Getting started

rufus mosley

Hi. You have a lucky face.

Is this a good place in the forums to introduce myself? I am reading the Great Books of the Western World, which has a lot of important books in the history of math and science. But the strange thing is that the great books people that I've known are not really proficient in the grammar and therefore cannot talk to me much about the issues of sciences and maths. The other thing is that when I want to talk about these things from an historical perspective, the scientists and mathameticians kind of think it's a waste of time to talk about a 100 or 500 year old piece of writing. So, I'm wondering if I can communicate here? Lately I have been study some philosophy of mathematics, and when I posted in a math forum the topic "Does 1 + 1 = 2?" I was immediately banned for life!  Ha! The fact is (I think, anyway) that philosophers and mathemeticians have never been able to prove that 1 + 1 = 2. At least Frege couldn't. 

But I see that there is a lot of banning here, and I am not looking for trouble, but I must warn you that I am sort of a kook! Are we going to get along?

13 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Woah! That was a great reply, Sensei. I didn't expect that. I was just looking up stuff about triangular numbers and the sexigesimal system. I wonder if triangular numbers would make more sense using that system? What is your favorite triangular number? Don't say 666! Discovering that number while I was working out a table of the triangles makes me wonder whether there was not some extremely major historical conflict in the dark past between the cultures that developed the sexigesimal and eventually the decimal systems. I mean, why didn't the triangle make it as the first power? Why is the first power the square? It would seem like x3  could have been the trinagle rather than the cube. Then the square could have been xexcept these systems are incompatible. You can't make a cube out of triangular pyramids, except with right angled ones. But triangular numbers are equilateral.

39 minutes ago, rufus mosley said:

Hi. You have a lucky face.

Is this a good place in the forums to introduce myself? I am reading the Great Books of the Western World, which has a lot of important books in the history of math and science. But the strange thing is that the great books people that I've known are not really proficient in the grammar and therefore cannot talk to me much about the issues of sciences and maths. The other thing is that when I want to talk about these things from an historical perspective, the scientists and mathameticians kind of think it's a waste of time to talk about a 100 or 500 year old piece of writing. So, I'm wondering if I can communicate here? Lately I have been study some philosophy of mathematics, and when I posted in a math forum the topic "Does 1 + 1 = 2?" I was immediately banned for life!  Ha! The fact is (I think, anyway) that philosophers and mathemeticians have never been able to prove that 1 + 1 = 2. At least Frege couldn't. 

But I see that there is a lot of banning here, and I am not looking for trouble, but I must warn you that I am sort of a kook! Are we going to get along?

Hello rufus and welcome.

Good, well founded discussion is always welcome here.

I can assure you that whilst many scientists and mathematicians are too busy in their working lives to sppend much time on the history, this is not the case with all of them.

Some even make a career out of it and I can recommend some top notch material as a result.

For myself, as a retired applied mathematician I understand fully the pressures of 'getting an answer' in the working world.
It is called "shut up and calculate"

But since retirement I have been able to look around at the History and Philosophy of Science and Maths which has enabled me to fill in many gaps and achieve a more rounded view of it all.

edit.

Please note (did you read the rules here?) that for your first 24 hours you can only make 5 posts  - so use them wisely  -

This is a very effective anti spammer measure.

Philosophy or math is absolutely not a magic wand.  That's why we need to study a variety of subjects in schools or colleges.  Yeah, learn as if you were to live forever. :)

On 11/24/2022 at 11:44 AM, Sensei said:

For programmers 1+1=10.. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_number

So, we should ask "in which numeral system?"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numeral_system

Sensei I see that you are a genius. I think the issue is in proving that there is some relation between one 1 and another 1.

Edited by rufus mosley