US Mid-Terms 2022

StringJunky

Frankly, it looks like a bunch of folks trafficking in sex with goats. The economy has taken center stage, and like most elections, folks are forgetting that Democrats grow the GDP about 1.6 times faster than Republicans, because the Republicans are better at claiming they do better with the economy.

We continue to put politics into everything, 24/7/365. There's never a break from it. It's become the central hub for our Angertainment industry, which is also bleeding us dry and continuing to isolate people into ineffective little knots of resentment and pain. When the midterms are over, the next day the 2024 election starts. And as it consumes us, the process that governs us becomes more and more expensive to participate in.

Crime is up, but we've always spent more to punish people than we spend to help them avoid being criminals, so that's probably just American business at work. It's also hard to stomach the supposed conservative right embracing radical elements that are probably responsible for rising crime, but it sure makes it easy to understand how it happened in Germany.

Inflation is probably the biggest concern for voters, but I don't think they've listened to what economists have advised for quite a while. Many haven't figured out that putting businesspeople in political roles doesn't help the economy as much as it helps those businesspeople.

Election integrity perception, thanks to TFG, is abysmal. Actually, I'll loop many Republicans into that crime as well. They continue to claim concern over voter fraud, and whine about the Constitution while actively trying to destroy the democracy it describes. 

2 hours ago, StringJunky said:

How's it looking from the US side of the Atlantic?

Gerrymandered.

A freshly kilned red brick with a crack down it’s center could win against a clearly more competent challenger so long as they have the correct letter beside their name as ballots get cast (R-brick v D-other)

24 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Inflation is probably the biggest concern for voters, but I don't think they've listened to what economists have advised for quite a while.

They also haven’t listened to the candidates attacking the other side about it, for if they had they’d recognize that candidate has never once explained what they’d do instead to address that inflation were power transferred to them. 

Edited by iNow

10 hours ago, iNow said:

They also haven’t listened to the candidates attacking the other side about it, for if they had they’d recognize that candidate has never once explained what they’d do instead to address that inflation were power transferred to them. 

It's clear most US voters haven't even glanced at how other countries actually require their leaders to have a mapped out plan of how they will accomplish what they promise. Our politicians are mostly populists, and populists tend to represent emotions rather than ideas, so we're supposed to vote for the person rather than the plan, then trust that person to plan well. It's got to be one of the dumbest systems, shaped and crafted with billions of dollars to do exactly what it does, whatever that is.

11 hours ago, iNow said:

A freshly kilned red brick with a crack down it’s center could win against a clearly more competent challenger so long as they have the correct letter beside their name as ballots get cast (R-brick v D-other)

You are so right. The Republicans who live in southern Colorado and love their guns, or don't want the government to restrict what they can do on their land, have to vote for Lauren Boebert to represent those interests, so they're also voting for Christian nationalism, the destruction of democratic values, climate denial, avoiding equality issues, the stolen 2020 election, and whatever bizarre, ignorant, extremist, QAnon bullshit she thinks up. It's actually insulting to bricks to put her in the same league.

13 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Frankly, it looks like a bunch of folks trafficking in sex with goats. 

Given the sordid business some of the more fringe candidates seem to get up to, that comment verges on literal truth.  

13 hours ago, Phi for All said:

Inflation is probably the biggest concern for voters, but I don't think they've listened to what economists have advised for quite a while. Many haven't figured out that putting businesspeople in political roles doesn't help the economy as much as it helps those businesspeople

US voters rarely listen to economists, who in this election cycle would be pointing out that current inflation has global causes and in no way reflects policy missteps on Joe's part.  Media consumers in the RW bubble are hermetically sealed away from such facts.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

Our politicians are mostly populists, and populists tend to represent emotions rather than ideas, so we're supposed to vote for the person rather than the plan, then trust that person to plan well. It's got to be one of the dumbest systems, shaped and crafted with billions of dollars to do exactly what it does, whatever that is.

The form of populism that attaches zero importance to actual qualifications for public office.  The dumbness of this came into blinding clarity in 2008, with Sarah Palin (and poor John McCain having to hold his nose and take her aboard his presidential ticket).  

28 minutes ago, TheVat said:

The form of populism that attaches zero importance to actual qualifications for public office.  The dumbness of this came into blinding clarity in 2008, with Sarah Palin (and poor John McCain having to hold his nose and take her aboard his presidential ticket).  

I used to place a great deal of importance on listening to candidates debate each other, but even our debates have become pointless. Many of these people running for office are unqualified to represent their constituency, yet they've learned how to sound-bite their way through a debate so they sound smart and effective. The average debate listener today doesn't have the patience or understanding for nuts and bolts descriptions of a candidate's plan of action, so debates get judged by how many times your candidate "owns" the other with short, punchy points that don't really mean anything.

Voters in the US still think they're they ones who deserve representation in government, while the politicians know that the average voter can't afford it. The politicians ignore most of the People and focus on representing corporation People and billionaire People. 

3 hours ago, Phi for All said:

It's clear most US voters haven't even glanced at how other countries actually require their leaders to have a mapped out plan of how they will accomplish what they promise.

It's also clear most US voters haven't noticed that inflation is a global problem which is far worse in many other countries and the US is doing comparably quite well. 

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

US voters rarely listen to economists, who in this election cycle would be pointing out that current inflation has global causes and in no way reflects policy missteps on Joe's part.  Media consumers in the RW bubble are hermetically sealed away from such facts.

I obviously should've kept reading before responding. Quite right. 

27 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

they've learned how to sound-bite their way through a debate so they sound smart and effective. The average debate listener today doesn't have the patience or understanding for nuts and bolts descriptions of a candidate's plan of action, so debates get judged by how many times your candidate "owns" the other with short, punchy points that don't really mean anything.

Most listeners aren't watching the debates at all, but instead the TickToks and social media posts with those short snippy out of context clips. The debate is just another packaged production to generate engagement and shares online. 

I promise you, @StringJunky, that every thread you start on US politics will soon be depressing as hell.  

Though I think there's still some mirth to be had at the political level of municipal dogcatcher.  We know the dogcatcher won't achieve what they are promising, and it's often hilarious watching them get outsmarted by a dog.  

53 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Try UK politics atm. In fact, look at the state of a lot of international governments. I'm not sure I've seen so much political/existential turmoil in my life

That’s bc as crazy as it all feels and looks, humans are on average less engaged in war and related horribleness than ever before throughout history … we’re just riding the pendulum to the other side of the swing right now at this particular moment. 

Edited by iNow

8 hours ago, StringJunky said:

If De Santis, Pence and others run on the Republican presidential ticket, will that dilute Trump's vote tally if he runs?

Slightly, but not enough to matter IMO. And if Trump runs, DeSantis likely won’t. The Venn diagrams of their supporters is nearly 100% overlapping 

6 minutes ago, iNow said:

Slightly, but not enough to matter IMO. And if Trump runs, DeSantis likely won’t. The Venn diagrams of their supporters is nearly 100% overlapping 

Ah well, I'm trying! Trump's company is now under compulsory anti-fraud monitoring... there's hope.

Edited by StringJunky

2 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Ah well, I'm trying!

In many ways, DeSantis can be far worse. He's got all the negative attributes of Donald Trump PLUS clear competence and abilities to execute on them (whereas Trump and crew were often a modern day version of the Keystone Cops shooting their own toes with their own proverbial guns)

Just now, iNow said:

In many ways, DeSantis can be far worse. He's got all the negative attributes of Donald Trump PLUS clear competence and abilities to execute on them (whereas Trump and crew were often a modern day version of the Keystone Cops shooting their own toes with their own proverbial guns)

Yes, he appears to be a potentially bigger problem. The biggest problem Trump has caused, I think, is that his tenure has given confidence to people that wouldn't otherwise have run.

Trump was here in Iowa last night all but confirming he’s absolutely running:

” "Get ready," he told a crowd in Sioux City, teasing a prospective 2024 presidential run, adding that he will "very, very, very probably do it again."

The former president came to Iowa to boost Republicans like Gov. Kim Reynolds and U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley, and to keep the country in suspense as he repeatedly teases his entry into the presidential race.

He was joined onstage by U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, who urged Republicans to be "the new Republican Party" led by Trump. “

5 hours ago, iNow said:

Trump was here in Iowa last night all but confirming he’s absolutely running:

” "Get ready," he told a crowd in Sioux City, teasing a prospective 2024 presidential run, adding that he will "very, very, very probably do it again."

The former president came to Iowa to boost Republicans like Gov. Kim Reynolds and U.S. Sen. Chuck Grassley, and to keep the country in suspense as he repeatedly teases his entry into the presidential race.

He was joined onstage by U.S. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, who urged Republicans to be "the new Republican Party" led by Trump. “

Have you noticed Trump often/always gives himself some escape space in case what he  says comes back on him? He rarely commits.

April 3  "Hydroxychloroquine, I don't know," Trump said. "It's looking like it's having some good results. I hope. That would be a phenomenal thing."

Trump said, “I’m not acting as a doctor, but there are some good signs,” and declared “We don’t have time to take a couple years and test it out, we have people dying today as we speak,” asserting “it doesn’t kill people

Despite NIH Director Dr. Anthony Fauci saying “the answer is no” when asked if the drug is an effective coronavirus treatment, Trump said “we ought to give it a try,” adding, “I feel good about it. That’s all it is, just a feeling, you know.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/05/22/all-the-times-trump-promoted-hydroxychloroquine/

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Have you noticed Trump often/always gives himself some escape space in case what he  says comes back on him? He rarely commits.

I'm fairly certain he's waiting to see if the midterms get some of his SecState candidates elected, and how the non-MAGA Republicans vote. He knows he needs some of these battleground states to ignore the votes of the People and seize the electors to hand him those states (like Nevada). I think he also wants to know how much of a hold he still has on them. I don't think he'll run unless he's fairly certain of winning. From all accounts, a big part of the stolen election scam is him refusing to be cast as a loser.

And there's the money. I've heard a candidate for office can keep extra funds for their next campaign, so I'm sure TFG has a steady income for life from donations even if he never actually holds office again, but continually hints at it and holds rallies and forms leadership PACs and supports other candidates. This may be why he really fears the 1/6 Committee's findings, because I'll bet they can take that campaign money away from him if he's no longer eligible to hold office.

2 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I'm fairly certain he's waiting to see if the midterms get some of his SecState candidates elected, and how the non-MAGA Republicans vote. He knows he needs some of these battleground states to ignore the votes of the People and seize the electors to hand him those states (like Nevada). I think he also wants to know how much of a hold he still has on them. I don't think he'll run unless he's fairly certain of winning. From all accounts, a big part of the stolen election scam is him refusing to be cast as a loser.

And there's the money. I've heard a candidate for office can keep extra funds for their next campaign, so I'm sure TFG has a steady income for life from donations even if he never actually holds office again, but continually hints at it and holds rallies and forms leadership PACs and supports other candidates. This may be why he really fears the 1/6 Committee's findings, because I'll bet they can take that campaign money away from him if he's no longer eligible to hold office.

It's his biggest fear. When he visited a famous military cemetry as President, might have been Arlington, he regarded the fallen as 'losers'.

Edited by StringJunky

On 11/4/2022 at 5:58 PM, iNow said:

Yes, indeed I have. 

Me too.

It’s unclear to me whether Trump actually believes anything he is saying about the Pelosi attack. As is usual with him, he threw just enough qualifiers and vague language in to give himself plausible deniability. (“You and I are better off not talking about it.”)

But what I know he is doing is feeding his base. He knows they want to believe the absolute worst about Paul and Nancy Pelosi and so he is giving them what they want. That in so doing he is engaging in the opposite of leadership doesn’t seem to bother Trump one bit.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/01/politics/donald-trump-paul-pelosi-reaction/index.html

This is Trump keeping the base motivated to vote in the midterms.

Also interesting that the Pelosi attack is also being framed as part of the Dangerous Immigrant narrative, which is usually reserved for brown people crossing the southern border, not white Canadian Trump/QAnon fans.  Perhaps we need a wall along the 49th parallel?

Canadians are a menace.  I mean, what does it tell you that they named their dolar coin a loonie?  

Meanwhile, as American politicians seek new ways to break wind, the GOP has a strategy for nullifying more Democrat votes...

In Pennsylvania, the state Supreme Court has agreed with the Republican National Committee that election officials should not count ballots on which the voter neglected to put a date on the outer envelope — even in cases when the ballots arrive before Election Day. Thousands of ballots have been set aside as a result, enough to swing a close race.

In Michigan, Kristina Karamo, the Republican nominee for secretary of state, sued the top election official in Detroit last month, seeking to toss absentee ballots not cast in person with an ID, even though that runs contrary to state requirements. When asked in a recent court hearing, Karamo’s lawyer declined to say why the suit targets Detroit, a heavily Democratic, majority-Black city, and not the entire state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2022/11/07/gop-sues-reject-mail-ballots/

Over the past two years, Republicans have waged a sustained campaign against alleged voter fraud. Experts say the litigation — which could significantly affect Tuesday’s vote — represents a parallel strategy of suing to disqualify mail ballots based on technicalities. While the rejections may have some basis in state law, experts say they appear to go against a principle, enshrined in federal law, of not disenfranchising voters for minor errors.

The suits coincide with a systematic attempt by Republicans — led by former president Donald Trump — to persuade GOP voters to cast their ballots only on Election Day. Critics argue that the overall purpose is to separate Republicans and Democrats by method of voting and then to use lawsuits to void mail ballots that are disproportionately Democratic.

You know your party's policies suck when you have to cheat to get elected.

Watching returns tomorrow...between slightly parted fingers over my face.

16 minutes ago, TheVat said:

You know your party's policies suck when you have to cheat to get elected.

And in a two party system where the media entertains rather than informs, both parties are using this bumper sticker. 

For perspective here, in Colorado we have a Senate race where the incumbent Democrat is leading the Republican challenger in most polls by 7-10 points at least. FOX News ran a piece over the weekend claiming their pollsters show the race as a complete toss-up. Each party hires private firms aligned with them to run "independent" polling, and then gets to report that to the media. And ultimately, it's campaign donations from the People that help misinform the People on this grand scale. A stupid system for an uneducated, uninformed, unprepared populace.