in congress until the new speaker is chosen.

Given who’s voting against McCarthy, I suspect humiliating him is only a secondary motivation, the primary motivation being “we’re January 6 insurging election deniers and we still have other ways to prevent people from taking their seats… ways to mandate that we control all of the most powerful committees and grinding all gears to a halt.”

Edited by iNow

I am enjoying that Patty Murray is currently second in line of succession to the POTUS.  

Though highly unlikely, it is amusing to contemplate that only six people would need to jump ship to elect Hakeem Jeffries.  Five, if "Present" changes their vote.

5 minutes ago, Endy0816 said:

I'm actually happy to see more classic US politics again. Lot more engaging.

“Classic” as in nothing “like this has ever happened before, and the nearest event that was even remotely similar was over 100 years ago?”

This is too much for Marj Green, which surprises me, given that she is part of Freedom Caucus. Matt Gaetz put this up on her Twitter:

Gaetz.thumb.jpg.d6d8b1cb1a9a00643b7fabbea4bf9ad2.jpg

Gives one an insight where the rebels are coming from... trolling Congress. Does it presage the future? Do you think McConnell will try and mitigate the Caucus's efforts by working more across the aisle with Biden? Looks like the creme de la creme of shit shows coming to the House this session..

Edited by StringJunky

41 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Gives one an insight where the rebels are coming from... trolling Congress.

That plus “owning the libs” constitutes their ENTIRE “policy” agenda. 

42 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Does it presage the future?

Depends on how we the voters respond in aggregate

42 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Do you think McConnell will try and mitigate the Caucus's efforts by working more across the aisle with Biden?

I do, yes, hence todays photo op with them both together 

3 hours ago, iNow said:

“Classic” as in nothing “like this has ever happened before, and the nearest event that was even remotely similar was over 100 years ago?”

Eh, been awhile. I feel like sometimes we need to embrace our more chaotic roots. Maybe they'll end up reaching across the aisle for votes or just for some to dip out, who knows?

Is kind of weird it's like various aspects are shifting back. TPA expiring is another one. Going to be interesting.

Edited by Endy0816

How important is the speakership to the Reps if they  have a majority anyway?

Could they even let the Dems have the post so long as they could exercise

power through  that majority?

(Edit: if they cannot unite on this issue is that disunity going to dog them all the way even after this issue is resolved?)

Edited by geordief

56 minutes ago, geordief said:

How important is the speakership to the Reps if they  have a majority anyway?

Could they even let the Dems have the post so long as they could exercise

power through  that majority?

(Edit: if they cannot unite on this issue is that disunity going to dog them all the way even after this issue is resolved?)

I think the ultraconservative bloc that put up Donalds is like a dog chasing a car.  Perhaps the Democrats should all vote for Donalds: OK, you caught the car.  Now what?

7 hours ago, swansont said:

Rumor has it that they’re going to nominate Mike Lindell to be Myspeaker.

Well they could use someone who can feather their nest.  

10 minutes ago, TheVat said:

I think the ultraconservative bloc that put up Donalds is like a dog chasing a car.  Perhaps the Democrats should all vote for Donalds: OK, you caught the car.  Now what?

Well they could use someone who can feather their nest.  

Could the Dems nominate someone else  for giggles  to take even more advantage of and draw attention  to the Reps' discomforture? Ivanka?

McCarthy previously negotiated that 6 votes is enough to force a broader vote of No Confidence on him. If 218 then later vote to remove him, he’d be gone and need to be replaced. It would start this whole cycle over again.

Last night, he then sweetened the deal and offered for ONLY 1 vote to be enough to force a vote of No Confidence on him as the Speaker. His offer is to change House rules to allow that possibility. 

If it happens, that’s gonna throw a monkey wrench into the already gummy gears of governance if every 7 minutes or so there’s another No Confidence vote on him as the Speaker. 

Worse? During any debt ceiling votes (where congress must agree to pay bills on spending we’ve already done), they could simply remove him from his chair to prevent the debt ceiling funding vote from even being allowed (votes can’t be called / can’t happen if there’s no Speaker to call them).

The government would shutdown. Social security and Medicare payments wouldn’t be made. Post offices would close. Veterans healthcare would shutdown and military would be limited to essential personnel. All others wouldn’t be able to pay their rent, heating, or food bills. National monuments and parks would close, and… 

All because ONE Representative asked for a vote of No Confidence on McCarthy at a strategic and extremely inopportune time. It’s madness. 

48 minutes ago, zapatos said:

The job has some real power. Appointing members to committees for example.

It’s also 2nd in line for the presidency behind only the VP. 

Edited by iNow

4 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

McCarthy's capitulation shows how spineless and needy he is. It's not good for the country, but this guy  has less spine than a wet paper bag and deserves what he's going through. All he's harped on about is revenge.

As did his speaking out against Trump after the January 6 insurrection only to then very shortly thereafter fly to Maralago and beg forgives, kiss the ring, lick Donald’s hiney hole, etc. 

12 minutes ago, iNow said:

As did his speaking out against Trump after the January 6 insurrection only to then very shortly thereafter fly to Maralago and beg forgives, kiss the ring, lick Donald’s hiney hole, etc. 

He obviously never read Aesop's Fables as a youngster. I might be showing my age here. :D 

"A great conflict was about to come off between the Birds and the Beasts. When the two armies were collected together the Bat hesitated which to join. The Birds that passed his perch said: “Come with us”; but he said: “I am a Beast.”
Later on, some Beasts who were passing underneath him looked up and said: “Come with us”; but he said: “I am a Bird.”
Luckily at the last moment peace was made, and no battle took place, so the Bat came to the Birds and wished to join in the rejoicings, but they all turned against him and he had to fly away. He then went to the Beasts, but soon had to beat a retreat, or else they would have torn him to pieces. “Ah,” said the Bat, “I see now, “He that is neither one thing nor the other has no friends.”

It's pertinent especially to Manchin and Sinema as well. I rate them about the same as McCarthy.

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, iNow said:

It’s also 2nd in line for the presidency behind only the VP. 

Interestingly, today the second in line is Democratic Senator Patty Murray. As president pro tem she would normally be third in line, just behind the speaker of the house, but since there is no speaker of the house...

6 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

He obviously never read Aesop's Fables as a youngster. I might be showing my age here. :D 

"A great conflict was about to come off between the Birds and the Beasts. When the two armies were collected together the Bat hesitated which to join. The Birds that passed his perch said: “Come with us”; but he said: “I am a Beast.”
Later on, some Beasts who were passing underneath him looked up and said: “Come with us”; but he said: “I am a Bird.”
Luckily at the last moment peace was made, and no battle took place, so the Bat came to the Birds and wished to join in the rejoicings, but they all turned against him and he had to fly away. He then went to the Beasts, but soon had to beat a retreat, or else they would have torn him to pieces. “Ah,” said the Bat, “I see now, “He that is neither one thing nor the other has no friends.”

It's pertinent especially to Manchin and Sinema as well. I rate them about the same as McCarthy.

Aesop rocks😀

25 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Interestingly, today the second in line is Democratic Senator Patty Murray. As president pro tem she would normally be third in line, just behind the speaker of the house, but since there is no speaker of the house...

I could see McConnell getting behind that if it looks irreconcilable any other way. It looks like a compulsory two-way negotiating street this session.  With it being so close, 'extreme' agendas from either side are going to skid.

Edited by StringJunky

I suspect McCarthy's promise to bow to one NC vote from the "Freedom Caucus" is about as binding as the Treaty of Fort Laramie or the Munich agreement.  It's pure theater, and I'm sure he's already calculating ways to delegitimize any such vote.  The loathing the F Caucus has for him is probably reciprocated.