Laboratory insect husbandary/welfare

Hi guys, not entirely sure if this is the correct subforum but here goes -

I'm writing a uni essay on whether insects should be afforded more welfare in research, and just struggling to find any sources on current conditions or practices, especially any that aren't politically motivated (not saying i'm for or against that, just not what i'm after). Can find plenty on edible insect welfare but not much, if anything, on insects in scientific research. If anyone knows any sources or where to look that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

26 minutes ago, Keysi said:

I'm writing a uni essay on whether insects should be afforded more welfare in research, and just struggling to find any sources on current conditions or practices, especially any that aren't politically motivated (not saying i'm for or against that, just not what i'm after). Can find plenty on edible insect welfare but not much, if anything, on insects in scientific research. If anyone knows any sources or where to look that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do you actually need a source?

Just imagine they were held in the most inhumane condition, and present your argument as to why and how they should be treated better.

Edited by dimreepr

Maybe we should concentrate efforts on treating fellow humans and sentient animals better.  Have not seen clear evidence that insects are neurologically developed enough to consciously suffer.  Not saying such evidence couldn't emerge in further research, or perhaps that consciousness arises in large colonies - a "hive mind," maybe.   Perhaps the best argument for humane lab practices is that it furthers the habit of compassion in humans? 

9 hours ago, Keysi said:

Generally speaking, animal welfare is related to the ability of an animal to suffer in some form. Depending on country, the laws will vary, but typically we assume that animals that are closer to us are more likely able to suffer. So generally, warm-blooded animals are most protected, and this also often extended to animals with a spinal cord (e.g. fish). Local regulations can be stricter than that and some also include e.g. certain cephalopods. 

Beyond that, most animal use is exempt from animal welfare considerations as folks assume that they have limited ability for suffering. This is why no one gets charged with animal cruelty if they squish flies or put out ant killers.