Relativity of Time does not Make Sense.

Willem F Esterhuyse

I'm not sure if I do understand relativity with spacetime or not but: at fundamental level I think things (universe) happen in real time but when observed at different locations apart - information received may differ because of various factors (e.g. light travel) with varying levels of gravity, and maybe other factors - at different locations.

For example: Me here on Earth and an alien (if does exist) named "Alice" in another galaxy elsewhere are active - we are operating within the present or now moment. But if we observe each other while remain at our place or location while both of us are in motion, then light speed travel, gravity, etc - may be different - yielding different results (I see her planet in a distant past while i see mine present and she see my planet in distant past while she see her planet present).

Maybe other posters here could help clarify and point out. *shrugs*

34 minutes ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

If an Alien in a far distant galaxy does not move relative to Bob on Earth, he sees Bob in his present. But when the alien gets on his bike and cycles away from Bob, he sees not Bob but the past of Earth as it was hundreds of years ago. This does not make sense since the present doesn't change into the past.

This isn’t what relativity says. 

If this alien is 100 LY away, they see Bob as he was 100 years ago, because it takes 100 years for the light to get to the alien.

Relative motion will mean they will disagree on how much time has elapsed, but under no circumstances does relativity say that the past can be changed. 

38 minutes ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

If an Alien in a far distant galaxy does not move relative to Bob on Earth, he sees Bob in his present.

The alien and Bob don't share the same present moment.  It takes time for information to travel even at the speed of light. 

Relativity of Time does not Make Sense.

“Making sense” isn’t a valid scientific argument, because it is relative to some specific observer’s subjective state of knowledge and understanding, both of which are objects present in - and generated by - the human mind, and thus do not necessarily correspond to objective reality. The human mind is often a pretty bad judge of such things. There are plenty of concepts that don’t “make sense” to many (or even most) people, yet they are still demonstrably in agreement with experiment and observation. Also, there are many things in today’s world that wouldn’t have made sense at all to the average person in - say - the year 1200, such as heavier-than-air flying machines, electricity, microbes, or TV, to name just a few. You would have been laughed out the door (or burned at the stake) had you tried to explain any of those things to people back then. So “making sense” is also a product of environment, time, and culture, never even to mention a specific sensory apparatus, the structure of the brain etc etc - and thus entirely useless as a measure of what kinds of belief about the world are justified, and which ones are not.

As it stands, relativity of time (ie time dilation and relativity of simultaneity) is in agreement with experiment and observation to such an overwhelmingly high degree that one might as well consider it as “for granted” by now. As it happens, crucial aspects of the hardware belonging to the computer you are using to read this post just now - such as the chemical properties of platinum - are due to relativistic effects that rely on relativity of time being true. Another everyday example is the lead-acid battery in your car; without relativity, the voltage between that battery’s terminals would only be in the region of ~2V, rather than your 12V. This is because some of the electrons in heavier elements move at relativistic speeds, so such effects become important when it comes to the chemical properties of atoms. Thus, relativity isn’t just an abstract idea that has no bearing in our everyday world; it has measurable and observable consequences even in our human domain of experience.

4 minutes ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

The Alien could have telepathic contact wit Bob. Telepathic contact is instantaneous for any distance. It should not follow that the Alien loses telepathic contact just because he/she climbed on his/her bike and pedaled away.

Why do you think I wear a tin foil hat; hint, it's not a bike...

40 minutes ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

The Alien could have telepathic contact wit Bob. Telepathic contact is instantaneous for any distance. It should not follow that the Alien loses telepathic contact just because he/she climbed on his/her bike and pedaled away.

Instantaneous telepathic contact does not, and cannot, exist according to established theories of relativity. Relativity of time makes sense, instantaneous telepathic contact does not*.

5 hours ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

If an Alien in a far distant galaxy does not move relative to Bob on Earth, he sees Bob in his present. But when the alien gets on his bike and cycles away from Bob, he sees not Bob but the past of Earth as it was hundreds of years ago. This does not make sense since the present doesn't change into the past.

What you describe is not relativity, at least not a prediction of any established scientific theory about relativity ( for instance Special Relativity). 

*) In science that is. In science fiction my opinion may be different.

Edited by Ghideon
Added missing section referencing opening post

56 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

What you describe is not relativity, at least not a prediction of any established scientific theory about relativity ( for instance Special Relativity).

I got it from a video on the internet as a fact, see: 

at 19:00 minutes into the video.

7 minutes ago, iNow said:

and you’re no longer able to take your meds?

Meds just block the bad voices, not good ones. I know she's not in my head I have traced her.

54 minutes ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

You would say that, until you experienced telepathic contact yourself. Its wonderful.

Why did you tell me in writing instead of showing me?

30 minutes ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

I got it from a video on the internet as a fact, see: 

30 minutes ago, Willem F Esterhuyse said:

at 19:00 minutes into the video.

Ok. I don't think I need telepathic skills to see that you misunderstood the video. 

Edited by Ghideon