Joe Biden says he ‘has’ cancer thanks to oil industry

SergUpstart

He does seem to have been suffering some confabulation for quite some time now. I'm not sure how fast he's declining. Considering the position he has questionably been elected to, he seems to holding up better than many expected, opinion polls notwithstanding.

43 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

he has questionably been elected ,

Seriously? A Trumpet?

General comment: It's not unusual for basal cell carcinoma to recur, even several years after successful treatment. And it's quite standard for cancer patients to consider their condition on-going for five year observation period after they are 'cured'. Whether he had basal cell or squamous cell (the two common types of skin cancer) it's not entirely inappropriate to refer to it in the present tense. Neither one is debilitating; neither effects the patient's mental or physical capability.  

I had a basal cell carcinoma removed recently, a procedure that is quite routine (over half of adults will get one, in the US) for older adults.  They are nuisance more than true affliction.  My annoyance was at the number of risk mitigating factors I had (not an outdoor worker, never a swimmer or beach bum or lifeguard, dark brown hair, long adherence to the 10/4 rule for yardwork or hiking, wearer of hats) and yet still with the face lumps.  

LOL the alien baby - Chelsea thing!

1 hour ago, Bufofrog said:

Seriously?  Questionably?  Maybe bigfoot is involved too.🙄

There's no question that there was pervasive and blatant voter fraud, suppression and intimidation. Biden won in spite of it: no question about that.

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Just a few short years ago, we used to call them "tabloids" and the people who believed them "morons." Today, we call it "right wing news."

Gosh so did we over here.  I remember that.  +1

Now we have the Tik Tok, Twitter  and other well researched and corroborated media instead.

Edited by studiot

4 hours ago, Bufofrog said:

Seriously?  Questionably?  Maybe bigfoot is involved too.🙄

6 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Seriously? A Trumpet?  

The questionable part was the Dems putting him on the ticket, well past his prime, when he really never was capable enough at any point in his career.

The only thing Trump had to do with that was the Dems being afraid they would lose to Trump with anyone else.

I will certainly admit he was not as pathetic a choice as Trump.

You have 300+ million people...

4 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

The questionable part was the Dems putting him on the ticket, well past his prime, when he really never was capable enough at any point in his career.

The only thing Trump had to do with that was the Dems being afraid they would lose to Trump with anyone else.

Well, you advocated for someone who is irredeemably centrist. Since they are a dying breed, you have to take what you can get.

5 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

He was  put on the ticket in large part because it was realized that he had the electoral  beating of Trump and could appeal to the "Rust  Belt"

Also a very decent,if flawed man

8 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Well, you advocated for someone who is irredeemably centrist. Since they are a dying breed, you have to take what you can get.

I still think most Americans are reasonably centrist...but the politicians seemed to have done the Lemming thing, so your point is of course valid.

23 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

The questionable part was the Dems putting him on the ticket

That was tens of millions of primary voters across the states who did that, not the "Dems."

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

The questionable part was the Dems putting him on the ticket,

Only you didn't say "Nominated with questionable judgment"; you said "questionably elected" Two very different matters.

I'm with JC on this one.

It is certainly 'questionable'.
As evidenced by 40 % of your citizens believing J Biden did not actually win.

IOW, it is being questioned by the electorate.

2 hours ago, MigL said:

I'm with JC on this one.

It is certainly 'questionable'.
As evidenced by 40 % of your citizens believing J Biden did not actually win.

IOW, it is being questioned by the electorate.

I've heard more like 30% (not sure about that 40% number, though I know an Axios poll about six months ago did put it around 40) will say Biden didn't win on a poll, but half of them know perfectly well that Biden won, with maybe more like 10-15 percent who are genuinely members of the cult and truly believe.  

I think the psychology is something like racists who fear black folks moving in and lowering their property values.  They will say that black people are crime prone and do drugs and throw trash in the yard, but what they're doing is asserting a sort of group delusion that keeps them in the club and the wagons circled.  Many know it's a lie, but admitting it as such threatens the group cohesion. 

Getting back to the Stop the Steal delusion -- if you ask for evidence, they just deflect or say "people are saying..."  A telltale that they know it's not real.  

5 hours ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I still think most Americans are reasonably centrist...but the politicians seemed to have done the Lemming thing, so your point is of course valid.

It really depends on how you define it, but here is something to think about:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-moderate-middle-is-a-myth/

But unlike independents, moderates are more likely to be Democrats. The average moderate in the Voter Study Group data is solidly center-left on both economic and immigration issues. This, I think, has mostly to do with linguistic history: Republicans have long embraced the “conservative” label, but for decades Democrats ran away from the “liberal” label, leaving “moderate” as the only self-identification refuge for many Democrats. (Only recently has “liberal” again become a fashionable identification for the left.)

I.e. the position of folks who think of themselves as moderates are actually more center-left than truly moderate. And another conclusion that came from various analyses including this one is that the positions are kind of all over the map. Is someone who has a strong conservative stance on immigration but a very liberal in of healthcare really left, right or moderate?

If you think you can hedge your bet by simply taking the most neutral position possible (a bit like Biden is trying) then you are trying to appeal to an incredibly small fraction of the voters. Or to put it differently, putting out centrist policies is not going to win a significant group. If anything going economically to the left is more advisable to catch the centrist vote, the rest is rather more or less based on the flavour of the day (or whatever facebook decides, I guess).

14 minutes ago, CharonY said:

If you think you can hedge your bet by simply taking the most neutral position possible (a bit like Biden is trying) then you are trying to appeal to an incredibly small fraction of the voters. Or to put it differently, putting out centrist policies is not going to win a significant group. If anything going economically to the left is more advisable to catch the centrist vote, the rest is rather more or less based on the flavour of the day (or whatever facebook decides, I guess).

May one ask? What is a 'centrist' policy? Or a 'centrist' vote? Is anybody at the actual center of anything - assuming anything non geometric has a locatable center?

If we define 'moderate' to mean reasonable, careful, tepid, rather than half-way between the currently presented alternatives, it probably would describe the older Democrats. Many of the young one, who might actually get something done given their head, are neither moderate nor half-hearted. 

Even if 40% of people think the moon is made of cheese, they can be deluded, misinformed and dead wrong. Even if 99.8% of the people sincerely believe Earth is flat, they're still wrong.  

Edited by Peterkin

31 minutes ago, CharonY said:

It really depends on how you define it, but here is something to think about:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-moderate-middle-is-a-myth/

I.e. the position of folks who think of themselves as moderates are actually more center-left than truly moderate. And another conclusion that came from various analyses including this one is that the positions are kind of all over the map. Is someone who has a strong conservative stance on immigration but a very liberal in of healthcare really left, right or moderate?

A couple of things here. I never claimed it would be easy, I just think it can be done by some reasonable common sense centrist. He or she would also have to no doubt have the charisma and oratory skills of a Kennedy, Obama, Bill Clinton, or Reagan.

Sanders could have been that guy if not so far "Left" economically. I don't see the overall positions of either Party being particularly advantageous. It seems more they hope to get everyone to hate the positions of the "other side"...enough to get them to get out and vote for something most don't really want.

Might look like "no man's land" in the middle, but I think most are getting tired of the sometimes absurd positions of the fringes, the corruption, and the lobbying that makes money count more than their votes.

57 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Even if 40% of people think the moon is made of cheese, they can be deluded, misinformed and dead wrong. Even if 99.8% of the people sincerely believe Earth is flat, they're still wrong.  

No wonder most know the moon landing was faked...no obvious sign of cheese on set...and if they can't even get that right...