Bill Maher Vs Sean Spicer

Airbrush

This interview illustrates the bogus argument Trumpers often use to argue the "election was stolen."  They get into the details of court cases in PA, WI, and NV, and pretend they were never thrown out of court.

Bill Maher = B

Sean Spicer = S

B   “What do you think about the “election was rigged” and Trump really won?”

S  “I think there were some serious problems [with the 2020 election].  When you look at PA, WI, and NV, the idea we changed rules running up to an election, in terms of how it was counted.  The PA Dem governor, in 2019, Act 77 was signed by Gov. Wolf, so that all ballots had to be in by 8:00pm.”

(These 3 cases, along with over 50 others, are baseless claims already thrown out of court for no real evidence of voter fraud.)

B   “There was a pandemic, that’s why.”

S   “So change the law.”

B   “There was no time to do that.”

S   “There was plenty of time to pass legislation in all these other areas.”  (This is irrelevant to the fact there was NO time to change election laws for the pandemic.  There was “plenty of time in all these other areas” at a different time.)

B  “This is the rabbit hole you want to go down?”

S  “I do”

B  “Avoid the question?”

S  “No”

B   “Did Trump win or lose the election?”

S   “I don’t know.”  (This is an absurd claim, since the strategy of Trump and company is to pretend to believe the election was rigged and insist Dems must prove the election was NOT stolen, which is absurd.)

B   “There you go, because the world does know.”  (Everyone in a position of knowledge about the elections knows the election was not stolen.)

S   “No wait, first of all, tell me how many votes that got cast ILLEGALLY and not according to the system [unintelligible].”

B   “This was litigated in courts, even Republicans that were in charge of the vote came down on the side this election WAS FAIR.  You said after the election when I asked you about fraud, you said you have seen no evidence.”

S   “I haven’t, but what I have seen is a state…There is a difference…”   (Spicer is babbling nonsense)

B   “There is imaginary evidence?”

S   “No no no…there is a difference.  PA supreme court did what WI courts did.  They let people…WI does not have a provision in their law to vote early in person.  It has an absentee ballot provision.  People set up tables in parks in Madison WI, allowed people to come without ID.  In PA they were allowed to vote without ID.  No post mark on the ballot, in violation of Act 77, signed by a Dem governor in 2019, and the answer is “don’t worry about it because there was a pandemic.”  What’s the next thing you can just blow away?  A law is a law, until it is changed.  You don’t get to pick what law you want to follow, depending upon what’s happening outside.”  (Again, courts have already thrown out these cases)

B   “Again, this was looked at exhaustively.  (Bill Barr and Pat Cipallone, devoted Trumpers, could find no evidence or substantiate any claim for the kind of voter fraud Trumpers claim.)

S   “It’s not.  That’s not true though.  What was looked at, for example, in WI, the court ruled 4 to 3.”  (This was totally irrelevant material, inserted to make him sound knowledgeable.)

B   “Ok Sean, I get it.  You know what?”

S   “You accuse me.”

B   “You said your piece.  You are like that kid in school.”

S   “Who is right!”

B   “Who has to answer about a book report.  So he reads one page, very carefully, that nobody else has read.  We don’t know what you are talking about.”

S   “You do….It’s your show”

B   “What I do know is this was looked at by people of BOTH parties and they came down that Trump LOST this election, but you wson’t say it.   Either your part of a big lie or your part of a conspiracy”

S   “It’s not a big lie.  The WI audit committee just released a report.  I have it here.”  (This was already thrown out of WI court)

B   “You are afraid of Trump”

After that Spicer goes back to repeating his earlier claims about the states of PA, WI, and NV, which were already rejected by the courts.

Edited by Airbrush

16 hours ago, iNow said:

I’d ask you what exactly you wish to discuss, but last time I did that I got neg repped and I try to adjust my behavior based on social feedback. 

I should have started with "Did anyone catch this interview?  Do you have an opinion on this GOP technique to perpetuate doubt about the 2020 elections?"

Or anyone is free to challenge me that this interview is bogus.

Edited by Airbrush

52 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Do you have an opinion on this GOP technique to perpetuate doubt about the 2020 elections?

It’s working, and they’re going to keep doing it in even more nefarious ways because of it being rewarded. 

Btw +1. Good questions ✌️

Either side can bitch and complain about a lot of things with regard to election fairness (including how many citizens are not just disallowed to vote while incarcerated, on parole, or even after serving their time; because apparently we wouldn't want any of them to buy in to the collective agreement and obligation...but that's probably off topic)... but the results were the results, with no remaining doubts significant enough to come close to indicating a win for Trump.

When Gore lost to Bush it was many orders of magnitude closer and eventually for the good of the country he moved on...where Trump, for the good of Trump...still carries on. Not totally surprising.

Why some do it with him...to everyone but Trumps detriment...is more than a little puzzling to me.

3 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Either side can bitch and complain about a lot of things with regard to election fairness (including how many citizens are not just disallowed to vote while incarcerated, on parole, or even after serving their time; because apparently we wouldn't want any of them to buy in to the collective agreement and obligation...but that's probably off topic).

I mean fundamentally it is about whether everyone should have a vote (which sounds, you know, democratic) or whether there one should limit votes to a select group (aka the "good" folks).

You have to wonder when people like S Spicer are going to realize that all their ass-kissing, and bowing at the altar of D Trump, will never get them anything.
The very first time they have a difference of opinion, no matter how small, with D Trump, he will turn on them and try to ruin them, just as he has done with all the other 'useful idiots' during his previous administration.
Do these arguably intelligent people actually believe the shit they are spewing for the 'orange clown's benefit ?
Or are they doing it in the hope of some personal gain in the midterm, or next Presidential elections ?
Can the short term gain be worth the ruin of a political carreer ?
( apparently a lot of Republicans think so )

5 minutes ago, CharonY said:

You forget that that it is not only about Trump. Rather he is ingratiating himself into the GOP ecosystem which allows him to get things like book deals, pundit and speaker jobs and so on. 

They should have given him a proper job like a gardener when they caught him hiding in the shrubbery. 

https://gizmodo.com/correction-sean-spicer-wasnt-hiding-in-the-bushes-he-1795117363