Doubt CR2032 battery 3V

gamer87

I have a PCB with a CR2032 battery inserted into the PCB and this PCB is stored after many years in storage and the CR2032 charge goes to 0% will this battery go into chemical enhancement to generate an oxidative corrosive compound and will leak from the battery corroding the PCB?

On 11/18/2022 at 5:28 PM, gamer87 said:

I have a PCB with a CR2032 battery inserted into the PCB and this PCB is stored after many years in storage and the CR2032 charge goes to 0% will this battery go into chemical enhancement to generate an oxidative corrosive compound and will leak from the battery corroding the PCB?

I think the correct answer is "I do not know", it depends on many unknown factors.
Can we be sure there will be corrosion on the PCB after many years? -No.
Can we rule out the possibility of corrosion? -No

Why not remove the battery during storage if it is a concern?

In over 40 years of dealing with computer hardware that use CR2032 batteries to 'hold' set-up information in NVRAM, I have seen many go dead, but have never seen one leak.

That doesn't mean it absolutely cannot happen.

What is the chemical composition of the CR2032 battery?

Is it an oxidative corrosive chemical composition for metals and PCBs?

over the years this chemical composition of CR2032 changes and turns into a corrosive oxidative chemical compound that leaks and corrodes?

11 minutes ago, gamer87 said:
What is the chemical composition of the CR2032 battery? Is it an oxidative corrosive chemical composition for metals and PCBs? over the years this chemical composition of CR2032 changes and turns into a corrosive oxidative chemical compound that leaks and corrodes?

Lets try google: https://www.google.com/search?q=What+Is+a+CR2032+Battery+Made+Of%3F&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

CR2032 is an International Electrochemical (IEC) designation.
Specifically, the CR2032 battery is a Lithium-manganese dioxide battery (LiMn02). It is composed of a Mn02 cathode and a lithium anode.
The construction of a typical CR2032 battery features a stainless steel case to prevent any leakage of the non-corrosive electrolyte.

For further verification you could review data sheets of the specific brands you may be interested in.

at the moment I am not having corrosion I want to prevent myself and find out if I can keep CR2032 or not CR2032 in my PCBs if it will leak any corrosive compound that oxidizes the PCB Does the internal chemical composition of CR2032 become a corrosive compound over the years?

CR2032 is totally hermetic or has rubber or plastic opening seal

these photos are leak CR2032 or not?

LeakedBattery_2585a.jpg

6389998783_89cc14346a_z.jpg

20211110_155011-jpg.227418

d-10_battery_leak.png

Edited by gamer87

33 minutes ago, gamer87 said:

at the moment I am not having corrosion

Ok, that is good.

Note: I do not think you can get a 100% yes/no answer, "it depends". This is a case where you maybe want a risk based approach. You can ask yourself: Is a reasonably low risk of leakage acceptable? (see @MigL's comment in your other thread). What is the cost/effort to reduce the risk? If corrosion happens is @studiot's suggestion a viable solution for you? Is the risk introduced by CR2032 and potential corrosion the biggest concern or is it negligible in comparison to other risks?

36 minutes ago, gamer87 said:

Does the internal chemical composition of CR2032 become a corrosive compound over the years?

See previous answer

some people had told me that the chemical composition of CR2032 was corrosive because it had a salt and I think they were referring to manganese dioxide but the salt corrodes oxidizes another doubt is whether over the years this chemical composition of CR2032 turns into another compound that oxidizes and corrodes

Thank you for your reply to my post

the photos are the most useful informatuiom you have posted so far.

Coin cell bateries may be housed in stainless steel, but there are lots of things on you Nintendo that are not and all, including that battery are subject to some forms of corrosion.

Given the photograph which also shows failure of two decoupling capacitors, one showing serious leakage and lead corrosion I would question the history of your apparatus, rather than accusing your CR2032..

I can't identify the orange component next to the edge of the board by the battery, but that looks also to have suffered catastophically and may be the source of your issues.

2 hours ago, gamer87 said:

these photos are leak CR2032 or not?

Maybe you could read the comments in the forums you got the pictures from? For instance the thread in https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?158240-The-Legend-of-Zelda-NES-PCB-Royally-Jacked  or from https://www.watchtalkforums.info/threads/cr2032-batteries-leaking.166905/ may give details in each specific case.

20 minutes ago, studiot said:

shows failure of two decoupling capacitors, one showing serious leakage and lead corrosion I would question the history of your apparatus, rather than accusing your CR2032..

Good catch! And consistent with the story from 2011 in the first link above.

I had only seen the pictures and not the story behind them

what protections does CR2032 have to prevent leaks or does this only exist in the best brands of CR2032 When the 10 year warranty on these CR2032s runs out and the battery has 0% charge then will it leak?

Lithium-manganese dioxide is salt