The next US President. By the people who know the odds.

mistermack

1 hour ago, Peterkin said:

It's not 'momentum'; it's a deliberately engineered and driven international rightward push. https://foreignpolicy.com/2021/01/15/far-right-extremism-global-problem-worldwide-solutions/ , and it's not about change, but the consolidation of power in non-democratic agents. See, there are two problems with democracy: people who understand their own self-interest move toward social services and environmental issues (to improve their living conditions) and the most obvious place to get the wherewithal for those improvements is the enormous caches of wealth accumulated by the uber-rich. The easiest way to stop that trend is to keep yelling "The Economy's on fire and your children will all starve to death!" and "Those Others want your stuff!",  so the uber-rich can keep raking it in and give none of it back. To this end, they support the fire-bell ringing politicians - as long as they're useful. It doesn't need to be Trump, a Cruz, DeSantis  or Rubio will do (I don't think Pence has the requisite bluster; he looks too much like Biden) to keep the yobs and chavs at one another's throats while the overlords gobble up what's left of the planet.  

Thank you for this ,  makes things more scary but at least a little clearer.  But it does make sense.

1 hour ago, Peterkin said:

That's a whole other basket of fish. Let's not try unpacking it here.

Fully agreed.,  lets not go there. 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

Trump is terrible. But I'm a big fan of Ron DeSantis even though I'm not American. I think he has a tremendous chance to win the presidency if he would run in the future. I wish we had more politicians like him in Europe

... why?

Trump is terrible. But I'm a big fan of Ron DeSantis even though I'm not American. I think he has a tremendous chance to win the presidency if he would run in the future. I wish we had more politicians like him in Europe

You wish you had more homophobic, racist commanders who don't want their constituency to question what's happening in a modern world? I know a lot of people here want that, and you're right about his chances of winning, I just didn't realize people in Europe want that. Good to know.

Ron DeSantis stopped the racist and divisive race theory from being thaught at schools and he didn't support the violent black supremacist BLM riots that destroyed whole city centers, so he's pretty much the opposite of a racist. Race theory tells black kids they are losers and white kids they are evil. It's a complete backward ideology

Also the whole 'don't say gay' thing was made up by left wing media, DeSantis banned any sexual content from class 1-3 not just homosexual ones, and rightfully so. 

1 hour ago, Gerry1 said:

Why? All he's saying is what his base wants to hear, or thinks they want to hear. He's the kind of person that will sing a different political song as the occasion requires. He strikes me as a cheap-car-salesman type. 

16 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

Ron DeSantis stopped the racist and divisive race theory from being thaught at schools

It wasn't being taught in schools. It's a collegiate level course that highlights the colonialist approach brought over from Europe. You would benefit from taking the classes, if you're old enough.

he didn't support the violent black supremacist BLM riots that destroyed whole city centers,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests_in_Florida#:~:text=Although the protest was mostly,and punched a police vehicle.

Please read up on this. I think it's unfair to talk about BLM as "supremacists" or "rioters" in this context, especially when it was a few hundred extremists among hundreds of thousands of peaceful protesters. Does it make you feel better to call them "black supremacists"?

25 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

so he's pretty much the opposite of a racist.

He allows Cuban protests to go on, even though they look a LOT like BLM protests, so I'd say he's a racists who knows his constituents.

26 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

Race theory tells black kids they are losers and white kids they are evil. It's a complete backward ideology

And you don't know what you're talking about. I told you that was college-level material, and you've made it obvious you're a parrot for others who didn't take the courses either. You should study up on what critical race theory actually says, and not listen to Tucker or one of the other entertainers.

28 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

Also the whole 'don't say gay' thing was made up by left wing media, DeSantis banned any sexual content from class 1-3 not just homosexual ones, and rightfully so. 

Ah, the left wing media, that fills my BINGO card. What kind of idiot just stops talking about something grade school kids deal with every day? DeSantis, that kind. Sorry, but this kind of ignorance is what people like DeSantis want, and they start by making us dumb and uninformed in class 1-3. And he wants to take money from schools with vouchers, and his latest brainstorm is to hire retired policemen to be teachers so they can teach math and take care of school shootings at the same time. 

I just want a national database that tells me if something was made in Florida by someone with a DeSantis education. Call it consumer protection.

1 hour ago, Gerry1 said:

Trump is terrible. But I'm a big fan of Ron DeSantis even though I'm not American. 

My bullshit detector has smoke pouring out of it. DeSantis is a Trump clone, playing to the Trump base.  The rest of this post is somewhat redundant given what Phi just posted. I'll add it, anyway.

CRT was an area of study at some colleges, it's not taught in primary schools.  DeSantis concocted a bogeyman, in order to suppress intellectual freedom and muzzle teachers, and discourage covering darker aspects of our history.  Learning real history, IOW.  CRT does not teach anyone that a child is a loser or evil - do you have one shred of evidence such a thing happened in any public school?

BLM demonstrations were mostly peaceful, included people of all ethnicities, and were legitimate First Amendment protests of police brutality, racial profiling and murder of unarmed suspects.  Incidents of violence were often found to be false flag operations by outside provocateurs.

The Don't Say Gay law was theater for homophobes and nervous RW evangelicals,  purporting to fix another nonexistent problem.  

Are we quite sure, if an admin checks your IP address, it will be in Europe or overseas?  I'll show you mine, if you show yours.

@TheVat The reason I dislike Trump is that he lies about the 2020 election and he's responsible for what happened at January 6th (although the DC Democrats are also responsible by not guarding the Capitol in a sufficient manner even though they knew what was going to happen.) He is also way too old and he seems to have beginning dementia like Biden. 

And why would I lie about being a European?

@Phi for All I'll take the black supremacist bit back but it was incredible when the CNN reporter stood in front of a scenery that looked like a civil war region, with the entire city burning, and was lying about a peaceful protest. 

It's good that Ron DeSantis stops the funding of fake science ideology like CRT and gender studies! There was a time when race theory was taught in Germany and it didn't end well.

Edited by Gerry1

4 minutes ago, Gerry1 said:

The reason I dislike Trump is that he lies about the 2020

What difference does that make? He lies about everything, all the time. He always did, from a military cadet

Within the first weeks of the school year, Company A was rocked by scandal and Trump was at the center of it.

As company commander, Donald was charged with the welfare of some 50 younger boys. Nothing had prepared him for this, nor did he seem interested in the job. Instead, he delegated responsibilities to an underling while he retreated to his room and closed the door.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-the-year-trump-went-astray-20200814-yxu5pcuesrfgpm2pwxonidesnm-story.html

Sound at all familiar?

to a real estate 'developer',

The Trump Organization, the real estate business that catapulted Donald J. Trump to tabloid fame, television riches and ultimately the White House, was charged Thursday with running a 15-year scheme to help its executives evade taxes by compensating them with fringe benefits that were hidden from the authorities.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/01/nyregion/allen-weisselberg-charged-trump-organization.html

to "reality" show star

The conversation arises again -- or should -- given recent New York Times reporting on President Trump's taxes, and revelations that the image created by "The Apprentice" didn't necessarily reflect his status in the business world when the show made its debut in 2004.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/07/entertainment/trump-reality-tv/index.html

So by the time he raised his profile high enough to be lapped-at by the pre-pacified Republicans, why would you expect otherwise? And having gotten away with four years of it, why would he change at the end. 

and on.

On Nov. 2 alone, the day before the 2020 vote, Trump made 503 false or misleading claims....

....By the end of his term, Trump had accumulated 30,573 untruths during his presidency — averaging about 21 erroneous claims a day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/01/24/trumps-false-or-misleading-claims-total-30573-over-four-years/

It fortunate if you really are in Europe and can't vote for  DeSantis, who is a good a faithful apprentice.  .

the Republican governor of Florida, supposedly the "Sunshine State," blocked members of the press from covering a new election reform bill he signed into law on Thursday. The move comes on the heels of DeSantis spreading misleading claims about the last bill he signed into law which increased penalties for rioting.

https://www.salon.com/2021/05/07/ron-desantis-got-caught-lying-at-his-bill-signing-he-blocked-all-media-but-fox-news-at-his-next-one/

1 hour ago, Gerry1 said:

It's good that Ron DeSantis stops the funding of fake science ideology like CRT

We told you before, he didn't. Critical Race theory is college-level coursework. It was an empty gesture, since there were no public school classes funded by the state. See how that works? 

But let me ask you this. Critical Race Theory IS taught in colleges, and the students are often shocked at how little they've been told about the history and origins of racism. Nothing they learned in DeSantis' public schools prepared them to learn what's actually been happening to BIPOC folks in the US. Do you think it's a good idea to withhold the truth from our kids, when someday they might be smart enough to take a college course and learn we've been omitting huge parts of history?

1 hour ago, Gerry1 said:

There was a time when race theory was taught in Germany and it didn't end well.

And this is conflating Hitler's race theory with Critical Race Theory, which is an outright LIE. Are you just repeating what you've heard, or do you really believe this garbage?

We look at examples of extreme fascism and hatred as a way to avoid repeating our past mistakes, yet you would elect another Hitler/Trump/DeSantis manipulator-in-chief? Remember that it didn't end well for Germany, did it?

51 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

And this is conflating Hitler's race theory with Critical Race Theory, which is an outright LIE. Are you just repeating what you've heard, or do you really believe this garbage?

Doesn't that actually indicate that kids should learn more about Critical Race Theory, even if only to not to believe in such falsehoods?

And it is especially funny considering that critical race theory is in part a direct refutation of the modernist race theories.