Please name some practical solutions to combat littering.

JohnPBailey

17 minutes ago, Sensei said:

People cut off the hands of thieves, kill murderers, etc. and what.. nothing.. It didn't work..

It might be a bit extreme, but where's the evidence it doesn't work? A friend of mine worked in Saudi some years ago, and currency traders would sit on the pavement, with great wads of cash of different currencies surrounding them. Nobody ever robbed them.

And one murder doesn't mean that people aren't deterred by the death penalty. (although I'm against it) It might have deterred 19 out of 20, how can you be sure?

On 12/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, studiot said:

There were lots of bins proclaiming loudly  "Papier Hier"     (Perhaps @Eise will sort my spellin ?"  as you passed

I think they also said "Dank u Vell"  if you put something in.

Yep, "Papier hier" is correct. Phonetically you are very close with "Dank u Vell", correct spelling is "Dankuwel". Not so extreme as in German, but in Dutch we also glue words together.

10 hours ago, mistermack said:

It might be a bit extreme, but where's the evidence it doesn't work? A friend of mine worked in Saudi some years ago, and currency traders would sit on the pavement, with great wads of cash of different currencies surrounding them. Nobody ever robbed them.

And one murder doesn't mean that people aren't deterred by the death penalty. (although I'm against it) It might have deterred 19 out of 20, how can you be sure?

Again I sympathise with this and can confirm both experiences. +1

When I worked in Saudi, I found the best way to be paid was to be paid in Saudi Riyals in cash and take the cash to one of those money traders in a souk (which is a rabbit warren of alleys) to be changed into steerling.

One day when I went to one of these the guy had a little kiosk, with neat piles of money on shelves behind him dollars, sterling, marks etc. As I arrived he took of his headress and spread it over the shelves. Then he wandered off somewhare down the alley, without a backward glance, for a glass of chai.

On another occasion there was a gold trader with a proper shop (garage). at some point he had too many gold bars so he put some outside in a box.
After a few days, temptation got to much for an itinerant worker and he helped himself to a couple.

I learned later that the police had cut off a hand.

Now I don't condone quite a few arab practices but I can say this regime worked in general.
I can definitely say that I felt much safer in that rabbit warren souk, as did properly dressed lone western women, than I would do in any other comparable rabbit warren anywhere else in the world.

2 hours ago, Eise said:

Yep, "Papier hier" is correct. Phonetically you are very close with "Dank u Vell", correct spelling is "Dankuwel". Not so extreme as in German, but in Dutch we also glue words together.

Thanks. +1

I hope you also got the joke.

2 hours ago, studiot said:

When I worked in Saudi, I found the best way to be paid was to be paid in Saudi Riyals in cash and take the cash to one of those money traders in a souk (which is a rabbit warren of alleys) to be changed into steerling.

One day when I went to one of these the guy had a little kiosk, with neat piles of money on shelves behind him dollars, sterling, marks etc. As I arrived he took of his headress and spread it over the shelves. Then he wandered off somewhare down the alley, without a backward glance, for a glass of chai.

On another occasion there was a gold trader with a proper shop (garage). at some point he had too many gold bars so he put some outside in a box.
After a few days, temptation got to much for an itinerant worker and he helped himself to a couple.

I learned later that the police had cut off a hand.

Now I don't condone quite a few arab practices but I can say this regime worked in general.
I can definitely say that I felt much safer in that rabbit warren souk, as did properly dressed lone western women, than I would do in any other comparable rabbit warren anywhere else in the world.

Part of that is the culture they live in, as described in my dog shit analog; the punishment is almost irrelevant if one is always seen and most people buy into the righteousness of the crime; in a rabbit warren there are lots of places for hidden eyes to witness without being seen.

In a park there's nothing for the hidden eyes to hide behind.

23 hours ago, mistermack said:

Was there a point?  I stopped looking for a point in your posts a long long time ago !

Well, I can't force you too pay attention... 🤓 

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

Part of that is the culture they live in, as described in my dog shit analog; the punishment is almost irrelevant if one is always seen and most people buy into the righteousness of the crime; in a rabbit warren there are lots of places for hidden eyes to witness without being seen.

In a park there's nothing for the hidden eyes to hide behind.

I really don't see how this is relevent to anything I said.

Perhaps that is because I did not spell out my line of thinking in so many words.

What is the use of a thousand witnesses and all angle camera footage if the authorities refuse/fail to act ?

It is not the threat/fear of being seen it is the threat of being caught and punished.

About the culture, there are also things I liked about Saudi culture, they appear more honest that most cultures I have visited, sadly including my own.

20 hours ago, mistermack said:

No

What a well reasoned reply... 🤔

The only type of criminal that wants to be seen committing a crime (terrorist's), doesn't expect to live, or get away with it; that would be the very definition of someone that does not care what the punishment is.

What about criminal's that think they can't be seen, camo, disguise etc. but are uncovered by forensics, I hear you, potentially, argue; dude, we are talking about petty littering, "no one expected the Spanish inquisition". 😇

Don't even get me started on fly tipping... 😣

Edited by dimreepr

• 1 month later...