Why can`t one sense god?

Overkommer

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

Really? You've never had an earworm?

So are you trying to tell me that, "your voice" has never been influenced by anything or that when you think of a phrase like "are you talking to me" you don't hear a New York cabbie looking in a mirror?

That's your personal bias Angel, whispering in your ear.

There goes the insanity defense.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 2:53 PM, Overkommer said:

Let`s say your`re a very sensitive person that picks up everything in your enviroment, but you never sensed that anything was made from him, or that you can sense him also, an higher being, I know a god can in theory, do anything he wants, even hide himself, I guess, but how is it really possible to hide himself that well and when you look at a rock, for example, it doesn`t look like it`s made by someone? How can someone make something and hide himself 100 %, there`s always a signature of you if you make something? I`m a nature-person myself and very sensitive, and I tried to look at rocks, for example, and see if it`s really is made by someone, but, I wouldn`t say things in nature looks dead exactly, but not like it`s made of someone ether..

Hi, @

IMHO

the assumption that "one can pick up everything in the environment" needs to be debated here.

We know there are 5 senses. but these senses cannot cross sense. meaning, the tongue cannot hear, the eyes cannot taste and so on.

like wise, the Creator, bestows upon His creatures (those who genuinely strive to look for Him) senses that make them aware of Him. thanks to current technology, Examples of those abound around us. 

A cellphone from late 1990s might still work but will not be capable of streaming youtube or netflix. Even though it lays immersed and bathed in the waves carrying that information. The waves and wavelengths that we have no way of sensing. 

We as humans, have created cities, gardens, monuments, so on. (Almost) Always with the object of geometric regularity (straight lines, definite shapes). You step out in "nature" and you don't see any of that, in the visible world at least.

No two leaves are alike, no two trees, the rocks and mountains-irregular shapes, animals, etc 

can the feeling of standing at the beach watching and hearing those ocean waves be compared to looking at the New York skyline?

can gazing at the stars endless and countless from your patio on a breezy night be compared to say, looking outside of an airport lobby?

can looking at the grand canyon be compared to the burj khalifa?

the signatures are there. 

BUT...deep down when you move into the Molecular subatomic level...you start seeing definite shapes....may be not...but thats another discussion

OR ... go into mega macroscopic celestial level and you see the giant planets and stars

35 minutes ago, FullMoon said:

We know there are 5 senses. but these senses cannot cross sense. meaning, the tongue cannot hear, the eyes cannot taste and so on.

I'd like to debate this statement...

Synesthesia is when you hear music, but you see shapes. Or you hear a word or a name and instantly see a color. Synesthesia is a fancy name for when you experience one of your senses through another. For example, you might hear the name "Alex" and see green. Or you might read the word "street" and taste citrus fruit.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/what-is-synesthesia

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 7:42 PM, FullMoon said:

Hi, @

IMHO

the assumption that "one can pick up everything in the environment" needs to be debated here.

like wise, the Creator, bestows upon His creatures (those who genuinely strive to look for Him) senses that make them aware of Him. thanks to current technology, Examples of those abound around us. 

A cellphone from late 1990s might still work but will not be capable of streaming youtube or netflix. Even though it lays immersed and bathed in the waves carrying that information. The waves and wavelengths that we have no way of sensing. 

I would agree with you that god works a little bit worse than a cell phone from the 1990s.  "Wavelengths that we have no way of sensing".

Time for a system upgrade from an "omnipotent being".  

• 5 months later...
On 10/2/2022 at 9:36 PM, MigL said:

Other than the 5 senses, any other kind of 'sensing' is usually a delusion of your own mind.
Sometimes, delusions are a defensive mechanism that the mind uses to cope with harsh circumstances.

There are more than five senses. 

I once sensed an entire marching band, just around a blind corner in a country lane. When I walked around the corner, there was nothing there, just a large waterfall just yards from the road. It was an audio hallucination, but very real at the time. 

So one might not sense god, but other ones definitely can, and do so all the time. 

And they're probably round the bend, like I was. 

On 7/10/2022 at 9:53 PM, Overkommer said:

Let`s say your`re a very sensitive person that picks up everything in your enviroment,

..your self-confidence about your abilities is overestimated.. you cannot even detect the things the application does on the computer or smartphone which you hold in your hand..

57 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Then MigL's point stands. "...any other kind of 'sensing' is usually a delusion of your own mind."

How can you prove that this is not what they are looking for?

4 minutes ago, Michael_123_ said:

So you're saying that your sense of propioception is a delusion? Or a bat's echolocation is a delusion?

Brain in a vat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat

3 minutes ago, Sensei said:

How can you prove that this is not what they are looking for?

Brain in a vat:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat

All I was responding to is the erroneous claim that there are only five senses.

4 minutes ago, zapatos said:

No, I'm saying the ability to sense god is a delusion.

Great. I agree. I was only correcting the belief that there are only five senses.

9 minutes ago, Michael_123_ said:

Great. I agree. I was only correcting the belief that there are only five senses.

Quite right. Which just means more to go wrong. 

When you are hosting the malarial parasite, one minute you're freezing, the next you're overheating. When I stood next to the window in the Empire State building, I felt the world spinning. And I often feel I'm being hilariously witty. Senses can really let you down.

And give you the wrong idea.

Senses give you information about the world around you.
They let you see, hear, taste, smell and touch the outside surroundings.
Propioception gives internal information to your nervous system about speed and extension of musculature.No information about the outside world, so not a sense.
Echolocation is a highly developed sense of differential hearing, that helps locate external objects by reflected sound. A sense, but simply, a slightly better one than our hearing.

Do you have any actual senses other than the standard five ?

7 hours ago, MigL said:

Senses give you information about the world around you.
They let you see, hear, taste, smell and touch the outside surroundings.
Propioception gives internal information to your nervous system about speed and extension of musculature.No information about the outside world, so not a sense.
Echolocation is a highly developed sense of differential hearing, that helps locate external objects by reflected sound. A sense, but simply, a slightly better one than our hearing.

Do you have any actual senses other than the standard five ?

I think there are four. Taste and smell are variations of the same sense.

OTOH, some animals sense Earth magnetic field. Some animals sense electric field. These are two other senses.

One more: sense of gravity/acceleration. Isn't it another sense?

12 hours ago, mistermack said:

I once sensed an entire marching band, just around a blind corner in a country lane. When I walked around the corner, there was nothing there, just a large waterfall just yards from the road. It was an audio hallucination, but very real at the time. 

So one might not sense god, but other ones definitely can, and do so all the time. 

And they're probably round the bend, like I was. 

10 hours ago, mistermack said:

Quite right. Which just means more to go wrong. 

When you are hosting the malarial parasite, one minute you're freezing, the next you're overheating. When I stood next to the window in the Empire State building, I felt the world spinning. And I often feel I'm being hilariously witty. Senses can really let you down.

And give you the wrong idea.

I understand that these are examples of perception rather than sensation.

Edited by Genady