Help, slow computer!

Moontanman

My computer has slowed down to the point of almost being unusable, it started about a week ago and has only gotten worse. When I am on my desktop it will almost not let me open google. It takes several minutes just to get to google and the internet. I have run McAfee virus scan and Malwarebytes not to mention restarted my tower several times to no avail. The scans say my computer is fine. Does anyone have any idea about the cause and cure of this problem?  

ctrl-alt-del and you can observe CPU usage, memory usage, network usage.

What do you get for each one?

Start > Run.. and enter "Performance Monitor" and you have more detailed app for monitoring and/or recording logs about it.

You did not give any details about your machine. OS version, CPU model (exact!), physical memory, drive is HDD, SSD or NVMe?

Edited by Sensei

4 minutes ago, Sensei said:

ctrl-alt-del and you can observe CPU usage, memory usage, network usage.

What do you get for each one?

Takes forever to just get the task manager to come up.  CPU 18% more or less, it varies somewhat. Memory 49%, Network 0%, Disk 1%, GPU 1 to 3%, Network 0%

Start > Run.. and enter "Performance Monitor" and you have more detailed app for monitoring and/or recording logs about it.

You did not give any details about your machine. OS version, CPU model (exact!), physical memory, drive is HDD, SSD or NVMe?

AMD Quad-core A6-6310, 6GB DDR3 SYSTEM MEMORY, AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, HP, windows 10

36 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

AMD Quad-core A6-6310, 6GB DDR3 SYSTEM MEMORY, AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, HP, windows 10

Pretty ancient CPU.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-6310+APU&id=2290

I'd suggest buy new SSD 120 GB (it is 15 USD or so) and plug it instead of current drive, and install OS once again on it.

36 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

CPU 18% more or less, it varies somewhat.

If it is 25% and it has four cores, then one core in entirely stuck.

In Task Manager identify which process is using CPU the most (sort by CPU usage - click on listview column).

Edited by Sensei

9 minutes ago, Sensei said:

Pretty ancient CPU.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-6310+APU&id=2290

I'd suggest buy new SSD 120 GB (it is 15 USD or so) and plug it instead of current drive, and install OS once again on it.

If it is 25% and it has four cores, then one core in entirely stuck.

In Task Manager identify which process is using CPU the most (sort by CPU usage - click on listview column).

It looks like the task manager is using the most of the CPU, the CPU varies between 20% and 0% tending toward the low end most of the time. This problem just started a few days ago, before that it was running like a swiss watch. 

Edited by Moontanman

39 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

It looks like the task manager is using the most of the CPU, the CPU varies between 20% and 0% tending toward the low end most of the time. This problem just started a few days ago, before that it was running like a swiss watch. 

Try running OS in safe mode.

https://www.google.com/search?q=safe+mode+windows+10

Does it help?

Try restore system from restore point:

https://www.google.com/search?q=system+restore+windows+10

38 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

This problem just started a few days ago, before that it was running like a swiss watch. 

..it might be buggy gfx driver.. try downgrading..

Edited by Sensei

Hi.

Try deleting items in the recycle bin that qualify.

Delete temporary files.

Shut off WiFi and plug the ethernet to evaluate difference.

Check all the installed RAM memory reports complete.

Check available unused space in the hard drive.

8 hours ago, Sensei said:

Thank you Sensei for your help. I am not sure what to do next but as you probably know my computer skills are limited to using it not fixing it. If I can't figure it out I'll have to switch to a laptop my wife left, Again I do thank you for your help. 

2 hours ago, Externet said:

Hi.

Try deleting items in the recycle bin that qualify.

Did it

Delete temporary files.

Did it as well. 

Shut off WiFi and plug the ethernet to evaluate difference.

I'm not sure what you mean here. 

Check all the installed RAM memory reports complete.

Not sure what you mean. 

Check available unused space in the hard drive.

Did that as well. 

Simply buy 120 GB SSD drive in any neighbor computer shop for $15 and install fresh OS.. If it is not hardware issue it will help straight away..

Then you will be able to copy precious files from old drive.

e.g.

13.59 usd on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/b/120GB-Solid-State-Drives/175669/bn_56798086

Everybody should have emergency drive in emergency situations to be able to install fresh OS on it, and boot. And bootable pendrive with Live Linux e.g. Kali Live: https://www.kali.org/get-kali/

Any pendrive 4 GB+ will be good. Only 4GB on it will be used for data.

But first, boot in safe mode, and check if it works good or not!

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+safe+mode+windows+10

Edited by Sensei

3 hours ago, Sensei said:

You should do it in safe mode..

https://www.google.com/search?q=restore+in+safe+mode

Especially if safe mode is problem free..

Believe it or not when i logged on this morning it allowed me to go online with no problems, it was still slower than it should have been by quite a bit but it did work. My computer skills are limited so i don't really understand what you are talking about but I'll try your idea once I review the links you suggested. It's been decades since i did anything in safe mode. Thank you again for helping me, I am not sure what it was I did to help the situation, I tried several things, I am not even sure it was anything I did. 

oh oh oh, I did go to task manager and shut down what appeared to be several versions of chrome running at the same time. 

People who own laptops often simply push the flip cover down, which hibernates the system, instead of shutting it down. This causes problems in some situations. I know that Windows Media Center (the TV Tuner application) in Windows 7 is buggy and consumes the entire disk until the system is properly shut down and restarted (which obviously kills services). I found a workaround - shut down only the service in the Administration Panel. The files are locked permanently by the service - no cleaning, deleting, etc. can remove them while the service is running. In Win10 WMC was removed, but some other service or app can have similar issues.

Edited by Sensei

22 hours ago, Sensei said:

People who own laptops often simply push the flip cover down, which hibernates the system, instead of shutting it down. This causes problems in some situations. I know that Windows Media Center (the TV Tuner application) in Windows 7 is buggy and consumes the entire disk until the system is properly shut down and restarted (which obviously kills services). I found a workaround - shut down only the service in the Administration Panel. The files are locked permanently by the service - no cleaning, deleting, etc. can remove them while the service is running. In Win10 WMC was removed, but some other service or app can have similar issues.

Another thing you should do from time to time is do a "Restart" rather than a "Shut down".   I know it sounds counterintuitive, but Restart does a fresh reboot, While Shut down preserves a number of settings to speed things up upon turning the computer back on.  If one of those processes is what is causing the problem, it will be carried over to when you turn the computer back on.

23 hours ago, Sensei said:

Mine is a tower not a lap top but i will keep that in mind. 

2 minutes ago, Janus said:

Another thing you should do from time to time is do a "Restart" rather than a "Shut down".   I know it sounds counterintuitive, but Restart does a fresh reboot, While Shut down preserves a number of settings to speed things up upon turning the computer back on.  If one of those processes is what is causing the problem, it will be carried over to when you turn the computer back on.

I restart at least once a week.