What's the story behind your username?

LazyLemonLucas

18 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I got called a string junky when I was trying out so many different guitar string sets on my new guitar of the time, trying to find the perfect ones.

Well, did you?

I always want to know how people's quests turn out. (quest junky ?)

37 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Well, did you?

My name is my (now dead) dog's.I just bought a  brand new Fender  paramount acoustic and wonder if I need to change the strings.I normally do that when they break or get too rusty but this is a new instrument and I am curious as to how it could sound.

Mind you they say it may take a few years for the wood to mature so maybe just wait😀

33 minutes ago, TheVat said:

A woman is arrested for attacking her husband with his guitars.

Judge: First offender?

Woman: No, I started with the Gibson.  Then a Fender.

I wood upvote but then I wood have to downvote. Ah feck it I will then.

2 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Well, did you?

Ernie Ball Earthwood Bronze 80/20 12-54's and 11-52's.

1 hour ago, geordief said:

My name is my (now dead) dog's.I just bought a  brand new Fender  paramount acoustic and wonder if I need to change the strings.I normally do that when they break or get too rusty but this is a new instrument and I am curious as to how it could sound.

Mind you they say it may take a few years for the wood to mature so maybe just wait😀

They vary in core wire guage, wrap wire guage and wrap wire composition and core wire composition in any combination of those and there is also the subjective stiffness on the fingers. Unless you specifically like the dead string sound, between 1-3 months would be about right. Leaving them until they corrode is asking for your face or eyes to get whiplashed by a broken B or E string one day.

16 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Ernie Ball Earthwood Bronze 80/20 12-54's and 11-52's.

They vary in core wire guage, wrap wire guage and wrap wire composition and core wire composition in any combination of those and there is also the subjective stiffness on the fingers. Unless you specifically like the dead string sound, between 1-3 months would be about right. Leaving them until they corrode is asking for your face or eyes to get whiplashed by a broken B or E string one day.

No I don't like the dead string sound but I don't like the brand new string sound either.

I have had a guitar for over 50 years without understanding the basics of what strings you could use or even what woods  might sound better or different.

This new guitar was a shock as it is at least twice as light as what I have been using all my life.

I would rather it was heavier but I got the next  (000) size down as that was all there was in my specs and it turns out fortuitously that it fits my little fingers a lot better and so  it is much easier to actually play.

47 minutes ago, geordief said:

No I don't like the dead string sound but I don't like the brand new string sound either.

I have had a guitar for over 50 years without understanding the basics of what strings you could use or even what woods  might sound better or different.

This new guitar was a shock as it is at least twice as light as what I have been using all my life.

I would rather it was heavier but I got the next  (000) size down as that was all there was in my specs and it turns out fortuitously that it fits my little fingers a lot better and so  it is much easier to actually play.

I'm the same on sound. Jangly new strings are not my cup of tea. Try the Ernie Balls I mentioned, they have that played-in sound straightaway and aren't premium priced. Get the guage that suits your taste and I wouldn't leave them on for more than a year, 6 months would be better. On a 000 size, probably 11-52 or 12-54 would probably be the optimal range. 000 necks are a touch shorter with closer fret spacing than dreads, so the strings will feel slightly more bendy for the guage. I had a 000 built, my nephew has it now. Nice comfortable  size.

Edited by StringJunky

Mine came from me wanting to create a youtube channel about 2 years ago pretaining to reasoning about world events. And drawng "A Line" between the real and imaginary. Did not go so well and I wanted to...well Idk, but here I am. 

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

A woman is arrested for attacking her husband with his guitars.

Judge: First offender?

Woman: No, I started with the Gibson.  Then a Fender.

Reported for jocular  plagiarism.🤔

Edited by geordief

1 hour ago, geordief said:

You make me nostalgic. Decades ago, I had a sweet little Nunez classical, very light, nice mellow tone...

I gave it to my brother because he played better than I was going to. 

My username: I'm hoping to live up to age of 100 with body of 40-50 years old. I'm still going a bit strong, although highly doubt I will reach 100 years old age (e.g. can't predict future).

In my mind when if I am at that 100 years old age, I imagine myself beaming down to Earth from a space station after living in there for a long time. I survey around in a middle of beautiful nature and look all puffed up like certain superhero characters portrayed in some comic books - painted by Alex Ross. Heh, I'm getting a bit too out there and being silly.

16 minutes ago, tylers100 said:

My username: I'm hoping to live up to age of 100 with body of 40-50 years old. I'm still going a bit strong, although highly doubt I will reach 100 years old age (e.g. can't predict future).

In my mind when if I am at that 100 years old age, I imagine myself beaming down to Earth from a space station after living in there for a long time. I survey around in a middle of beautiful nature and look all puffed up like certain superhero characters portrayed in some comic books - painted by Alex Ross. Heh, I'm getting a bit too out there and being silly.

I missed Halley's comet in 1986 due to cloud and told myself then I'm going to have stay alive until I'm 99 when it comes around again. 39 more years. It's just passed the halfway mark of 75-76 years.

Edited by StringJunky

13 hours ago, iNow said:

I remember you from another forum before you shortened your moniker. ;)

13 hours ago, Moontanman said:

many many moons ago I was awakened rather rudely on the beach under a full moon, I was naked with a bottle of tequila in the sand beside me. They asked me what I was doing and I said getting a moon tan, the rest is infamy. 

You were on that other forum with INow too Moontanman, back in 2006, the good old days lol.

Mine is boring because it's just my email, which is my name and the initials of my first company.

When I started to play strike force, back in the day, I was playing on a mates account; so, effectively, a noob playing as a pro, but killing the player's that assumed my blindly running around like a headless chicken, was some sort of tactic.

When I bought the game and needed a name of my own, my mate suggested dimreepr, and since it seems to be unique on the tinterweb; I use it for everything...

12 hours ago, LaurieAG said:

I remember you from another forum before you shortened your moniker. ;)

You were on that other forum with INow too Moontanman, back in 2006, the good old days lol.

Mine is boring because it's just my email, which is my name and the initials of my first company.

Yeah the good old days, hypography has gone down hill rather drastically. 

10 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I now remember you from that grammar forum where you kept writing "affect" when you meant "effect".

Maybe I am misremembering but didn't I also (iAlso?) have a similar conversation  with @iNow in the fairly recent past?

Might even have   been about effect vs affect.

It seems now the posting behavior of others with my grammar I infect. 

19 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

you kept writing "affect" when you meant "effect".

Not common parlance, no. Definitely not, but I assure you that “affect” was the meaning intended. 

3 minutes ago, geordief said:

didn't I also (iAlso?)

Lol. Nicely done