How not to keep too warm OR cold under a costume...

ScienceNostalgia101

So for a geek convention coming up in a few months I was... considering dressing up as a cartoon animal. (Been going a little too mundane with my prior cosplay and wanted to make up for lost time.) But I'm worried about being too warm in it, so I want some sort of coolant between my outer costume and inner clothing. Icewater, I presume, would be a little too drastic and probably result in frostbite, if not hypothermia. (Even if I found a material watertight enough to make it work.) However, is there any other coolant whose equilibrium temperature is a little more comfortable; not too hot, not too cold?

Sounds too complicated. Why not put that thought and effort into selecting a material that doesn't get too warm? Something that allows air circulation. Of course, it depends on what sort of animal you want to be and how much fur it absolutely must have.

If I were at a convention, wearing a furry costume over that vest, I might have some trouble a. replacing ice-packs without being noticed and b. getting the ice-packs. Not a bad deal for +/-$35... or, you could just make pouches inside the costume itself for free. In either case, if the venue is too cold for comfort, the same pockets can hold heating packs. https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Go-Reusable-Heat-Packs/dp/B016OA5YK0/ref=asc_df_B016OA5YK0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167137526383&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18189880561444574356&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019129&hvtargid=pla-307480580326&psc=1 also from the amazing amazon.

Edited by Peterkin

Probably best. Then, you can choose to have nothing underneath* if it's hot or several layers of clothing if its cold, and adjust accordingly.

(*advisable: underwear with a pocket for ID and contact number in case of rioting and arrest)

I've worked in areas requiring tyvek suits in humid conditions. Hot enough to get myself to blow air up one leg of the suit using a vacuum in reverse.. Unbelievable cooling effect (though I've been generally drenched in sweat inside the suit before doing it). Looked like the michelin man as the suit expanded.

I've also used positive pressure breathing apparatus powered by a battery strapped to my waist which gave a cooling effect as well, albeit just in the head area. I haven't done it but thought some combination of the two would work to good effect and be practical. Some sweating may still apply.