What would be the most important thing than humans should try to achieve in priority in your opinion ?

raphaelh42

Hello

In your opinion, what is the most important thing that the humans should work together to try to achieve ?

Is there a list/poll answering this somewhere ?

IMO I think about being able to create artificial brains to upload the minds of biological ones into them, to have more time/less weaknesses to try to understand how the universe works.

I also think about creating a website to suggest and vote for rules to apply to communities/countries/world

:)

Edited by raphaelh42

Stop being horrible to each other. 

Stop being horrible to the planet and atmosphere. 

Massive investment in desalination and effective clean water transportation. 

Massive investment in drought and heat hearty crops.

Mass migration strategies and programs.

Not necessarily in that order. 

12 minutes ago, raphaelh42 said:

In your opinion, what is the most important thing that the humans should work together to try to achieve ?

waste control

arms control

birth control

self control

IOW, maturity: GTFU

Edited by Peterkin

Ending corruption would be up near the top of my list, both the illegal "hard" corruption where appropriate laws exist but bribery, threats and inducements assures no prosecutions and the legal "soft" corruption where undue influence assures appropriate laws are weak or don't exist at all. I suspect that without corruption a lot of problems would be easier, with more resources (money) to use for them. I think we would see more actions taken around issues where vested interests have successfully evaded responsibility and accountability eg global warming would be dealt with more effectively.

Act as if it's extremely important that every human on the planet have a good education, one that sets a high value on literacy, critical thinking skills, scientific understanding, ecological awareness and social intelligence.  End predatory capitalism and third world debt.  And yes, corruption.  No nukes, ever.  Value having experiences over having material things.  Round up fascists and billionaires and make them into a nutritious protein drink.  

JK on that last one.

2 hours ago, raphaelh42 said:

Do you think that some animals and insects are horrible to each other or only some humans ?

Insects can't choose a different way to act; we can.

But also, some of the animals are horrible to one another because we've forced them into untenable situations and they're going crazy.

The main most important source of all problems that must be achieved is eliminating laziness. 

Brings all sorts of conflicts and problems.  Anywhere there is trouble can be traced back to laziness.  The relentless pursuit of comforts makes it impossible to get rid of laziness.

45 minutes ago, Externet said:

The main most important source of all problems that must be achieved is eliminating laziness. 

You're in luck, since I've heard some very convincing arguments lately that laziness, at least the way we typically think of it, never existed in the first place. It's simply a way to judge people who aren't doing something you think they should.

46 minutes ago, Externet said:

Brings all sorts of conflicts and problems.  Anywhere there is trouble can be traced back to laziness.

The idea that people would rather do nothing than anything else is patently untrue. What we've always thought of as laziness is often just smart people refusing to do something in which they see no value, or smart people doing their jobs with the least amount of effort. Some jobs have been so dumbed down that they're almost insulting. Personally, I've always bragged about working smart rather than working hard. Does that make me lazy? This is one  reason why I think the term is being misused. 

Right now, lots of business owners are screaming about lazy workers bringing conflict and problems, but I know a lot of those folks are just fed up with being underpaid. Productivity has been through the roof for the last 50 years, but wages have stagnated for workers and they're sick of working for a pittance while the rich sit on fat stacks of cash, waiting for the worker to falter so they can buy up their assets at twenty cents on the dollar.

56 minutes ago, Externet said:

The relentless pursuit of comforts makes it impossible to get rid of laziness.

Again I think you're off by a bit. It's not the comforts that makes us less smart or want to work less, because historically, saving up for the comforts made us work harder to earn them. I think it's the convenience. Convenience seems to promote an attitude where people should do dumb things in order to save time. Spend an extra 25% on items from a small store so you don't have to spend the time dealing with a bigger store. Or shop online thinking to save some time but end up researching 20 products and their comments sections for three hours. Convenience lets you drive on fresh asphalt AND ensures you'll have potholes next year.

I think "lazy" is a pejorative whip used by those who want us to work harder on their terms. Humans in general aren't lazy at all. We're ultra smart and curious, and we all prefer to do the things we want to do as opposed to the things we may HAVE to do. Nobody teaches us when we turn 18 that we have to parent ourselves from now on, and the real job of parents is to get us to do things we don't want to do. Practically everybody wants to do things as opposed to not doing anything, but they often don't want to do what everyone else thinks they should be doing. 

I remember being called lazy once because I arranged my work area to where everything was a bit closer to me. The boss hired me to make fittings and put them into boxes, not walk around unnecessarily, but when I tried to do a better job he called me lazy for not wanting to walk those extra steps. I pointed out that it saved me a LOT of time, but he still thought it was lazy. Said a young man shouldn't mind a few extra steps. I thought he was crazy.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:25 AM, raphaelh42 said:

Hello

Is there a list/poll answering this somewhere ?

IMO I think about being able to create artificial brains to upload the minds of biological ones into them, to have more time/less weaknesses to try to understand how the universe works.

I also think about creating a website to suggest and vote for rules to apply to communities/countries/world

:)

We should start by asking, "what's best for humanity?"; only then, can we design a human friendly future...

On 12/1/2022 at 10:02 PM, Phi for All said:

You're in luck, since I've heard some very convincing arguments lately that laziness, at least the way we typically think of it, never existed in the first place. It's simply a way to judge people who aren't doing something you think they should

I think this depends. My son complains that he is feeling unfit and putting on a few extra pounds of fat. I recommend that he does some extra exercise and cuts back a little on the excess junk food. He can't be bothered to do either, but continues to complain. 

So I think he should do something about it, he is too lazy to do so. One could say that he values the lack of effort to make the change more than the result of such a change, fair enough, but then quit complaining and make better use of your time. 

42 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

We should start by asking, "what's best for humanity?"; only then, can we design a human friendly future...

Problem is not all agree on whats best, or how to tackle the issues that they do agree on. 

Working together for a common goal is always the first step to success.  

12 minutes ago, Intoscience said:

I think this depends. My son complains that he is feeling unfit and putting on a few extra pounds of fat. I recommend that he does some extra exercise and cuts back a little on the excess junk food. He can't be bothered to do either, but continues to complain. 

So I think he should do something about it, he is too lazy to do so. One could say that he values the lack of effort to make the change more than the result of such a change, fair enough, but then quit complaining and make better use of your time. 

Problem is not all agree on whats best, or how to tackle the issues that they do agree on. 

Working together for a common goal is always the first step to success.  

Define your success...

32 minutes ago, Intoscience said:

It depends on how much of this simplistic outlook you're willing to inflict upon a loved one. You insist your son is lazy when there might be any number of other reasons why your recommendations aren't working. To me, the complaints sound like there's a lot more going on. If it was simply about feeling a bit overweight, the extra exercise and focus on diet is a simple solution.

I'm not going to advise you look beyond the "lazy" judgement, but I will say that kids today face a world unlike anything we had to grow up with. Their prospects aren't nearly as rosy, they face the judgement of millions of people on social media in addition to their parents and peers, and they see a lot of the lies about society that we failed to pick up on. The pressures they face can't always be dealt with by doing a few more situps, because they're more complicated and reach more deeply.

35 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Define your success...

Again, one person's success could be another person's failure.

I guess success would be achieving a goal that was set out initially. Whether that goal leads to improvement etc... well that could be subjective. 

Don't say "define improvement"! Turtles all the way down.  

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

It depends on how much of this simplistic outlook you're willing to inflict upon a loved one. You insist your son is lazy when there might be any number of other reasons why your recommendations aren't working. To me, the complaints sound like there's a lot more going on. If it was simply about feeling a bit overweight, the extra exercise and focus on diet is a simple solution.

I'm not going to advise you look beyond the "lazy" judgement, but I will say that kids today face a world unlike anything we had to grow up with. Their prospects aren't nearly as rosy, they face the judgement of millions of people on social media in addition to their parents and peers, and they see a lot of the lies about society that we failed to pick up on. The pressures they face can't always be dealt with by doing a few more situps, because they're more complicated and reach more deeply.

I don't disagree, but overcomplications are not going to solve the immediate issue. Self help is a place to start, delving deeper may take more effort and commitment and though shouldn't be ignored should be considered as a long term plan.  

It has been shown that a little exercise and a better diet can improve people mentally. I'm not dictating to my son, just offering my advice as a short term solution. I may need to invest in a deeper more thought out plan. He is complaining but not prepared to even consider trying to solve the problem. In my day this would be termed as lazy and I would get a clip around the ear and made to get on with it. 

People need to take responsibility for their own actions, if they are impaired in some way such as having a clinical mental illness, well fair enough. Encouragement to do self help is important though. One could even argue that if I didn't offer the advice to my son then I'm also being "lazy". That I don't value my son's wellbeing enough to invest the effort in trying to do something about it.