CHEMISTRY HELP PLEASE!!- indium

Anonymous32

5 minutes ago, Anonymous32 said:

the formation of indium nitrate using indium metal and concentrated nitric acid 

As you can't be bothered to explain what the hell you are trying to do, or even to converse in complete sentences, I've now had enough of you.   

I am very sorry that I did not give a full explanation. 

1(a) (i) Oxidation state of indium: 

3+ as indium is in group 3

ii)Equation for indium metal and dilute nitric acid: 

In(s) + 3HNO3 (aq) In(NO3)3 (aq) + 3/2H2 (g)

(iii) Oxidised species: Reduced species:

Oxidised: Indium

Reduced: Hydrogen

(iv) Equation for indium metal and conc. nitric acid:

In(s) + 4HNO3 (aq) In(NO3)3 (aq) + NO + 2H2O(l)

(v) Equation for formation of indium hydroxide:

(vi) Equation for formation of indium oxide:

(vii) Maximum mass of indium oxide:

I have stated the whole question along with the answers for each part. From part v onwards, I am stuck. I believe this is a step-by-step process where we have to use the products from the previous reaction to solve the next part. However, I am confused how they expect us to write an equation using one compound. This question is from the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge. I am very sorry that I did not fully explain this question, but I hope this helps and any help would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

I think you have still neglected to include context as some of those questions are not answerable as-is. 

Briefly:
As written, your answer to 1 (a) i doesn’t make sense, or it is just incorrect. It doesn’t specify indium nitrate or metal, but I would read that to mean elemental indium. I assume there is more context here. Also, it is more correct to say it is in group 13 (group 3 is still accepted), but that does not mean the oxidation state is going to be 3+. In+ is also possible, for example. 

I would also add that saying hydrogen is reduced is not the best wording. Better to specify H+.

• 4 months later...