AI program has possibly discovered new physics variables

Royston

Thought this was fascinating. An AI program developed at Columbia University observes video footage and calculates the dynamics of the system from the ground up i.e it creates variables to model the system. Although the researchers understand some of the variables that have been implemented e.g angular calculations for a pendulum, the rest remains a mystery, it works, but they don't know why it works. ;)

https://scitechdaily.com/artificial-intelligence-discovers-alternative-physics/

A particularly interesting question was whether the set of variables was unique for every system, or whether a different set was produced each time the program was restarted. “I always wondered, if we ever met an intelligent alien race, would they have discovered the same physics laws as we have, or might they describe the universe in a different way?” said Lipson. “Perhaps some phenomena seem enigmatically complex because we are trying to understand them using the wrong set of variables.”

39 minutes ago, Royston said:

Thought this was fascinating. An AI program developed at Columbia University observes video footage and calculates the dynamics of the system from the ground up i.e it creates variables to model the system. Although the researchers understand some of the variables that have been implemented e.g angular calculations for a pendulum, the rest remains a mystery, it works, but they don't know why it works. ;)

https://scitechdaily.com/artificial-intelligence-discovers-alternative-physics/

This raises an interesting philosophical question; we trust more and more knowledge, with fewer and fewer people to advance 'our' understanding of... 

If we can't understand the product of what we've built, how can we trust it?

17 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

If we can't understand the product of what we've built, how can we trust it?

That's the fun bit though isn't it ? I.E I guess the next stage is to decipher the maths...all the information is there, it just needs to be decoded.

Edited by Royston

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe we're moving into the direction of necessary AI duality. It might be a useful endeavor to create an AI with pre-learned physics, mathematics, etc (as we currently understand it) to analyze and rationalize the output and modality of the "discovery" AI. Of course this is a mega endeavor, but I would bet that its already being researched in industry or academia. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.