Why was American space adventure fiction so bland and right wing during the 2000s?

CmdrShepSpectre2183

Back in the 2000s most American sci fi books were bland right wing gung ho stuff published by "Baen".

Russo_covers.jpg

The best space adventures during the 2000s were from British Authors. Alastair Reynolds, Iain M. Banks, Neal Asher, Peter F. Hamilton, etc.

The British dared to dream of space and the future in the 2000s! The British dared to see outer space as a place filled with wonder, awe, and unique alien lifeforms rather than a place filled with war and bugs!

But since James S.A. Corey's "The Expanse" series shown up back in 2011 there has been a boom in space adventure by American authors set in new and creative sci fi futures.

fDz73WG.jpeg

The characters are better. The science is better. The worlds are much more imaginative. They are far less overboard with the excessive right wing politics. Nothing wrong with having an opinion, I dislike both parties to be honest, but the Baen stuff was so political to the point of it being embarrassing.

I wish we had stuff like this during the 2000s. It would have been nice if an American author had given the book world it's own equivalent of "Mass Effect" back during the 2000s.

3 minutes ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

Back in the 2000s most American sci fi books were bland right wing gung ho stuff published by "Baen".

I reject your premise. What reason do I have to replace my own which suspects you have a sampling bias in your book list and it doesn’t adequately represent the population under investigation.

Edited by iNow

Ultimately going to be rooted in culture. Often see a version of the modern or historical British political system in works by British authors for the same reason.

Niven does have a number of works outside of or only tangentially related to the Man-Kzin War series.

Thought Ringworld series was particularly good alongside Integral Trees. The larger conflict is often simply a backdrop for the interspecies or human interactions.

Edited by Endy0816

7 hours ago, CmdrShepSpectre2183 said:

Do you have figures to prove this ?

Since America probably provides both the largest supply and market for SF I very much doubt it.

Though glowing compliments for British writers are welcome, I think they are undeserved.

I see that clarion workshops are still going, after a hiatus during covid and the recent death of Vonda Mcintyre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarion_Workshop

Edited by studiot

!

Moderator Note

Why is this posted in politics?

Where is your evidence to support the thesis? This follows an unfortunate pattern in your threads. It’s too bad, because you can discuss things you like (in the right section)  such as “I really like recent sci-fi” without framing it in the form of an unsupported cherry-picked premise and a conclusion that simply begs the question. But we don’t like logical fallacies, as it makes for poor discussions. Do better.