Time Wasters

Just now, iNow said:

You “allowed?” Why thank you for being so benevolent, your highness 

Oh, is doing what people suggested arrogant now? "allow" was zapatos's word, not mine.

Oh well, I guess I challenged too popular of a troll. This is what I get for being so naïve.

3 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

How long is long enough? I allowed a discussion to continue for three pages, and all I got was changing the subject, ignoring comments, quoting dictionary definitions, and outright misinformation.

You've clearly decided there is no need for a review of your posting style despite the suggestion of several people. So be it. I anticipate you'll limit your own potential success here.

12 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

What things do you think I repeatedly got wrong while presenting myself as an expert?

You are focusing on the part about being right or wrong; which are not against the rules.
We are all here to learn. I've been wrong lots of times, as I'm sure you have; allow others the same courtesy.

And referring to someone as a 'moron' is against the rules; even if as a choice between troll or moron.

5 minutes ago, MigL said:

You are focusing on the part about being right or wrong; which are not against the rules.

I'm focusing on the part about insulting other people's intelligence by answering nontrivial scientific questions with dictionary definitions. That's not being wrong, it's dumping on the other person's ego.

5 minutes ago, MigL said:

And referring to someone as a 'moron' is against the rules; even if as a choice between troll or moron.

Either you know you're BSing or you don't know you're BSing. Those are the choices.

Edited by Lorentz Jr

4 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

I anticipate I'll be banned because I called out a popular poster for trolling.

No one has ever been banned for having a difference of opinion with another poster.

And you convince others to your point of view with a robust argument; not complaints.
Why not just drop it and concentrate on your posts; not complaining about others' ?

6 minutes ago, Lorentz Jr said:

I'm focusing on the part about insulting other people's intelligence by answering nontrivial scientific questions with dictionary definitions.

Not everyone around here is an expert. If I think in terms of the dictionary definition I'm familiar with I may quote it to let you know why I am saying what I am saying.

Choosing the most respectful interpretation of what someone says is a good option.

Choosing to simply ask why they are giving a dictionary definition when you were expecting something more involved is another good option.

You can also choose to take what they say as a personal affront, but I'm not so sure that is what I'd call a good option unless you value confrontation over discussion.

12 hours ago, Lorentz Jr said:

I'm focusing on the part about insulting other people's intelligence by answering nontrivial scientific questions with dictionary definitions. That's not being wrong, it's dumping on the other person's ego.

Perhaps you missed the part about protecting fragile egos being on the other side of the line. That’s not a civility issue.

Discussions here are not private, one-on-one conversations. Posting more detail than you personally might require can happen because others might pop up with questions that can be headed off that way, and since people are not telepathic, knowing your level of understanding isn’t a given. 

Leave ego out of it. You’re not going to get any traction with it. 

13 hours ago, Lorentz Jr said:

No, of course not. I reserve politeness and courtesy for people who I believe are posting in good faith.

Also, having this double standard certainly doesn’t help your case.

Just my 5 cents. Where I live, locals have a neat trick which goes a long way in helping to keep conversations polite. They avoid using a singular 'you' as much as possible. This trick helps to talk about a message rather than a person, makes it difficult to insert insults, etc. 

Edited by Genady

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Perhaps you missed the part about protecting fragile egos being on the other side of the line. That’s not a civility issue.

There's nothing fragile about my ego, Mr. Moderator. I took three pages of abuse and logical fallacies without complaint. It's the other guy who eventually notified you.

Discussions here are not private, one-on-one conversations. Posting more detail than you personally might require can happen

It has nothing to do with "more detail", Mr. Moderator. It's less detail. It's redirection. It's an attack on the person's reputation by ignoring an intelligent comment and treating the person like a slow-witted beginner.

Also, having this double standard certainly doesn’t help your case.

It's not a double standard, Mr. Moderator. It's a consistent policy of behavior. If you believe someone is a Time Waster, you'll ban them. If they follow the forum rules, you won't ban them. That's not a double standard. It's a consistent policy of behavior. If someone trolls or abuses me, my reaction to them will not be friendly. If I believe they're communicating with me in good faith, my reaction will be polite and courteous.

Consistency doesn't mean guaranteeing equal outcomes. It means guaranteeing equal opportunity.

Anyway, I understand that nothing I say will have any effect here, so thanks for clearing up what your real policies are, Mr. Moderator. YOU are the boss. YOU are in charge.

Edited by Lorentz Jr

It's not a double standard, Mr. Moderator. It's a consistent policy of behavior.

It’s Dr. Moderator.

Now, by your reckoning, that’s a blow to my ego, and you are at fault for insulting me, and you should be punished.

If you believe someone is a Time Waster, you'll ban them. If they follow the forum rules, you won't ban them. That's not a double standard. It's a consistent policy of behavior.

Yes, it’s a consistent policy that we ban only because of breaking forum rules. There’s nothing about time wasting in the rules.

If someone trolls or abuses me, my reaction to them will not be friendly. If I believe they're communicating with me in good faith, my reaction will be polite and courteous.

And that will get you in trouble here. You’ve been made aware of this, don’t expect more leeway to be given that is afforded to new members.

Anyway, I understand that nothing I say will have any effect here, so thanks for clearing up what your real policies are, Mr. Moderator. YOU are the boss. YOU are in charge.

You don’t get to set the rules here, or decide which ones apply to you. So yes, I am in charge, along with other staff. And you know what? We’d prefer to not have to waste time with nonsense like this. We’d rather just post as regular members in topics that interest us, instead of dealing with folks that act like the rules don’t apply to them.

22 hours ago, studiot said:

I'm sorry to need to post this but it seems we are enjoined to give time wasters what is, in my opinion. excessive rope.

I put a deal of thought and effort into trying to offer help, at an appropriate level to one such who was a self confessd novice at science.

After several tap dancing replies to my moderately lengthy explanations, I was beginning to smell a rat when this person decided to no only question what was being said, but also expound his own gospel of the laws of physics something he had already said he knew little or nothing about, all the while carefully ignoring simply prepared explanations, just for him.

What other behaviour would this suggest, other than trolling?

I further note that since I and other regular members left the thread in question, he has opened a series of increasingly far fetched new threads.

Don't you think time wasters would find a more entertaining forum than a science forum ? 

I didn't lie to you , I only know bits of science and wish to learn more . At times I may add my own opinion but I certaintly am not a time waster . 

2 hours ago, JustJoe said:

Don't you think time wasters would find a more entertaining forum than a science forum ? 

The empirical evidence says no. We’ve had a number of people who have returned repeatedly after being banned. They are definitely time-wasters

I certaintly am not a time waster . 

Unfortunately the individual doesn’t decide that. It is others who decide if their time is being wasted.

I didn't lie to you , I only know bits of science and wish to learn more . At times I may add my own opinion but I certaintly am not a time waster . 

I did decide to punt another reply into your thread to see what happens.