"Rigid airship" using low density hydrogen(LDH)

Lowry

I know now that making a full on vacuum airship is unfeasible for it's compressive properties. So why not just make a rigid airship that is evacuated enough that the hydrogen is no longer significantly dangerous to it's surroundings, using say 25-30% density of neutral hydrogen? What's the weakest compressive material I cod use for that? Could I, in practice make any rigid, non-curved part out of a honeycomb-like structure of LDH-cells? This could be revolutionary in creating lighter weight rigid parts where volume isn't too sensitive and lighter weight is an advantage.

Can someone give me a formula(and tell me all the dependent/constant variables) to get real values on this and fact out the feasibility myself? Thanks.

Air has density ~ 1.29 g/L, Hydrogen has density ~ 0.09 g/L, Helium has density ~ 0.18 g/L. i.e. they are all >> 1000 times less dense than regular solid matter. Magnesium (the lightest structural metal) has density ~ 1738 g/L, Aluminium has density ~ 2700 g/L, and other metals even more.. Mg-Al alloys are used in engineering where low weight is recommended.

How much volume do you want to convert from air to Hydrogen and possibly to vacuum? Try to calculate this based on the size of the device..

Multiply by above numbers and you will calculate possible gain.. and rethink if it is all worth it.

34 minutes ago, Lowry said:

This could be revolutionary in creating lighter weight rigid parts where volume isn't too sensitive and lighter weight is an advantage.

IOW, what is so revolutionary about making balloon or airship?

Edited by Sensei

11 hours ago, Sensei said:

IOW, what is so revolutionary about making balloon or airship?

I wasn't talking about the airship, I was talking about the speculative honeycomb LDH technology. It can be used to make lighter weight rigid parts I said. So rather than having to lift all the weight of the rigid parts of the airship (like the machinic and nonsensitive parts), they will be inherently lighter in weight and thus the airship can have more lift.

1 hour ago, Lowry said:

I wasn't talking about the airship, I was talking about the speculative honeycomb LDH technology. It can be used to make lighter weight rigid parts I said. So rather than having to lift all the weight of the rigid parts of the airship (like the machinic and nonsensitive parts), they will be inherently lighter in weight and thus the airship can have more lift.

..and I was talking about you making measurement of volume, thus indirectly measurement of mass, which you can gain using your technology..

If an engineer has a device made of, say, iron, with a density of 7.87 g/cm^3, and changes it to a magnesium-aluminum alloy, with a density between 1.74 g/cm^3 to 2.7 g/cm^3, he will immediately gain 3-4 times, for example, the device mass will drop from 1,000 kg to 220-290 kg.

Show how much you can gain using your technology..

The air between the elements will weigh more..

Edited by Sensei

You know what, since I made this topic, I have had a completely different idea for airship inflation instead of this one. You see, I'm no longer interested in building vacuum airships, but hydrogen airships with their density reduced.

You know what, since I made this topic, I have had a completely different idea for airship inflation instead of this one. You see, I'm no longer interested in building vacuum airships, but hydrogen airships with their density reduced. I would rather just have hydrogen-based inflation, with the hydrogen evacuated in an inflatable skin only enough that it's danger is greatly reduced, since in a puncture air will seep in, rather than the hydrogen bursting out. At the same time the airship no longer has to deal with hydrogen leakage, a significant bonus. With this idea one can return to using large airships and even the Zeppelin military ship without making significant changes to them, besides reducing the weight by kiloliters of hydrogen and a heavy aluminum shell.

Now, what would be the limitations to that? Please do share.