English Language - words, meanings and context

Intoscience

5 hours ago, Intoscience said:

This is very common were I live. My ex partner who was from out of the area originally constantly reminded me of this. Her view was similar to mistermack's that people from the area should get a better education on the English language. However she often took it a step further, which was one of a few things that irritated me, by insinuating that all the people from this area are "thick cavemen". 

The use of different dialect and slang doesn't bother me, I find it quite charming. 

What is the story with the actual pronunciation of the letter "H" ?

Is it "aitch: or  "haitch"?

I have heard both (we need to know)

:)

37 minutes ago, swansont said:

Or maybe it's because he's not a lawyer. Every profession has its own nomenclature, and people outside of that profession won't be as well-versed in the language that is peculiar to it. As Peterkin notes, "quash" is likely one of those terms.

He knows now ;)

12 minutes ago, geordief said:

He knows now ;)

Yes, but perhaps you've had the experience of knowing something is A or B, but the topic is sufficiently esoteric, and encountered so infrequently that you can't remember which one is correct. (and then the 50/50/90 rule comes into play) 

I've had this happen to me on several topics

27 minutes ago, geordief said:

I have heard both (we need to know

Well, I'm no linguist so I could not say with any conviction.

All I do know is that in the area I originate from the H is dropped in the pronunciation of almost every spoken word, e.g.

Have - ave

Happy - appy

Hate - ate

How - ow

Edited by Intoscience
spelling

27 minutes ago, geordief said:

I have heard both (we need to know)

Casting my memory back nearly sixty years, when they were trying to teach me a smattering of french at school, I seem to remember the term " ash aspire" ( my own spelling ) which meant a 'breathed' aitch. So maybe it comes to English from French, and they specify a distinction between the two. 

Aitch derives from French. Posh people follow that, hence  the derision by them for haitch. The structural form of the letter H is derived from Latin, pronounced haitch, therefore, I would say the 'correct' pronunciation,  if one is to be originalist,  is haitch.

1 hour ago, geordief said:

Yes,pretty interesting (is that canned laughter,though?)

I don't know, it might be, but I don't think so. I've heard the original, and it's very wooley sound, so this is a version that's been worked on digitally, hence the slightly artificial sound.

Some wisdom about English I've read over the years:

English was a language invented by Norman invaders to pick up
Anglo-Saxon barmaids. It retains much of this character.
     --- Either from H. Beam Piper or Paul Drye's English professor Peter Newman 

English doesn't "pick up" loan words, it consciously stalks them.
     --- Andrew Moffatt-Vallance 

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
     --- James D. Nicoll 

On 7/7/2022 at 12:46 PM, mistermack said:

Casting my memory back nearly sixty years, when they were trying to teach me a smattering of french at school, I seem to remember the term " ash aspire" ( my own spelling ) which meant a 'breathed' aitch. So maybe it comes to English from French, and they specify a distinction between the two. 

Don"t think so 

I don't see any pattern when looking at aspirated  french words and non aspirated french words vs their counterparts in the English language .

Nothing stands out to me ,anyway (could be buried in history)

I am not sure of the history of the well pronounced  "h" in either language -It did exist in Latin  on paper but I have no idea how it was actually  spoken.

Probably (=certainly),as with  us it varied across the  regions.

Wikipedia says :

"In French spelling, aspirated "h" (French: "h" aspiré) is an initial silent letter that represents a hiatus at a word boundary, between the word's first vowel and the preceding word's last vowel. At the same time, the aspirated h stops the normal processes of contraction and liaison from occurring.[1]

The name of the now-silent h refers not to aspiration but to its former pronunciation as the voiceless glottal fricative [h] in Old French and in Middle French.[citation needed"

It's all greek to me. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirated_h   

1 hour ago, mistermack said:

Wikipedia says :

"In French spelling, aspirated "h" (French: "h" aspiré) is an initial silent letter that represents a hiatus at a word boundary, between the word's first vowel and the preceding word's last vowel. At the same time, the aspirated h stops the normal processes of contraction and liaison from occurring.[1]

The name of the now-silent h refers not to aspiration but to its former pronunciation as the voiceless glottal fricative [h] in Old French and in Middle French.[citation needed"

It's all greek to me. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirated_h   

That sounds like the way some of us pronounce "gotten" where we drop the "tt" and say "go-en" with the "tt" replaced by what I would call a "global stop" and may be the same thing as that "voiceless  glottal  fricative" in your link.

A "fricative" sounds like it  should mean "caused by rubbing" and "glottal"  means "connected to the tongue" (from Greek)

Edited by geordief

Saw this just now on CNN

"France and Germany weary over reduced Russian gas supply as Nord Stream 1 pipeline closes for maintenance"

Obviously  "wary"  but is that a computer error or could it be  a genuine  error?

A quick search seems to indicate that it may be a common(ish?) mistake to make

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/weary-vs-wary-difference-usage

(When I was at school   we had a cruel nickname  for our old Maths teacher.  He was called "Weary")