Athletes Care About Themselves

sologuitar

It's funny how much people have forgotten that baseball is just a game and that players don't care about their fans. If suddenly you find yourself in a real tight situation in life, do you honestly believe that Aaron Judge will come to the rescue? I like baseball and respect talented people but that's about it. Aaron Judge was offered 300 million for 8 years and said no. He's going to be 31. Not enough cash, Aaron? So, leave the Yankees. I don't care. 

I guess it's a combination of a person's ego and/or how they value themselves at that time compared to their peers.

I remember working for a company owner who once was in conversation with one of his employees who at the time was making around £30K a year. The company owner was complaining that the £150k a year wages and the £500k dividends he received was not enough and was pittance compared to that which his business associates from other similar sized companies were making (in the millions per year).   

7 hours ago, sologuitar said:

It's funny how much people have forgotten that baseball is just a game and that players don't care about their fans.

So what is ethical about judging whole groups of people based on the actions of some of them? By claiming all "athletes" and "players" are greedy and uncaring, aren't you discriminating against a LOT of people?

7 hours ago, sologuitar said:

If suddenly you find yourself in a real tight situation in life, do you honestly believe that Aaron Judge will come to the rescue?

Why should I expect help from anybody who is unlikely to be anywhere near my sphere of influence? And if Aaron Judge and I DID somehow find ourselves in a real tight situation in life (our lifeboat is leaking, for instance), what makes you so absolutely certain Aaron wouldn't help me out? Just because you have a jaded outlook on sports professionals, does that justify such generalized prejudice?

13 hours ago, sologuitar said:

It's funny how much people have forgotten that baseball is just a game and that players don't care about their fans.

There’s plenty of evidence that players do care about their fans. Many of them run their own foundations to support some cause.

Judge, for example, started the All Rise foundation

https://www.aaronjudgeallrisefoundation.org

13 hours ago, sologuitar said:

If suddenly you find yourself in a real tight situation in life, do you honestly believe that Aaron Judge will come to the rescue? I like baseball and respect talented people but that's about it. Aaron Judge was offered 300 million for 8 years and said no. He's going to be 31. Not enough cash, Aaron? So, leave the Yankees. I don't care. 

Why is it the players are tagged as greedy for wanting millions, when the owners of these franchises are worth billions?