January 6th Committee Broadcast

StringJunky

1 hour ago, TheVat said:

Trump wrote. “Nothing like this has ever happened to a President of the United States before.”

Trump still hasn't gotten it into his head that he is no longer POTUS. He is an ex-POTUS. 

And while it is true that nothing like this has happened to an ex-POTUS either, neither has there ever been an ex-POTUS who warranted such, until now. * 

It is telling that when the news of the search by warrant broke, the big question of "What are they looking for?"  came not from surprise that he was suspected of a crime, but from not knowing which of the many crimes he is suspected of they were looking for evidence of.

*Even Nixon had the sense to resign and broker a pardon by promising to ride off quietly into the political sunset.

3 minutes ago, Janus said:

It is telling that when the news of the search by warrant broke, the big question of "What are they looking for?"  came not from surprise that he was suspected of a crime, but from not knowing which of the many crimes he is suspected of they were looking for evidence of.

Don't forget the crimes we haven't even heard about yet. My first thought was that we're going to hear about something Alex Jones confessed about Trump, or that someone checked Trump's Twitter feed and found a comment that supports him being taken to Walter Reed to remove a wad of chewed up documents from his colon. But you're right, that he's a suspect held zero surprise for anyone.

Agree - the reaction has been, in essence, that he's above the law, rather than he's innocent.

The division of the FBI that visited in June was Counterintelligence and Export Control 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/08/politics/mar-a-lago-search-warrant-fbi-donald-trump/index.html

They told TFG's people to lock up the room where the documents we stored

The Counterintelligence and Export Control Section (CES) supervises the investigation and prosecution of cases affecting national security, foreign relations, and the export of military and strategic commodities and technology. The Section has executive responsibility for authorizing the prosecution of cases under criminal statutes relating to espionage, sabotage, neutrality, and atomic energy. It provides legal advice to U.S. Attorney's Offices and investigative agencies on all matters within its area of responsibility, which includes 88 federal statutes affecting national security. It also coordinates criminal cases involving the application of the Classified Information Procedures Act. In addition, the Section administers and enforces the Foreign Agents Registration Act of 1938 and related disclosure statutes.

https://www.justice.gov/nsd/sections-offices

As far as the "Deep State" cries that have gone up over this:

The federal judge that signed off on the search warrant and the FBI director were both appointed by TFG, and I saw something that suggested the DOJ attorney that executed the warrant was, also.

38 minutes ago, MigL said:

So, I'm guessing the D Trump Presidential Library is very sparse.

It's a toilet

I thought the walls of the bathrooms at Mar-a-Lago were wallpapered with classified documents ?
What was the Trump/Republican rallying cry 5-6 years ago ? "Lock her up" regarding H Clinton's possibly classified e-mails.

Why is the 'Law and Order' party so upset when the law is applied to them/theirs ?

LOCK HIM UP !

( did he actually change the law in 2018 for this type of crime from a one year incarceration to 5 years ? )

• 2 months later...

Congress subpoenaed Trump in the hearing today. He’s a dangerous, deranged criminal and will surely ignore it. 

They also showed that at as early as July 2020 Trump was already saying he’d deny the election result. 

There we’re also lots of Secret Service documents confirming they were aware of and readying for violence at the Capitol as early as 2 weeks before the 6th. 

And they reinforced how many people were begging and pleading with him to do something and tell the crowd to leave which he refused to do for hours. 

8 hours ago, iNow said:

Congress subpoenaed Trump in the hearing today. He’s a dangerous, deranged criminal and will surely ignore it. 

They also showed that at as early as July 2020 Trump was already saying he’d deny the election result. 

There we’re also lots of Secret Service documents confirming they were aware of and readying for violence at the Capitol as early as 2 weeks before the 6th. 

And they reinforced how many people were begging and pleading with him to do something and tell the crowd to leave which he refused to do for hours. 

Is that the most effective installment to  date? Can anyone watch those fly on the wall scenes without being  drawn in?

I was fascinated by the interplay btw Schumer and Pelosi.

Both under extreme pressure.

1 hour ago, geordief said:

Is that the most effective installment to  date?

Well, it was the season finale of Insurrection.

1 hour ago, geordief said:

I was fascinated by the interplay btw Schumer and Pelosi.

Or how effectively she was working with leader Mitch McConnell and VP Mike Pence when it really mattered.  No politics, just doing what needed doing. 

25 minutes ago, iNow said:

Or how effectively she was working with leader Mitch McConnell and VP Mike Pence when it really mattered.  No politics, just doing what needed doing. 

No histrionics either from where I was sitting, even though she  was making  the point that those  ignorant and pitiable thugs  had  been incited by the (still then) "President"

I think those Trumpists who can bear to watch may try to claim it was unfairly edited.

If it was to any degree they only have themselves to blame.

Fascinating also how we saw the tv screen as Pelosi et al tried to gather support  from the National Guard (?)and how they were watching events  unfold but we are supposed to give credence to the idea that Trump was not watching  as well (several witnesses to the contrary )

• 1 month later...

The four charges against TFG the committee recommends the DOJ look into:

1. Obstruction of an official proceeding. Iirc, this one carries up to 20 years in jail with it, and seems the most obvious of the charges to me, since there's so much evidence he failed to stop it even after people died.

2. Conspiracy to defraud the United States. I hear they have over 1200 witness testimonies stating TFG knew the election was legitimate but didn't want to look like a loser by admitting it.

3. Conspiracy to make a false statement. TFG was prepared to go ahead with certifying a false slate of electors if Pence had played ball. This one is worth up to five years in jail.

4. Insurrection. He roused them up, told them to come to the capitol to save their democracy, refused to tell them to stand down, praised the insurrectionists for their efforts, and has expressed zero regret for the deaths and violence he caused. This is the one that would prevent him holding office again.

Tomorrow we should see the panel report that lays out evidence for the DOJ, if I've understood that correctly. That report is the evidence that the DOJ claims to be waiting for before pursuing an investigation of their own.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64034782

3 hours ago, Phi for All said:

That report is the evidence that the DOJ claims to be waiting for before pursuing an investigation of their own.

Just to be pedantic, they have already been investigating regardless of what the committee did or does, including having a special master appointed so as to minimize the risk of it being viewed as partisan (not that it will matter to the “I could shoot someone on 5th avenue and not lose any” supporters) 

On 12/20/2022 at 9:05 PM, Phi for All said:

The four charges against TFG the committee recommends the DOJ look into:

1. Obstruction of an official proceeding. Iirc, this one carries up to 20 years in jail with it, and seems the most obvious of the charges to me, since there's so much evidence he failed to stop it even after people died.

2. Conspiracy to defraud the United States. I hear they have over 1200 witness testimonies stating TFG knew the election was legitimate but didn't want to look like a loser by admitting it.

3. Conspiracy to make a false statement. TFG was prepared to go ahead with certifying a false slate of electors if Pence had played ball. This one is worth up to five years in jail.

4. Insurrection. He roused them up, told them to come to the capitol to save their democracy, refused to tell them to stand down, praised the insurrectionists for their efforts, and has expressed zero regret for the deaths and violence he caused. This is the one that would prevent him holding office again.

Tomorrow we should see the panel report that lays out evidence for the DOJ, if I've understood that correctly. That report is the evidence that the DOJ claims to be waiting for before pursuing an investigation of their own.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64034782

The J6 committee also claimed in its summary report on Monday that a Trump-backed attorney urged a key witness to mislead the committee when giving evidence to them.

CNN has since claimed that Stefan Passantino - the top ethics attorney in the Trump White House - was the lawyer who allegedly advised his then client Cassidy Hutchinson to tell the committee she did not remember key details. Before giving testimony Cassidy Hutchinson dropped Passantino and got a new lawyer.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/jan-6-committee-final-report/index.html

Passantino and his law firm Elections LLC were being funded by a PAC (political action committee) called ‘Trump Save America’. By Tuesday, Passantino’s biography had been removed from the website of a mid-western law firm where was a partner, and he is now said to be on ‘a leave of absence’.

Given that lawyers, especially jurists, are supposed to avoid ethical conflicts of interest like this, it’s unlikely to be the end of this particular matter.

Edited by toucana
Removed redundant 'the' in para 2

On 12/20/2022 at 5:19 PM, iNow said:

Just to be pedantic, they have already been investigating regardless of what the committee did or does, including having a special master appointed so as to minimize the risk of it being viewed as partisan (not that it will matter to the “I could shoot someone on 5th avenue and not lose any” supporters) 

Forgive me if I failed to acknowledge the diligence shown by Merrick Garland. His non-partisan, ultra-cautious, barely noticeable approach has taken very little breath away from me, so I should have plenty left to sing his praises.