Religion factor

sanjibseo

30 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Religion's do, it's people that don't.

That's demonstrably false, but makes a snappy sound byte. 

Most religions place their deity at the top, and then rank all the pious in order of worthiness, with church leaders high on the totem pole, church patrons below them, regular church members below them, members of false religions are further down, atheists are down there too, and everyone else in the world they don't like somewhere below that. Why should anyone respect a hierarchy that judges them disrespectfully, that doesn't take their humanity into account but instead berates them for it, using humanity as a synonym for "flawed" and "weak" and "sinful"?

8 hours ago, sanjibseo said:

Everybody should respect their religion

Or lack thereof.

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

No. I’ll do what I want. Keep your childish fairy tales to yourself you deluded fool. 

lol. Too over the top?

Maybe a tad, but the opening post is a tad naive as well. It's like saying "Everybody should respect their parents", until you hear about parents that should be put in jail for what they've done to their children. Respect? I'm with Genady, it should be earned, not expected. 

20 minutes ago, iNow said:

lol. Too over the top?

I suppose it depends on where you put the top. Also, I haven't heard the particular fairy tales we're talking about. Usually, fairy tales put me to sleep, something I'm in sore need of lately. ;)

8 hours ago, sanjibseo said:

Everybody should respect their religion

Why? What is gained from respecting a concept without taking into consideration the methods of its practice? What is lost by disrespecting or even despising some or all of the tenets, rituals and mythos of a religion?

How does a religion become "their" religion? Did they invent it? Did they choose it? Did they inherit it? Was it forced on them? 

On 12/20/2022 at 3:11 PM, Phi for All said:

Why should anyone respect a hierarchy that judges them disrespectfully, that doesn't take their humanity into account but instead berates them for it, using humanity as a synonym for "flawed" and "weak" and "sinful"?

Careful, my mortal friend, with words, what about "aliens" i.e. extraterrestrial life forms, living or not i.e. artificial.. ;)

BTW, aren't people flawed, weak and sinful? (including the "hierarchy that judges" especially, since they have access to $$$ to a much greater extent than the common human).

In capitalist countries, since the beginning, children are taught about the "value of money" and that everything revolves around money all the time..

Child: "Why we can't do this or that?!" Parents: "We have no money"..

(It's "funny" that if someone has "money", they rarely spend it wisely..)

Their further sins are the result of teaching them that money rules the world (at least in capitalist countries)..

Edited by Sensei

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

aren't people flawed, weak and sinful?

I don't think so.

children are taught about the "value of money" and that everything revolves around money all the time

Children are taught many things, but that is what they learn.

the result of teaching them that money rules the world (at least in capitalist countries)

In non-capitalist countries they are not explicitly taught this - but this is what they learn anyway

3 hours ago, Sensei said:

In capitalist countries, since the beginning, children are taught about the "value of money" and that everything revolves around money all the time.

I think we're curently in the capitalism end game, by which I mean, children are not taught about value at all; they are bombarded by made up dream's, which is avaliable to everyone and if you can't afford it now, we have a plan 😉...

1 hour ago, Genady said:

Children are taught many things, but that is what they learn.

In non-capitalist countries they are not explicitly taught this - but this is what they learn anyway

If only we had a PhD student to investigate the value of money...

3 hours ago, Genady said:

Which countries are those? And how did they slip the noose of global capital? Or are they something other than capitalist in name only? 

1 hour ago, Genady said:

I'm talking about the old USSR.

So: in name only. Not only did the ruble not fade away, but its market value continued to be set against the US $ (hard currency, at that time) and people who didn't have enough rubles didn't get bread, while the commissars were importing patisserie and emmenthal.

Edited by Peterkin

2 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

So: in name only. Not only did the ruble not fade away, but its market value continued to be set against the US $ (hard currency, at that time) and people who didn't have enough rubles didn't get bread, while the commissars were importing patisserie and emmenthal.

Exactly. This was the reality and people learned from it. My point is that it doesn't matter very much what one is taught, by parents, teachers, leaders, etc.

Most people should be able to differentiate between religious beliefs and fairy tales ( as INow states ), and some of the sentiments expressed by religion, like peace and good will for all, which can be worthy of respect.

Religion is a human construct and as such, it has flaws which can be exploited by the unscrupulous to their advantage and the suffering of the many. But religion does have some redeeming qualities, like the sentiment mentioned above.
Should we throw out the baby with the bathwater ?

10 hours ago, Externet said:

Fear + ignorance = religion = that thing zillions of people pray about daily for the last 5000 years with zero point zero results nor a single response ever and will continue like that.

Religion is like our favourite comedian, they make us laugh and feel better, and they all take the piss out of each other, which is funny; but wo betide the funny man that takes the piss out of our favourite comedian.

Ricky Gervais is not the same as God, but in 5000 year's some people will still get the joke.

Fear - joke = Ignorance.   

22 hours ago, MigL said:

Should we throw out the baby with the bathwater ?

Yes.

Hitler wasn't all bad. He made the trains run on time, built motorways and handy little air cooled cars, and kitted his troops out in some pretty snazzy uniforms. Unfortunately, he did have his little faults as well.

So if someone had thrown him out with the bathwater when he was a baby, the world would be a bit nicer now. 

Religion is an obnoxious baby that grows bigger, takes over peoples minds, and becomes self-supporting by indoctrination, quite like Hitler. 

We can get the good bits of religion without the indoctrination of the next generation.