Oxidative phosphorylation and hydrogen ions energy feasibility

galactosedestroyer

Hi all!

I'm back with another pressing question. Assuming you could store hydrogen ions in a stable state in a backpack and pump them directly into the inter-membrane space of a mitochondria could you theoretically convert ADP to ATP using just the oxidative phosphorylation stage of aerobic respiration. If so, how helpful would it be to have an external oxygen collector which pumps oxygen gas to the mitochondrial matrix to match the amount of hydrogen ions? Could you also have out tubes for carbon dioxide? How well would it work? Could it be realistically possible without my previous assumption. I'm pitching this idea to some investors next Friday so I'd like to know by then, I might even consider giving you a cut if all works out.

Thanks,

galactosedestroyer

Edited by galactosedestroyer
additional inquiry

32 minutes ago, galactosedestroyer said:

Hi all!

I'm back with another pressing question. Assuming you could store hydrogen ions in a stable state in a backpack and pump them directly into the inter-membrane space of a mitochondria could you theoretically convert ADP to ATP using just the oxidative phosphorylation stage of aerobic respiration. If so, how helpful would it be to have an external oxygen collector which pumps oxygen gas to the mitochondrial matrix to match the amount of hydrogen ions? Could you also have out tubes for carbon dioxide? How well would it work? Could it be realistically possible without my previous assumption. I'm pitching this idea to some investors next Friday so I'd like to know by then, I might even consider giving you a cut if all works out.

Thanks,

galactosedestroyer

How can you be "back" if this is your first post? 

I don't believe for a moment you are pitching this nonsense to investors next Friday, by the way.

Haha, sorry just search galactosedestroyer on the forums and you'll see 

The fun part is, you never really know whether or not I'm pitching the idea next Friday

mwhahahahaha

btw what if blood vessels were replaced with cybernetic tubes that could carry these particles faster-hmmm still trying to figure out how it could really work

I'm just imagining infinite running without ever running out of breath

The fun thing to calculate would be the amount of energy if you could control the electrochemical gradient in the intermembrane space

galactosedestroyer

3 hours ago, galactosedestroyer said:

You're right I realize now my original question is stupid. Pure ATP exists which you can directly ingest. What if this magical device could process organic inputs like glucose or cellulose and store it as ATP for later direct ingestion. 

We already got a non-magical mechanism for that . And this is why a lot of folks are overweight in a society where food is readily available.

To my knowledge, ATP synthesis is fully dependent on the H+ gradient across the inner mirochondrial membrane with [H+] in the inner membrane space > [H+] in the matrix. 

Oxygen is important only as the final electron acceptor at complex IV, the end product of this last step being H2O.

It's theoretically possible to make ATP if you could somehow produce & maintain the H+ concentration difference across the inner mitochondrial membrane. 

1 hour ago, Agent Smith said:

To my knowledge, ATP synthesis is fully dependent on the H+ gradient across the inner mirochondrial membrane with [H+] in the inner membrane space > [H+] in the matrix. 

Only when we talk about ATP generation via the ATP synthase. There are other ATP generating pathways, such as glycolysis.