Tidal power, the steady source we seek...or Grinding Nemo?

TheVat

ABOARD THE PLAT-I 6.40 GENERATING PLATFORM, Nova Scotia — The Bay of Fundy, off the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, has long tantalized and frustrated engineers hoping to harness its record-setting 50-foot high tide to generate electricity.

After more than a century of attempts, there has only been one small power-generating station, since closed, and countless broken dreams, abandoned plans and bankruptcies.

Even so, a new coalition of entrepreneurs and scientists in Nova Scotia are trying again. One participant, a company called Sustainable Marine, has devised a new technology and successfully operated it for more than seven months, longer than any other similar system, producing enough electricity for about 250 homes.

Sustainable Marine’s innovation is that rather than placing stationary turbines onto the seabed as has been tried in the past, it floats movable ones on the surface, lifting them when a dangerous object approaches and for maintenance.

If the platform continues to prove reliable, is economically viable and doesn’t harm marine life, it will have harnessed not just a new source of renewable energy, but also one of the most reliable ones in the world. Because unlike wind or sunshine, tides are unceasing and completely predictable.

(...)

Scientists collaborating with a government-financed research center are studying the impact of the technologies on marine life. A fishing group unsuccessfully went to court six years ago to block the deployment of a turbine at the center’s test site, and ran billboards with the catchphrase “Grinding Nemo.

Regulators have required Sustainable Marine to outfit its platform with a variety of underwater sensors and cameras to track sea life and to automatically lift the turbines when whales or other large creatures approach.

If Sustainable Marine’s underwater sensors and cameras confirm assertions by the tidal power generation industry that fish, whales and other sea creatures will safely swim around their turbine blades and the prototype proves reliable, it may become part of a large-scale development.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/tidal-power-clean-energy-bay-fundy.html

4 hours ago, TheVat said:

ABOARD THE PLAT-I 6.40 GENERATING PLATFORM, Nova Scotia — The Bay of Fundy, off the Canadian provinces of Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, has long tantalized and frustrated engineers hoping to harness its record-setting 50-foot high tide to generate electricity.

After more than a century of attempts, there has only been one small power-generating station, since closed, and countless broken dreams, abandoned plans and bankruptcies.

So what is the question ?

I am sorry that Fundy may not be the best place for a tidal station and I am certain that the author of that NYT article doesn't understand the engineering of tidal power.

The tidal generator over here in Strangford Loch has been so successful that they want to install another one.

And a new more powerful one has just been finished off Shetland.

There are three parameters that determine the output of any hydro turbine.

1) The mass of water throughput.

2) The pressure head.

3) The water flow velocity.

A successful design will balance all three of these for the best performance according to requirements.

The requirements will include.

1) Peak output.

2) Continuity of output throughout day.

3) Environmental requirements such as maintenance of navigation, protection from storms, protection of marine life.

17 hours ago, studiot said:

So what is the question ?

As the OP title suggests, just asking if the Grinding Nemo group has a legitimate objection or do engineers have reasonable confidence that the marine life can be kept away from the screws.  It looks like the mobile platform approach will be better than the stationary installations, but I just wondered if anyone had more insight on this.

Edited by TheVat
wording

Environmental concerns should always be at the forefront, of course, but I don't see any reason why tidal generators can't be made safe. The avoidance method is probably more expensive, and obviously more complicated, than simply building a fence to keep sea-creatures out of harm's way. It depends on how the turbines are located with respect to the shore, and whether fishing is an issue, etc. 

Whatever safeguards are implemented, they will add to the initial cost and maintenance costs. That makes private investors wary, especially as the returns have not been that great, so far. New technology - growing pains. 

A good, accessible overview, designed for students.

The one in the Netherlands seems to be working satisfactorily. It's the biggest, I think, to date.

Thanks, Pete.  The National Geographic primer is pretty helpful.  It is somewhat reassuring that the turbines turn slowly enough that most fish can get by without being turned to sushi.  I will read further.

With a couple of decades in my head on a simple turbines system that does not much to the environment; found that little people like me has no opportunity to propose/expose to the big shots how to generate energy at Gibraltar, Japan, that Canada place...

Tidal currents are a proper response to clean energy.

1 hour ago, Externet said:

Tidal currents are a proper response to clean energy.

Yes, where it doesn't obstruct navigation, whale migration, salmon spawning, etc., yes. Once the initial cost and deployment problems are overcome, it's certainly one good source of energy for the coastal cities and towns.

The Bay of Fundy could serve one good-sized city, maybe two, and a dozen small towns. The Atlantic is potentially and even (easier, anyway) better source.

It doesn't travel well to inland settlements. Canada has a large land-mass between oceans, great big open prairies, and a good deal of wind and hydro energy - that I don't think is properly distributed.