Does darkness exist ?

Ned

10 hours ago, Ned said:

I think what we call darkness is just simply when objects are not illuminated . 

No shit Sherlock...

Though it does pose an interesting philosophical question, if we think in the dark, how will we see the light? 🧐🤔🙄

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

if we think in the dark, how will we see the light? 🧐🤔🙄

Sounds like you agree that darkness doesn't exist . I can't talk to you about thinking , my last post on thinking got locked !

Photons are emitted by some material, for example, as a result of the temperature of an object (thermal emission). When they hit some material, they can be 1) absorbed 2) reflected 3) refracted. The chemical and physical properties determine at what frequency/wavelength/energy of the photon this will occur. Material may be transparent at one pressure and temperature and opaque at other conditions. We see things around us when photons are reflected by an object toward us and the eye absorbs the photons, causing an electrical impulse to be sent to the brain to decode what we see.

The lack of photons in the visible range of the spectrum does not mean that we cannot "see"/detect objects, e.g. radar does this at different frequencies than our eyes.

6 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Is there any space where no electromagnetic radiation exists? 

I hear you but even in a space where there is no electromagnetic radiation , the space still isn't dark or light , it remains transparent . Space itself has nothing to reflect light therefore has nothing that can be visible dark  . 

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

Photons are emitted by some material, for example, as a result of the temperature of an object (thermal emission). When they hit some material, they can be 1) absorbed 2) reflected 3) refracted. The chemical and physical properties determine at what frequency/wavelength/energy of the photon this will occur. Material may be transparent at one pressure and temperature and opaque at other conditions. We see things around us when photons are reflected by an object toward us and the eye absorbs the photons, causing an electrical impulse to be sent to the brain to decode what we see.

The lack of photons in the visible range of the spectrum does not mean that we cannot "see"/detect objects, e.g. radar does this at different frequencies than our eyes.

Are you sure this information is true ? I know that is how present information desribes sight but what if when we open our eyes , our minds become entangled with quantum fields ? Photons illuminating visible matter rather than reflecting into our eyes ? 

If space is transparent , therefore see through , there is no requirement for photons to enter our eyes to see . My problem with the present information is that science thinks everything we see is based on carrier signals like some sort of TV . Just because we discovered wave energy , that doesn't automatically equate to the same process in regards to vision . 

2 hours ago, Ned said:

I hear you but even in a space where there is no electromagnetic radiation , the space still isn't dark or light , it remains transparent . Space itself has nothing to reflect light therefore has nothing that can be visible dark 

What do you mean by darkness?

We perceive (observe with our eyes) space to be dark (black) because that is the "colour" our brains attribute to the lack of enough photons entering our eyes at the perceptible frequency we are designed to detect. Darkness just means the lack of brightness, in other words a reduction in photons (EM radiation) within a certain frequency that is detectable with the human eye. 

As an example, infra red cameras/scopes etc, makes visible EM radiation at a different frequency that would normally be undetectable with the naked eye. 

2 hours ago, Intoscience said:

What do you mean by darkness?

We perceive (observe with our eyes) space to be dark (black) because that is the "colour" our brains attribute to the lack of enough photons entering our eyes at the perceptible frequency we are designed to detect. Darkness just means the lack of brightness, in other words a reduction in photons (EM radiation) within a certain frequency that is detectable with the human eye. 

As an example, infra red cameras/scopes etc, makes visible EM radiation at a different frequency that would normally be undetectable with the naked eye. 

Darkness is when visible objects are in shadow , space is not black or dark in appearance , that is an optical illusion of transparency because there is no thing that is illuminated to see or no thing within range to see . 

On 9/16/2022 at 8:12 PM, Ned said:

I don't think it exists , I think what we call darkness is just simply when objects are not illuminated . 

Thank you, captain obvious.

That’s the standard understanding of darkness: the absence of light.

30 minutes ago, swansont said:

Thank you, captain obvious.

That’s the standard understanding of darkness: the absence of light.

Yes that is the present definition of darkness but the space between objects is neither dark or light at any time . When the Earths surface goes into nightime , the surface and objects become dark in appearance rather than the space . The space always remains transparent in appearance . 

59 minutes ago, Ned said:

Yes that is the present definition of darkness but the space between objects is neither dark or light at any time . When the Earths surface goes into nightime , the surface and objects become dark in appearance rather than the space . The space always remains transparent in appearance . 

Again, this is a revelation only to you. 

52 minutes ago, swansont said:

52 minutes ago, swansont said:

Perhaps but I suspect many people think that space itself turns opaque when there is no unbounded light in the space  . However , in revelation to all , quantum fields and unbounded light travelling through space are indistinguishable from space in appearance , also being transparent and invisible to the human eye . 

Edited by Ned

27 minutes ago, Ned said:

Perhaps but I suspect many people think that space itself turns opaque when there is no unbounded light in the space  . However , in revelation to all , quantum fields and unbounded light travelling through space are indistinguishable from space in appearance , also being transparent and invisible to the human eye . 

Perhaps you should start your study of physics with a dictionary? "Opaque" and "dark" are different attributes. Opaque basically means "it doesn't let light go through it," while dark means "there is no light there."

13 minutes ago, joigus said:

Perhaps you should start your study of physics with a dictionary? "Opaque" and "dark" are different attributes. Opaque basically means "it doesn't let light go through it," while dark means "there is no light there."

I perhaps should of said visually opaque and put ''opaque'' . I am aware of what opaque means but sometimes there is no other word to use to describe something . Unless you have a better word to use from a dictionary , then visually ''opaque'' will have to do ! 

1 minute ago, Ned said:

What evidence do you have of the existence of darkness other than it being a perception ?

What possible answer to this question wouldn't equally apply to any other claim of existence about anything whatsoever? 

9 minutes ago, Ned said:

What evidence do you have of the existence of darkness other than it being a perception ? 

This sounds distinctly like a bad-faith argument posed by someone NOT interested in anything but their own perspective. Many animals, including humans, have extraocular photoreceptors in our skin and central nervous systems, even inside some of the organs. This supports the concept that light and its absence are detectable outside normal sensory perception. Shadows also support the idea that as you remove light and its properties, darkness is the result. 

3 minutes ago, joigus said:

Photodetectors not clicking.

3 minutes ago, joigus said:

Photodetectors not clicking.

Which detect unbounded wave energy , they don't detect what the space is like in appearance . We can say the space is without unbounded electromagnetic radiation and all objects are visibaly  dark in appearance but we can't declare the space is visible dark because it is transparent and has no mechanism to be dark or light in appearance . 

I understand it is a difficult concept to ''imagine'' but that is what the physics suggests . 

1 minute ago, Phi for All said:

This sounds distinctly like a bad-faith argument posed by someone NOT interested in anything but their own perspective. Many animals, including humans, have extraocular photoreceptors in our skin and central nervous systems, even inside some of the organs. This supports the concept that light and its absence are detectable outside normal sensory perception. Shadows also support the idea that as you remove light and its properties, darkness is the result. 

I am glad you mentioned shadows because if you observe an object that is placed in shadow , you will observe the surface of the object appears darker visually but the space remains visually transparent and unaltered in appearance . 

6 minutes ago, Ned said:

I am glad you mentioned shadows because if you observe an object that is placed in shadow , you will observe the surface of the object appears darker visually but the space remains visually transparent and unaltered in appearance . 

The object IS darker, because there isn't as much light reflected from it. It would still be darker if you weren't looking at it. And if you keep removing the light, darker and darker and darker finally become darkness. Do you understand now?

9 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Absolutely watertight argument.

19 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Evidence 1 

shade.jpg

12 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

The object IS darker, because there isn't as much light reflected from it. It would still be darker if you weren't looking at it. And if you keep removing the light, darker and darker and darker finally become darkness. Do you understand now?

Yes it goes darker and darker in appearance because it isn't being illuminated . The colour of the object becomes darker in appearance but there is no change of wavelength . 

shade1.jpg

Edited by Ned