Difference between biologists and mathematicians

noha

Hello,

I have a question from a book called Models of mind by Grace Lindsay

Here the writer talks about the difference between biologists and mathematicians and I couldn't get the point here:

Biologists study living things that are abundant with specific traits and nuanced exceptions to any rule.
Mathematicians – driven by simplicity, elegance and the need to make things manageable – squash that abundance when they put it into equations. 

3 minutes ago, noha said:
Hello,

Here the writer talks about the difference between biologists and mathematicians and I couldn't get the point here:

Biologists study living things that are abundant with specific traits and nuanced exceptions to any rule.
Mathematicians – driven by simplicity, elegance and the need to make things manageable – squash that abundance when they put it into equations. 

Sorry, but being both mathematician and biologist by formal training, I call both statements bs.

Mathematical models can be a lot simpler than the systems they approximate. (Economics is another good example.) It's hard to include exceptions in them without sacrificing their simplicity, which is useful for analysis. Sort of like trying to indicate a point on a map when you're wearing a boxing glove. 😋

9 minutes ago, Genady said:

Sorry, but being both mathematician and biologist by formal training, I call both statements bs.

Being formally trained in mathematical modeling, I call both statements God's honest truth! 😄

Hi Genady! Nice to meet you. 🙂

Edited by Lorentz Jr

And yet most people say that biology is simpler than math (or maths), pick a biology rather than math class, and run away or faint just at a sight of an equation. :)  

Math uncovers a simplicity hidden under a complex appearance.

34 minutes ago, noha said:
Hello,

Gosh I feel the judgement of Solomon is called for in the light of diametriclly opposite answere so far.

Noha you have mentioned 'context' in many of your questions so far.

This is good because I feel this is the key to the answer to your question.

Both biologists and mathematicians are (well some are)  good scientists.

They are good because both are aware that any scientific analysis depends upon the conditions (the context).

Biologists embrace these nuances within their scheme of things and let the reader decide what is and is not in context.

Mathematicians incorporate context into their statements limiting what unwanted nuances through the 'domain of definition' or boundary conditions etc.

Just different approaches to the same problem.

Does this help ?