Fungus growth removal

Hi All,

My motorcycle meter has developed a fog inside the glass.

Neither oven to 60 °C of vacuum evaporated the fog.

I took a closer look and conclude to a fungus. Seen from under, identification may be tricky!

I can inject a liquid inside and not soak the dial or touch the mechanism. Tried 100% isopropanol.

I can put the front glass in an ultrasonic water bath, what solution inside?

Peroxyde and alcool rinse or pool chlorine+water or javel ?

Finally water+dishwasher rinse?

A Greek Windex soak?

Arrow on point inspected

Cel + Loupe

4x obj10x obj

The process I suggest is to place the speedometer in front of a fan for a couple of days.  No heat, no cold, no chemicals, no wiping.  With any hole to access a illumination light bulb opened, and come back with results.

I've heard of this on DSLR camera lenses that are stored in dark, humid conditions.

If you can get at it ...
Mild H2O2 ( 3-6 % )would kill the fungus.
Mild acid ( vinegar ? ) will prevent its growth.

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

If the surface is damaged cerium oxide powder might polish it out. Jewller's rouge (iron oxide) is another, but cerium oxide is finer.

No way to reach there inside, this is not sealed but riveted shut.

5 hours ago, Moontanman said:

That is interesting, a fungus that grows on glass? Is it etching the glass? this link may help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_fungus

Thanks, would be a similar case.

Disassembly is impossible, however there is an opening in the back to access the edge of the dial. There is a gap with the side to inject and retrieve liquids using a syringe.

Vinegar suggested is easy to rinse out.

20220617_154201.jpg

5 hours ago, Moontanman said:

That is interesting, a fungus that grows on glass? Is it etching the glass? this link may help.

What we see is fungii from under, the white root attachment on the glass offers a proper angle for reflexion lines. Then the color is darker gray when not touching the surface.

4 hours ago, Eric Girard said:

Disassembly is impossible, however there is an opening in the back to access the edge of the dial. There is a gap with the side to inject and retrieve liquids using a syringe.

20220617_154201.jpg

What we see is fungii from under, the white root attachment on the glass offers a proper angle for reflexion lines. Then the color is darker gray when not touching the surface.

May i ask what brand/model of motorcycle we are talking about? 

7 hours ago, MigL said:

I've heard of this on DSLR camera lenses that are stored in dark, humid conditions.

If you can get at it ...
Mild H2O2 ( 3-6 % )would kill the fungus.
Mild acid ( vinegar ? ) will prevent its growth.

I had a lens I tried to sell to a camera shop and was  told it it had mould on the inside surface. That was unfixable because it was in the coating.

10 hours ago, Eric Girard said:

I can't see rivets, but if there are some you can drill them out. 

If it's sealed at the factory by pressing the chrome ring into shape, you can carefully bend it back just enough to get the ring off. 

Like this :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gAbn7IY8LI    

I chose this way, encouraged that I may not be too crazy!

Got it without too much pain, just enough...

Smells like an old shed, will make sure to treat the whole thing against molds!

image.thumb.jpeg.42a6b1a9254be9c53db0dfdec5f5b6f6.jpeg

15 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Hi, this is a 1998 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE

I also had to operate to remove a little tingle in the right muffler. The piece of tube on the far left.

The rattle at certain revs was "quite disturbing" to the mechanically minded!

image.thumb.jpeg.93e9d1d33d49dc40d3b1436ff5b8b3e2.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Eric Girard said:

I also had to operate to remove a little tingle in the right muffler. The piece of tube on the far left.

1 hour ago, Eric Girard said:

Good luck with that, I am thinking of restoring an old yamaha vmax, still looking for the right one but a 1998 model is my preferred target. 

18 hours ago, Moontanman said:

On 6/22/2022 at 3:12 PM, Moontanman said:

2 hours ago, Moontanman said:

Good luck with that, I am thinking of restoring an old yamaha vmax, still looking for the right one but a 1998 model is my preferred target. 

Thanks and good luck too!

Was not supposed to be a restoration project, bought the bike after 30 years not riding. A now or never moment lasting 3 years so far.

Had new tires put on it and ended up with a leaky rear tire valve. $150 to replace.

Had the valve replaced at another Honda dealership, was suspect of having no weight for balance.

Tested myself and found an imbalance. When asked to redo, a 7.5 g weight was placed. Said they don't put weight if less than 10 g!

I would not ride a modern superbike with up to 10 g wheel imbalance!

So, doing it ourself is way more fun and reliable!

13 hours ago, Eric Girard said:

Had new tires put on it and ended up with a leaky rear tire valve. $150 to replace.

I'm amazed. In this country, they fit a new valve as standard practice. And if it leaks, they would not charge to rectify it. 

I fit my own tyres. last one was the rear for a Honda VFR 800. £32 as new off ebay. As compared to about £130 fitted at the dealer. It was an easy job too, with the single sided swing arm, it just unbolts like a car wheel. 

16 hours ago, Eric Girard said:

Thanks and good luck too!

Was not supposed to be a restoration project, bought the bike after 30 years not riding. A now or never moment lasting 3 years so far.

Had the valve replaced at another Honda dealership, was suspect of having no weight for balance.

Tested myself and found an imbalance. When asked to redo, a 7.5 g weight was placed. Said they don't put weight if less than 10 g!

I would not ride a modern superbike with up to 10 g wheel imbalance!

So, doing it ourself is way more fun and reliable!

I agree, a wobbly tire on a superbike is a non started for sure. I had one of the first Kawa 900s, it rode like it had an extra hinge in the frame. Annoying as hell to ride in a tight curve, in the mountains that could be a death flaw for sure.

Borax 

Potassium Iodide

Check mixture for explosion beforehand.

Borax: possible oxidant

SSKI: possible oxidant

Mixture should be ... effective against fungus. Mix borax into warm/hot water, add SSKI. 
SSKI: 1g Potassium Iodide + 1 mL distilled water 
svg.image?_{19}K^{+}_{53}I^{-} + svg.image?_{1}H_{8}O^{2} = 1g/dry wt. + 1g/mL = 100g + 100mL : salt + solvent = saturated solution

Borax ... Sodium Borate Heptahydride. Anti-Fungal. 4tsp. + 4tsp. boiling water for mirror injection treatment, assuming you can succuss (shake) meter after injection.